rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

Weirdly, one of my favourite moments is just before half time when Özil has 2 or 3 teammates open but he just kept going through 3 defenders and took a shot himself.

He missed unfortunately, but good to see him having more of a go. His assists are brilliant, but we'll benefit if he can up his goal tally too.

The transfer policy the club adopts says a lot about their ambition. The plan is to do just enough to ensure Arsenal remain one of the clubs who are there just to make the numbers up. There's no real intention to actually compete at the top level. If we did win the league or CL then it would be out of sheer luck and incompetence of other clubs.

The transfer policy has ended up with us having Özil and Alexis though.

Really great performance, Ozil and Alexis really looked on top form. Thought Campbell looked very good as well, probably his best performance. Lots of nice touches and his build up play was great.

Really great performance, Ozil and Alexis really looked on top form. Thought Campbell looked very good as well, probably his best performance. Lots of nice touches and his build up play was great.

I'm not sure Campbell looked very good, but he had some good moments. I'm sure he's massively lacking in confidence at this level still, when he was by far the best player for Costa Rica he just got better and better, being alongside Sanchez and Ozil is a completely different kettle of fish. I hope he gets there and he's got a great chance right now, but honestly I don't think he will.

Desperately need a centre forward and a top drawer midfielder. We were pretty shit again today. Ox, Campbell, Giroud and Flamini in the same team isn't anywhere near good enough. Cech made an amazing save, could've been worse. One point from West Brom and Norwich is a disaster. Sanchez will be sorely missed. That injury was nailed on.

Fuck off November, you persistently worthless sack of shit.

Need to step up in most departments if we want to win the League.

I admire your optimism but we won't win the league, not with that squad. It won't even be close. As soon as City get into their stride I reckon they'll finish a good 8-12 points above us. At present, we need to be looking over our shoulder, not focussing who's above us such is our form. The dip in form was inevitable once the injuries kicked in, it's infuriating. It was so obvious that it would happen that any half-experienced pundit or anyone who knows anything about football could have told you we'd fall away once injuries & suspension hit us.

You don't win titles with a great 11. You win it with a great squad and we are at least 6-8 men short of that.

Why was Sanchez even playing? Utterly ridiculous.

Because the alternative was Joel Campbell, thanks to the absolutely ludicrous decision to play Theo and Ox against Sheffield Wednesday leaving us with no other options out wide.

Where it's gone wrong was playing Alexis far too much earlier in the season, even though we had proper options. Rushed back in August after the Copa, full 90 against Zagreb etc. That was where the damage was done.

Without Sanchez and Coquelin anywhere near the top 4 sounds ridiculous, let alone winning the league. Both Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Spurs seem more likely and Leicester really don't seem to be slowing down. Betting against Chelsea recovering seems a little silly too.

I'm suddenly Steve levels of pessimistic, it has to be said.

Wenger needs to cover Ozil in bubble wrap, if he gets injured for a month at least too, then 4th could be a huge stretch.

Ozil & Sanchez bounce off each other. If Ozil loses his wingman then it will severely effect his game as no one else is on his wavelength.

I was on my way back from Clarkson, Hammond & May when the train pulled into Finsbury Park yesterday afternoon. A load of boisterous Spurs fans got on the train who were heading home after the Chelsea game and I felt like a covert spy, deep, deep, deep undercover & surrounded by the enemy. Using my finely tuned espionage skills I listened in to their conversations.

After my amazement that some of them were able to string a sentence together, their level of confidence is amazing. They think they are a cert for top four and they believe we are nothing to worry about. They were dismissive of anyone apart from Man City and some of them were even talking about going for the title. They did have a real problem with the likes of Paul Merson & Charlie Nicholas though as they think ex-Arsenal players who are now pundits don't give them any credit. This brings me to my point, we are certainly not a shoo-in for the top four and title talk is ridiculous. Will we strengthen in January? We have to.

What's the current injury list?

Rosicky

Walcott

Welbeck

Cazorla

Arteta

Sanchez

Koscielny

+Wilshere, Coquelin. And Ramsey/Ox only just back and clearly pretty rusty on yesterday's evidence. Bellerin's form has also been poor since coming back from injury.

+Wilshere, Coquelin. And Ramsey/Ox only just back and clearly pretty rusty on yesterday's evidence. Bellerin's form has also been poor since coming back from injury.

Ah yes of course, Wilshire, I nearly forgot he was still there.

So 8 midfielders out, nobody could have that many injuries to one department and not struggle. They really need to get to the bottom of why so many are getting injured so often, it's beyond a joke.

Ah yes of course, Wilshire, I nearly forgot he was still there.

So 8 midfielders out, nobody could have that many injuries to one department and not struggle. They really need to get to the bottom of why so many are getting injured so often, it's beyond a joke.

That's the thing: on the face of it Steve's assertion that we need 6-8 players seems ludicrous, because on paper we have excellent depth in every position bar defensive midfield and centre forward. But the problem is that so many of the players are so injury-prone that they just can't be relied on. Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky, Ox, Walcott and Ramsey all get injured frequently. Theoretically I'd say we have a better squad than anyone bar City, but the problem is that it just doesn't translate in any way into real life depth because everyone is always injured. We're now at a stage where Ozil could probably do with a breather but, due to other injuries, we can't afford to give him one. If he gets injured we really are fucked.

I suspect it is partially down to those players being naturally a bit brittle in certain areas. Arteta's calves are obviously fucked for instance. Wilshere has no ankles. Ramsey has dodgy hamstrings. But over the years we've made several sweeping changes to the club's doctors, physios etc, and yet it still keeps happening. It's hard then not to at least be a bit suspicious of the one constant over all that time, and the one who ultimately calls the shots regarding who plays.