IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

9 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's all going to depend on how they stick the landing. If it's satisfyingly done, this will go down as one of the best Who seasons of recent years. If they fuck it up, it'll make everything we've watched so far seem pointless in retrospect.

This is my worry too, especially as it's all inevitably heading towards a big reset button to give RTD a nice clean slate to work with.

I thought this week's was excellent though, with lots of properly good wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. The boundary between the two time zones and the conversations across it were particularly good. And I liked the way it actually developed the angels, in a way that fits with all their previous appearances:

Spoiler

Every time we've seen them before, they've been after the Doctor, for the same reason they are now, but they've never managed it. Until now!

I still think Ol' Crystal Bonce and Mrs Swarovski Head are a bit rubbish though. And this week's episode had a noticeable lack of Alien Dog Bloke.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

This is my worry too, especially as it's all inevitably heading towards a big reset button to give RTD a nice clean slate to work with.

I thought this week's was excellent though, with lots of properly good wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. The boundary between the two time zones and the conversations across it were particularly good. And I liked the way it actually developed the angels, in a way that fits with all their previous appearances:

Hide contents

Every time we've seen them before, they've been after the Doctor, for the same reason they are now, but they've never managed it. Until now!

I still think Ol' Crystal Bonce and Mrs Swarovski Head are a bit rubbish though. And this week's episode had a noticeable lack of Alien Dog Bloke.

Spoiler

Why were there two time zones?

why was there a rift?

Given the preview promotional shot for the new year special there may be some elements of Flux carrying forward into at least one more special (And I suspect the final two also.

At this point I'm expecting all this stuff with the Division to reach a peak in the final special next year. Given it's going to be a regeneration episode they're going to want to max out the stakes.

Edit* Also I'm absolutely loving Swarm. (Azure far less so). He's strutting around the place camp as hell and chewing the scenery like a universe ending Disney villain and I love it. I kinda wish he could just be a Master replacement but sadly I think they started him out a bit too high stakes for that.

Spoiler thoughts for The Passenger

Spoiler

Proto-Tardis?

Apparently RTD is keen on introducing more Doctor Who Spinoffs. Here's hoping for a Jo Martin side series. Even if it's just a limited run because she's fucking excellent.

Just now, Flub said:

Given the preview promotional shot for the new year special there may be some elements of Flux carrying forward into at least one more special (And I suspect the final two also.

At this point I'm expecting all this stuff with the Division to reach a peak in the final special next year. Given it's going to be a regeneration episode they're going to want to max out the stakes.

Oh, I didn't even realise there were any specials coming up. I though it was two more episodes of this series then over to RTD.

My point still stands though, this is all going to end with a big reset which means future writers can ignore it completely if they so wish.

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Oh, I didn't even realise there were any specials coming up. I though it was two more episodes of this series then over to RTD.

My point still stands though, this is all going to end with a big reset which means future writers can ignore it completely if they so wish.

New Year special, one special at some point next year and then a final new year special. I suppose the final episode could be unrelated but I do think the Division isn't going to wrap up until next year even though Swarm will be beaten in two episodes.

Also I agree with you Darren. Chibs is going to put the toys back in the box for RTD to do what he wants with. At least up to a point. I don't know if the Timeless Child stuff is going to stick but it's possible it might not play out the way we currently think it does (Ruth runs from the Division, gets caught and mind wiped.) There's a distinct possibility of another twist.

7 minutes ago, Flub said:

There's a distinct possibility of another twist.

INT TARDIS.

THE DOCTOR (David Tennant) SITS UP SUDDENLY. HE LOOKS CONFUSED.

DOCTOR: Well, that was different. I've never dreamt I was a woman before.

ENDING CREDITS.

I'm really enjoying Flux - and I was that disappointed with Chibnall's era that I didn't even know it was starting when the first episode was on.  

Plenty of interesting science fiction, some good ideas, some great effects, some excellent new characters - this is what I have been hoping for from the show for a long time now.

I was starting to think the most recent episode was a bit dull, but the extra depths given to the angels won me round in the end.  

47 minutes ago, Flub said:

Edit* Also I'm absolutely loving Swarm. (Azure far less so). He's strutting around the place camp as hell and chewing the scenery like a universe ending Disney villain and I love it. I kinda wish he could just be a Master replacement but sadly I think they started him out a bit too high stakes for that.

Spoiler thoughts for The Passenger

Hide contents

Proto-Tardis?

Apparently RTD is keen on introducing more Doctor Who Spinoffs. Here's hoping for a Jo Martin side series. Even if it's just a limited run because she's fucking excellent.

Paul McGann first if you’re talking mini series.  Thing is would that not confuse the general public on who the current one is?

1 minute ago, davidcotton said:

Paul McGann first if you’re talking mini series.  Thing is would that not confuse the general public on who the current one is?

I don't expect for a moment that we'd get a side series with a different Doctor but if it was possible to have one I'd prefer the Ruth doctor since we know so little about her and to be fair to McGann he's been very, very, very well served by Big Finish.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I don't expect for a moment that we'd get a side series with a different Doctor but if it was possible to have one I'd prefer the Ruth doctor since we know so little about her and to be fair to McGann he's been very, very, very well served by Big Finish.

He has indeed, and it would probably be a bit of a risk when so many people won't have any connection to his Doctor. If RTD does more spin-offs they'll probably based on stuff he'll introduce in his new Who run.

Speaking of McGann's Big Finish stuff though, I've been loving Stranded so far. It kicks off with Eight being, well, stranded on Earth and finding he's somehow become the landlord of the flats that used to be his Baker St. house. I didn't have high hopes, as it combined a "stuck on Earth" story with a much bigger cast than normal, thanks to the tenants, and I think Chibnall's run has shown that Who doesn't work so well with an extended cast. It's been brilliant though, and among other things it's had a few appearances from Tom Baker reprising his "Curator" role.

Big Finish are just great at the moment. I'm most of the way through Dalek Universe 3, which is just as good as the first two and David Tenant remains amazing at playing his Doctor in audio form. Ecclestone's third boxset has just come out too, which should be a treat.

On 04/07/2021 at 19:06, cassidy said:

Not sure if anyone is interested but if you want to see a bloody well put together history of dr who this guys series on YouTube is excellent.  He knows his stuff and it’s very well researched. I have now watched the parts  from Tom up to Eccles and I’m impressed. And will go back to the beginning.  

I've been watching this myself over the last few days, and it's been absolutely superb. I've just got Tennant's episode to go now, at least until we presumably get a Capaldi one at some point.

I can't imagine a better documentary getting made covering the show's history in such detail, with every episode being really well researched and delivered with such good narration.

On 24/11/2021 at 11:08, davidcotton said:

Sigh. I still maintain if they'd gone for a two series current, one series previous Dr, structure leading to a fifth or sixth series combination it would have kept some of the current actors in role as they'd get time off the treadmill. 

I think it'd only be confusing for a little bit and there could be a fair bit of lead in with webisodes, Radio Times comic strips etc. 

I'd even love to see a series from the pov of one of the antagonists. Am entire series of Missy setting something up and then realising she's been played and going after the Daleks or something would have been fab. 

Hey ho. 

4 minutes ago, c-cat114 said:

I'd even love to see a series from the pov of one of the antagonists. Am entire series of Missy setting something up and then realising she's been played and going after the Daleks or something would have been fab. 

As ever... ;)

large.jpg.f08b9fd1c3b386cc040533a0c5d8e3e3.jpg

I haven't listened to the Missy stuff yet mind, although the War Master audios were brilliant.

On 24/11/2021 at 09:46, Garwoofoo said:

going to depend on how they stick the landing. If it's satisfyingly done, this will go down as one of the best Who seasons of recent years. If they fuck it up, it'll make everything we've watched so far seem pointless in retrospect.

It's Chibnall. 

I feel 99% secure in guessing the final ep will have 72 generally ok sci Fi ideas thrown at a wall, will make a frenetic fever dream look drowsy, will answer 6 of the 22 questions it poses, contain one huge series swivelling idea that angers 52% of the audience (current guess is that Dan's a passenger containing Gallifrey for hand wavey reasons), will redo things done before and done far better and will be one more tick of the clock until, hopefully, better things happen. But it'll end on a cliffhanger that sets up the specials and the cliffhanger will be resolved in a terrible way. 

(That said tbh I've pretty low expectations of RTD refresh if honest but not Chibnall low).

It's not boring and I'm still interested to see where things are going, but it was another Chibnall episode where the big secret is just exposited to the Doctor for half an hour. I can't say I'm actually emotionally involved in anything going on, which I really should be by now. I finished the Tennant episode of that YouTube documentary yesterday, and there there were single scenes in that brought back everything I felt back when they aired, and I really hope RTD can return some of that humanity to the show.

Oh god I just read a theory that says this entire season is going to end up being Chibnall's elaborate fanwank for why the third Doctor had a snake tattoo (because John Pertwee had one and they didn't cover it) and it’s going to be true isn't it.

spacer.png
spacer.png

It's just nonsense. It actively completely kills any audience engagement. It's all just irrelevant and meaningless. Why should you care about any of it? With elements given great importance and then dropped immediately. Powered by hope if you say things loud enough and keep introducing new characters/aspect people will just go with the momentum.

Spoiler

Last week the Doctor became an Angel....but it doesn't matter and is undone in 2 minutes. It's just to transport her...somehow.

Dan/Yaz are trapped in a shrinking safe village in out of space....oh no they're not. They were let go (but there were no survivors in the village? but these 4 did and no one noticed) and the village put back because....reason (Angels are cruel maybe?)

Now the 3 of them travel the world (funded how? apart from when Dan has to be a stowaway) to look for the date the world ends (which is there for some reason) based on an previously unknown message from the doctor. Because if they find the date...they can...save the world? (Even though the date is likely 100 years in the future?)

Division is all reaching all powerful with agents everywhere from every species. But no one knows anything about them or ever finds any evidence. (A common problem with secret societies but when Tetcuen is extolling their power/reach it makes it ever more silly)

Oh it's going to be another episode with the villain talking to the Doctor and explaining the plot for 30 minutes.

Vin follows the missing (which are now a thing even though the entire universe is fucked)....to where the Ravages are eating them. Why go through the putting in passengers as salvation to move them to take them out to put them somewhere else to eat? Oh Vins in the passengers now. As is Diana. Who the Ravagers took for some reason, but haven't eaten for some reason.

Kavinasta can see the writing 100 years ago how? But then he doesn't have time travel...

Oh it's a fob watch because of course it is...oh wait the memories were in the Angel for some reason, but are now in the fob watch. Oh and the Flux will make Earth the last point of the universe. Great we're special.

So the Grand Serpent can now travel in time, and wants to get earth destroyed. And no one notices this unaging murderer in ranks for 50 years....oh although he might have one or two followers to help him destroy the world who have prominent serpent tattoos.

The Ravagers have been killing people to build a Psycho-Temporal Bridge to get to the Doctor. Because of course they did. Because they knew she'd get to Division. Even though they'd tried to kill her multiple times before.

Oh Division let the Ravager out (Still don't know how/why the other one lived on earth or what the signal/alarm was about)....Why? The Flux was already destroying the universe for them? 

And now the Sontarans are here to attack again - across Earth's timeline. After just attacking across earth's timeline and being forced back a few weeks/days ago in the story's timeline.

20 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Kavinasta can see the writing 100 years ago how? But then he doesn't have time travel...

I assumed the writing had lasted for 100 years for him to read in the present, then realised it was paint and would have worn away and/or hidden by trees at a future date.

Going to have to watch this part again - it's not very easy to follow as plots become more and more complicated.

I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but this isn't the sort of thing you'd watch as a family with your kids, is it?  Mine would be completely lost by this point.