IGNORED

Ridge Racer 6 For Xbox 360

Graham S

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4218851.stm

The government says it will review all academic and clinical studies linking cannabis use to mental health problems.

The Department of Health says it is now generally agreed among doctors that cannabis is an "important causal factor" in mental illness.

It follows a mental health group's call for the government to investigate "the link between cannabis and psychosis".

Rethink said its reclassification from a Class B to Class C drug sent a "confusing message" to young people.

The charity wants the Commons Health Select Committee to launch an inquiry into the effect cannabis has on users.

Its call was also backed by health campaign group Sane which wants the classification of cannabis to be reversed.

A Department of Health spokesman said it was already commissioning a review.

"We have no objection to the health select committee looking into this," he said.

'Common consensus'

"However we are in the process of commissioning an expert review of all the academic and clinical evidence of the link between cannabis use and mental health, particularly schizophrenia.

"There is medical clinical evidence now that there is an important causal factor between cannabis use and schizophrenia - not the only factor, but an important causal factor. That is the common consensus among the medical fraternity."

It should be legalised, not reclassified.

Iain, Cambs, UK

Your views on cannabis

Cannabis was reclassified last year so that police could target hard drugs.

Home Office figures released on Friday showed that arrests for possession of cannabis fell by a third in the first year of its reclassification.

However, Rethink said there had been a 60% increase in people who smoked drugs and had mental health problems in the last five years.

Most medical experts agree that smoking cannabis in itself does not cause mental illness, but that people who are predisposed to psychosis are much more likely to develop symptoms if they use the drug regularly.

"Cannabis is not risk free," Rethink chief executive Cliff Prior said.

"We have known for years that using cannabis makes the symptoms of schizophrenia far worse in people who already have the illness."

Calling for further research, Mr Prior said the government should "concentrate on the real and specific mental health dangers, not general warnings that no-one takes seriously".

Terry Hammond

It is Russian roulette. For some people it can ease pain, but for others it can be an absolute disaster

Terry Hammond

Marjorie Wallace, Sane chief executive, said Sane has campaigned for 18 years about "the destructive link between cannabis and schizophrenia" and that professionals and governments had ignored years of "mounting evidence".

"Far from it being a relatively harmless recreational drug - for vulnerable people, especially teenagers, the innocent spliff in the playground, or chilling out, could trigger a journey of lifelong disintegration," she said.

Campaigner Terry Hammond says his son, Steve, developed schizophrenia after taking cannabis resin.

'Trigger'

"I have got absolutely no doubt at all, and neither has Steve - Steve is absolutely clear about it - that it was the cannabis that triggered it.

"It may not have been the absolute cause of it, but it was the trigger.

"It is Russian roulette," he said. "For some people it can ease pain, but for others it can be an absolute disaster."

But Steve Barker, of the Campaign to Legalise Cannabis Association, said that by prohibiting cannabis it was preventing information about its use being readily available, while cannabis could in fact aid those with medical problems.

"There is a larger proportion of people with mental health problems who claim cannabis reduces their symptoms than those for whom it is a problem," he said.

"To criminalise people and to put them though the criminal justice system rather than give them the medical support they need is completely wrong."

• 16 years later...

Anyone playing this in 2022?  

I'm loving it on the Series X. It's intense. You can feel the blood pressure rising as you play.  Surely one of the best arcade racers ever....

Except...

Maybe I'm not as good as I used to be, or maybe it's an emulation bug, but level 57 is absurd.  It must have taken me 50 attempts, then I did up to 85 with no issues... And now at this level it's going ultra hard in the same way all the time.

What happens is you start a no-nitrous race.  These are either nitrous free, or you start with one or two but can't earn any more while racing. This, combined with certain more twisty tracks, makes it really tricky to get a good speed going, but when you do, you find the cars forming a wall you can't get past.  Cars in the top 3 positions finish the race within a second of each other, and just as you're about to pass them they fire off nitrous even though it's a no-nitrous race.  Seems unlikely to me that this is emulation based, but I don't remember it being this crazy difficulty before.

I completely finished it last year or something. Every one of those little hexagons and the final cheating bastards. Absolutely loved it but those last couple of races frustrated the hell out of me for a long time. I played most of it back in the early days of the 360 but my current RGH has everything, including saves etc, from back then so I would fire it up now and again for a race so I could finally complete it. 

Think I prefer it to 7 as well. Great game.

57 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

How do you play it on series X?

It’s been recently made back compatible but unless you live somewhere where it’s available digitally (not the U.K. unfortunately), you’ll need a second hand disc copy. As you’d expect, this shot up in price as soon as it become possible to play on the Series S/X.

Prompted by this thread, I’ve just found a second hand copy locally (Singapore) for the equivalent of £11, so pretty happy with that :)

21 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

It’s been recently made back compatible but unless you live somewhere where it’s available digitally (not the U.K. unfortunately), you’ll need a second hand disc copy. As you’d expect, this shot up in price as soon as it become possible to play on the Series S/X.

Prompted by this thread, I’ve just found a second hand copy locally (Singapore) for the equivalent of £11, so pretty happy with that :)

Can I get a digital copy from a region that it was available?

Wasn't RR6 pulled from the EU/UK online shop over licensing issues, which means even if you redeem a US code via VPN your console needs to be region swapped to US every time you want to play it ?

That's what I recall when this got back compat and the disc prices all went up to £25 or thereabouts

29 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Can I get a digital copy from a region that it was available?

Yes with a catch. It’s only available in North America (and possibly Japan) and thus to play it you must have your console region set to one of those countries. Switch back to the U.K. for example and you’ll get an error message on trying to boot the game.

54 minutes ago, womble9 said:

MTC have got a USA code going pretty cheap. I don't see why it wouldn't work (though you may want to wait for someone who knows for sure) when redeemed using a USA VPN.

https://www.mtcgame.com/en-GB/xbox-games-us/ridge-racer-6-xbox-games-us :).

I could redeem that on the MS site with my laptop connected to a US VPN?

44 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I don't want to say 100% yes but I don't see why not. It's a method that's certainly worked for many others (such deals are all over the place on HOTUKDEALS) though in this case I guess it might be different (hence me not being 100%) as it's not actually for sale in the UK.

Hopefully someone who's purchased other none UK games from a foreign store will be able to confirm for sure, unless you want to be the rllmuk Guinea Pig 🐹!

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Yes with a catch. It’s only available in North America (and possibly Japan) and thus to play it you must have your console region set to one of those countries. Switch back to the U.K. for example and you’ll get an error message on trying to boot the game.

Same if you'd try to play the disc version, I assume?

38 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Yes. Alternatively buy USD or Mexico store credit and buy directly through your console without a VPN.

Surely time has passed to the point a Ridge Racer Collection or something would sell like hotcakes?
It’s synonymous with PlayStation, so as a PS5 owner it baffles me how I can’t play any Ridge Racer game on it. Or can I?

9 minutes ago, Junker said:

Surely time has passed to the point a Ridge Racer Collection or something would sell like hotcakes?
It’s synonymous with PlayStation, so as a PS5 owner it baffles me how I can’t play any Ridge Racer game on it. Or can I?

I imagine Ridge 1-5 will work at some point, with the new “Gamepass” service Sony are doing. Maybe they’ll offer the option to stream Ridge 7 as well. The PS3 version is stunning, running at 1080p 60fps which is pretty unusual for that era. I recently picked it up for £4!

I’d love to see a port of the PSP game on Switch, that would be incredible!

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I did this as soon as it went back compat and CEX mysteriously couldn’t deliver the cheap PAL disc I found….. its earlier in this thread but recently done so all ok - just bought some US credit, switched region to US one Xbox added credit and bought it as i recall.

The only issue is you have to reset your series X into US area to play it and back to play any UK locked games - not a real issue as its a quick process.

Just to add to my post above. It's one of those games with a fake out ending (think Ridge games are synonymous with this?). So you've killed yourself beating some magic boosting bastards, finally see the ending, only for a new set of hexagons to show up and for the real total boosting bastards to appear.

No hate, love it. The more magic boosting bastards the better. Especially when you finally beat them.

Out of all my gaming wishes, a new proper heritage appropriate Ridge Racer is number one.

Playing this game when it's old enough to buy fireworks is a revelation.  I compare this to Forza 5 as a demonstration of how gaming has become such a big bloated mess.  Forza has podcasts, real music from bands, announcers, you make a character, you buy a house, you choose pronouns, pick an artificial arm, have a suite of cars in the garage, jump 5000 feet off a cliff, drive through realistic water, and all of it is just overwhelming and boring at the same time.  Ridge Racer kicks Forza into touch, less is absolutely definitely more. 

It feels like 10 times the work went into making Forza5, yet all the extra content makes it too much to bear.   I can't think of a specific course in Forza, out of the hundreds available, that was especially memorable, yet I know every turn of PS1 Ridge Racer like the back of my hand.  

Incidentally, it's another opportunity for me to tell you to try PSP Ridge Racers on the PPSSPP emulator.  Turn the resolution to 4x for 1080p or 8x for 4K and it looks every bit as good as RR6.  Xbox Series or PC, the emulator is amazing.

10 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

indeed

glad I kept the one X on hand for disc-based shenanigans.

19 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Yes. Alternatively buy USD or Mexico store credit and buy directly through your console without a VPN.

Where can I get those credits from please?

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Where can I get those credits from please?

cdkeys would be my go to for us credit. I reckon they might have Mexico too.