Jump to content
rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

Recommended Posts

On 24/10/2019 at 20:05, MarkN said:

That's just... What? How the fuck did it get there? What? Un - fucking - believable. 

 

 

It was funny.  Just something of its time.  Laugh at it, not with it.  The OUTRAGE this clip has been on the receiving end of from the usual WOKE soy latte drinkers is a bit pathetic.

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure someone who uses double spaces after a period should be casting aspersions on others.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

 

 

It was funny.  Just something of its time.  Laugh at it, not with it.  The OUTRAGE this clip has been on the receiving end of from the usual WOKE soy latte drinkers is a bit pathetic.

It was surprising, and I'll admit  I laughed initially, because it's completely un-PC and I'll happily laugh at things that are un-PC.

 

But it's also completely awful. If you think it's genuinely funny please explain to me why it's genuinely funny (other than shock value).

 

Because other than shock value it is not funny. I laughed the first time because I was surprised by it, but I won't ever laugh at it again. Not because I'm fucking "woke" - (give over with that you tedious twats) , but because it's not actually funny in any way shape or form, other than shock value.

 

Explain how I'm wrong here, please. I don't drink soy lattes if that helps you focus on the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MarkN said:

It was surprising, and I'll admit  I laughed initially, because it's completely un-PC and I'll happily laugh at things that are un-PC.

 

But it's also completely awful. If you think it's genuinely funny please explain to me why it's genuinely funny (other than shock value).

 

Because other than shock value it is not funny. I laughed the first time because I was surprised by it, but I won't ever laugh at it again. Not because I'm fucking "woke" - (give over with that you tedious twats) , but because it's not actually funny in any way shape or form, other than shock value.

 

Explain how I'm wrong here, please. I don't drink soy lattes if that helps you focus on the project.

 

It was just funny for the sheer shock value of Pertwee saying something like that in character. I've seen an article since saying that this video shows why the Doctor should never again be played by a man. I mean seriously - the writer of that needs to get a grip.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

 I mean seriously - the writer of that needs to get a grip.

No they don't. It's an incredibly badly judged clip. It should never have been made. It can't be unmade. I don't care what articles you've since seen say - they're almost certainly propagandist bollocks.  Most of the internet is. It's an awful clip. I laughed on first viewing because it was awful - in a shocking way. It wouldn't have mattered who said it - it was awful. A woman could have said it and it would still be awful. It was awful. Not funny. Awful. Watch it again. It's awful. If you can't see that it is awful then we have nothing in common. It's awful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MarkN said:

No they don't. It's an incredibly badly judged clip. It should never have been made. It can't be unmade. I don't care what articles you've since seen say - they're almost certainly propagandist bollocks.  Most of the internet is. It's an awful clip. I laughed on first viewing because it was awful - in a shocking way. It wouldn't have mattered who said it - it was awful. A woman could have said it and it would still be awful. It was awful. Not funny. Awful. Watch it again. It's awful. If you can't see that it is awful then we have nothing in common. It's awful.

 

 

To suggest the clip means the Doctor should only ever be played by women from now on is ridiculous. So awful yet you still laughed. OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

 

 

To suggest the clip means the Doctor should only ever be played by women from now on is ridiculous. So awful yet you still laughed. OK.

I don't understand what you're saying. That's never even been suggested by anyone other than by you. I've not laughed at the things you're suggesting. Not a scooby, basically...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I don't understand what you're saying. That's never even been suggested by anyone other than by you. I've not laughed at the things you're suggesting. Not a scooby, basically...

 

I said it was an idea put forth by a published article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

 

I said it was an idea put forth by a published article.

So not a funny one, or an apt one, just published one now. That's all you're claiming now. Backing down much at all?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkN said:

So not a funny one, or an apt one, just published one now. That's all you're claiming now. Backing down much at all?

 

 

 

What are you on about?  I never said the article was apt or funny.  I said it was ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2019 at 19:44, The Boatman said:

Jon Pertwee appears in a 1981 Zanussi corporate video (for Zanussi reps):

 

 

 

Keep watching until the end. :o :facepalm:

It's Caroline from The Upper Hand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nabil Shaban was there and gave him a copy, apparently. 
 

“Under a Labour government, unofficial Doctor Who spin-offs will receive the funding they deserve!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all comes down to the writing, but after the last series, it's the least excitement for Who I've had since Time and the rani was broadcast. 

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cassidy said:

It all comes down to the writing

 

This is basically it. The last series had a lot going for it, on the face of it - it looked tremendous, was ambitious in many ways, and I thought Jodie Whittaker was great - but the writing absolutely sucked pretty much throughout. With the exception of the Rosa Parks episode, and possibly the one with the frog, all the episodes were an uninspiring mush of half-baked ideas and uninspiring endings written by people who didn't seem to understand the character of the Doctor at all. It hit an all-time nadir with the one where she boldly saved Space Amazon.

 

Plus yet another long break between series has really harmed it. There doesn't seem to be much buzz around this at all.

 

If they sort out the writing, it could be great, but I'm not holding out much hope.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Agree with every word of that.

Me too. But I also have an issue with Jodie as the Doctor as I feel she lacks that Otherworldlyness. She's a bloody great actress but I just don't buy her as the Doctor. 

 

Maybe that's my issue though. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Agree with every word of that.

 

I don’t sadly. I think lol of the actors are a bit meh, Whittaker and Walsh chief among them. Capaldi, Smith and so on could elevate a bad ep through strength of will. Gomez was fantastic for example and stole the screen. Jodie just fells a bit flat by comparison. Someone, here I think, described her as a bloody good supporting actor and I think that’s it, for me. 

 

That said the principle issues are with the show runner (plus the overall look and design which again is a bit dull as - tardis -or horrendously stupid - the logo and sonic). No enthusiasm musterable at the moment but will watch ep 1 and see what happens from there. At least there isn’t a cliffhanger ending that they'll completely ignore this time. That pee'd me off from the get go in S11. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH, think when J. Whittaker decides to end her run, the Beeb should give the series a well-deserved rest for several years before coming back with a soft reboot/reinvention of DW. The formula is still stuck in 2005, and what made DW feel revitalised and modern back then, certainly doesn’t now.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go back and watch the series from 2005. Today’s Who really isn’t much like that at all. I’d love a return to RTD’s genuinely family-friendly show. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

TBH, think when J. Whittaker decides to end her run, the Beeb should give the series a well-deserved rest for several years before coming back with a soft reboot/reinvention of DW.

 

A change in format away from 45-50 minute episodes in 10-13 episode series might be good, but I disagree with the idea of intentionally giving it a long break, unless absolutely necessary.

 

One of the criticisms that people have had of the programme ever since Moffat's second series (series 6) was split in two is that it hasn't maintained the consistent momentum that it had under Davies. It nearly killed him, but when RTD was showrunner, they made four series over consecutive years (plus Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures and Doctor Who Confidential), which kept the programme reliably high-profile.

 

Then we had series 6 and 7 split in half, and years like 2016 and 2019 where there was only one episode (a special) broadcast all year. IMO the gap particularly hurt Capaldi's run.

 

Whenever Chibnall/Whittaker leave (whoever goes last), of course there should be a break in production if it benefits the show to give the new cast and crew more time to get set up. But "several years" would be too long a gap: ideally, a full series every year (even across changes in showrunners) should still be the target to aim for.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darren said:

So it's back on New Year's Day?

 

Yup. I'd heard the rumours but this is confirmed now. New series starts on New Year's Day

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.