Sufjan Stevens

Well, this guy is so consistent it's unreal. Another superb album clocking in over 70 minutes of the goodstuff. Some real highs, some serious soul searching and some seriously long and amusing track titles...

To The Workers of The Rock River Valley Region, I have an idea concerning your predicament, and it involves an inner tube, bath mats, and 21 able-bodied men :lol:

That's Michigan and Illinois down, only 48 states left...

Having heard of, but not heard any, Sufjan Stevens I heard Jacksonville (from Illinoise) on the radio today. Liked it a lot, is that track pretty representative of his work ?

That track is fairly typical of Sufjan's sound, but it's pretty low on my list of favourites from the new album.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although I've just recently gotten into his stuff, I've pretty much loved every single song I've heard so far! Favourites include: The Seer's Tower, Come On! Feel The Illinoise!: Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition/Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream, Casimir Pulaski Day & Romulus...

I think Michigan is on a sale at Amazon at the momento, so I should hopefully be picking that up soon enough!

Michigan is beautiful. Really fantastic. Seven Swans is perhaps the least listened to album of the three for me but has perhaps my favourite Sufjan track. (Can't remember the title, but i think it's number 3.)

Oh and then there's his experimental album "Enjoy Your Rabbit". Well, the less said about that the better i think...

Michigan is beautiful. Really fantastic. Seven Swans is perhaps the least listened to album of the three for me but has perhaps my favourite Sufjan track. (Can't remember the title, but i think it's number 3.)

Oh and then there's his experimental album "Enjoy Your Rabbit". Well, the less said about that the better i think...

Haha, nah I myself actually think it's quite an underrated album of his. Some songs are even reminiscent to artists such as Björk or Danny Elfman!

But either way, it's quite a good 'have it on in the background' album I reckon!

• 1 month later...

Coming into this thread late, but I recently bought Illinoise and think it's probably the best 'non-christmas' christmas music I've ever heard, if that makes sense. Will be buying michigan and seven swans for defs.

This is currently one of my favourite albums. It's absolutely gorgeous. The musicality of it, the arrangements, the range of instruments etc etc.

Also pretty cool lyrics I reckon.

It's so long it sometimes feels like two albums crammed into one. I find I listen to the first half and I'm almost worn out as there's so much to enjoy and concentrate on. So then next time I listen I have to start again.

Come On Feel The Illinoise is one of my favourite tracks - it makes me dance around the room. And Chicago makes me well up.

Absolutely beautiful stuff.

Can't wait to try out Michigan.

• 3 months later...

I think the title track is my favourite, still. It's like a modern symphony, with different movements crossing different styles and feelings, or something. The whole ska-flavoured bit with the offbeat makes me smile every time - completely off the wall, but it's so well done it sounds totally natural.

I think the album is too long. But it's hard to criticize it for that when there's so much good stuff on it, and even the extra filler type stuff is brilliant.

I just think if it was about 45 minutes long instead of 70 odd it would work much better as an album.

I keep meaning to make a version of it, like a playlist, that's cut down to 45 minutes...

• 6 years later...

Only just got around to listening to The Age of Adz.

That last track :o Fucking mind blowing.

I do love Sufjan for this time of year, nice to dig out the Christmas e.p's. I see he released the second batch last month in the Silver and Gold album, I'll have to add them to the collection.

I love the All Delighted People ep as well, if you've not heard that i think it's definitely worth a listen. He makes deceptively simple music that is so effortless in how it flows, his music settles my mind and puts me at ease like nothing else. It's odd because I don't listen to any other singer-songwriter/folk type music (except for Fleet Foxes) and i should find it a bit boring and samey given that I've listened to hundreds of his songs but somehow I don't. I think it's because he's as much of a composer as an anything and his music is never dreary or dull, it's always angelic and organic and lush. I think it's probably far more original than I realise a well. His whole body of work is essential for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKZkYxB1Hk[/media]

In my eyes (or ears) I think Sufjan is one of our generations’ finest composers. Take the vocals away and you could still easily listen to his complex arrangements.

Here's to Sufjan for making my ears tingle with joy. I look forward to the time someone gives him the freedom to soundtrack a few bigger films. More people need to appreciate this man with his disgustingly large array of talents.

sufjan-stevens-xmas.jpg

Now get his new Christmas album on.

I see he released the second batch last month in the Silver and Gold album, I'll have to add them to the collection.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning this. I would have been so annoyed if I only found out about this in the new year. I've listened to his last set every year since they came out, and they have become part of our Christmas tradition. Great to have some more.

• 2 years later...