rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

The audio version sounds excellent. If I win the lottery, I'm going to hire this fellow to narrate my life.

13 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

it does, but I hardly agree with any of it. I guess that’s the beauty of classic Who. But here’s what the recommendations should have been:

William  Hartnell - An Unearthly Child. This is a must see. It’s the first goddam story and it’s still as intriguing and mysterious as ever. 

Patrick Troughton - Tomb of the Cybermen. When Cybermen were actually creepy. YOUUUUU....WIIIIILLLL...BEEEE....LIIIIKE...USSSSSSS....

Jon Pertwee - Inferno. Genuinely gripping thriller with a brilliant gear change that puts a different spin on much-loved regulars

Tom Baker - Hard to go wrong, but it has to be Robots of Death. I showed this to a Who noob recently and they were gripped throughout. If you also want to see how far they pushed the Horror in the 70’s, try Image of the Fendahl or Horror of Fang Rock

Peter Davidson - Yeah, Caves of Androzani is the one. It’s probably the best Who story of all time. But I also love Kinda, a creepy stage play full of unforgettable performances and imagery

Colin Baker - None. They are all shite.

Sylvester McCoy - Ghost Light. It’s a bit Am dram, but it is the most spooky and interesting story of this era

I love ALL these recommendations, but I don't think I'd choose many of them as my favourites for each Doctor (Androzani aside which is an absolute MUST).  God I love the classic series.

Hartnell - yeah okay, I'd agree with An Unearthly Child

Troughton - I love The Invasion.  So many iconic scenes.  Also, The War Games is superb (if a bit long)

Pertwee - Agree with Inferno, but The Daemons is ace, Carnival of Monsters is awesome, and I've always enjoyed The Sea Devils

Tom Baker - bit of a populist answer, but Genesis of the Daleks is incredible and is at the very top of my all top favourites (along with Androzani).  Also, I've always enjoyed Pyramids of Mars and The Pirate Planet

Peter Davison - I like the history referenced in The Visitation, and Earthshock is a guilty pleasure

Colin Baker... erm, yeah - maybe Vengeance on Varos but I really don't think there's much else to recommend

McCoy - his first series is really poor IMO but he grew into the role superbly.  Remembrance of the Daleks is good, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy creeped me out as a kid, but I'd go with The Curse of Fenric as his best.

My favourite era of the show is definitely most of the Pertwee-Baker era.  So many great stories.

• Upvote 3

I grabbed my 30 day free trial for having some Doctor Who in the background while working from home. Episode 1 is go!

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed that Rose sequel, but bloody hell Russell...

Spoiler

having the Doctor be responsible for killing everyone on the London Eye was a bit much!

Its surprising just how well An Unearthly Child holds up after all this time. Shame the next three episodes were a load of tosh about cavemen but then DALEKS and here we are today nearly 60 years later watching the same show.

• Upvote 1

If anyone missed Moffat and RTD's Twitter sessions (Moffat's deleted his :(), this Tumblr has archived many of their comments, with screenshots of the scenes they're referring to:

https://intuitive-revelations.tumblr.com/post/613697477079613440/some-highlights-of-russell-t-daviess-twitter

https://intuitive-revelations.tumblr.com/post/613245012779679744/some-highlights-of-steven-moffats-twitter

Also:

5 hours ago, Flub said:

Its surprising just how well An Unearthly Child holds up after all this time. Shame the next three episodes were a load of tosh about cavemen but then DALEKS and here we are today nearly 60 years later watching the same show.

I have a fondness for the cavemen. There’s something weirdly unsettling about the atmosphere of it, partly nostalgia though I suspect - I have a vivid memory of seeing it for the first time on BBC2 during the “Five Faces of Doctor Who” re-runs they showed in the early 80’s. It was shown in November according to Wikia, which fits with my memory of it being dark outside after school, and watching this creepy old black and white version of the show I only knew in colour with Tom Baker. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I have a fondness for the cavemen. There’s something weirdly unsettling about the atmosphere of it, partly nostalgia though I suspect - I have a vivid memory of seeing it for the first time on BBC2 during the “Five Faces of Doctor Who” re-runs they showed in the early 80’s. It was shown in November according to Wikia, which fits with my memory of it being dark outside after school, and watching this creepy old black and white version of the show I only knew in colour with Tom Baker. 

I'm pretty sure that's when I first saw it too. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Flub said:

I'm pretty sure that's when I first saw it too. 

Yup same here. I have pretty close to the exact same memory as Davros 

• Upvote 1

I have weird glimpses of memories of doctor Who from childhood. I definitely saw the baker-Davison regen, I also have memories of Fraser hinds. Peter Hallam as an angel, (he was a hawk man in Flash Gordon). Stupid fucking Bertie basset. That iranian disabled actor as a caterpillar. Bits of earth shock. Nothing of Colin baker other than rude and arrogant, McCoy talking stupidly fast with a Scottish accent, and Sophie aldred  being preferable to bonnie fucking Langford.

but I never considered myself a fan until the reboot. Or maybe the mcgann tvmovie.

Following on from the communal Twitter rewatch of Vincent and the Doctor a few days ago (#TheUltimateGinger) the next one is going to be The Eleventh Hour, at 7pm on Friday 3rd: