FishyFish

Doctor Who

I was excited for the last one when they showed the fan version they'd based it off.

Then I saw the official one...which was so much worse.

I've decided to start listening to Big Finish stuff again. I'd previously got to volume 5 of their excellent Gallifrey run but felt it was losing steam a little bit (The cast ended up in a parallel universe Gallifrey with no time travel). I decided to carry on with Gallifrey but pick it up after that arc finished.

So I bought volume 7 and 8. 7 is a future Romana played by a different actress and volume 8 is an earlier Romana played by Lala Ward again but in a story that was caused by the events in volume 7 so hopefully that'll be interesting.

The next two purchases I think I'll end up with are Gallifrey - Time War which is the first in the new season of Gallifrey. And then The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield volume 3. I decided to skip the first two average looking seasons because volume 3 has her moving to one of the previously standalone "Unbound" universe and meeting a new Doctor.

• Upvote 1

I listened to the first half of the new Big Finish First Doctor box set, and really enjoyed it. Bradley's perfect in the role, and I think his portrayal here is a lot better than the slightly caricatured version we got in Twice Upon A Time. The actors playing Barbara, Ian and Susan were a bit jarring to start with though, as while they're fine they all sound quite different to the originals, but I did get used to them. The play was really well done, capturing the feel of the era perfectly with its 60s style sound effects and music queues, and the story did something I really wasn't expecting that made me grin. It's great hearing a First Doctor tale that takes into account some of the history retconned into the character over the years.

I'm looking forward to Gallifrey - Time War, although it is starting to feel like Big Finish are going a bit Time War crazy.

I'm quite interested in the David Bradley stuff. Glad you enjoyed it. I think I'll add that to my to listen list.

9 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm quite interested in the David Bradley stuff. Glad you enjoyed it. I think I'll add that to my to listen list.

9 hours ago, Flub said:

I've decided to start listening to Big Finish stuff again. I'd previously got to volume 5 of their excellent Gallifrey run but felt it was losing steam a little bit (The cast ended up in a parallel universe Gallifrey with no time travel). I decided to carry on with Gallifrey but pick it up after that arc finished.

So I bought volume 7 and 8. 7 is a future Romana played by a different actress and volume 8 is an earlier Romana played by Lala Ward again but in a story that was caused by the events in volume 7 so hopefully that'll be interesting.

The next two purchases I think I'll end up with are Gallifrey - Time War which is the first in the new season of Gallifrey. And then The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield volume 3. I decided to skip the first two average looking seasons because volume 3 has her moving to one of the previously standalone "Unbound" universe and meeting a new Doctor.

I'm a bit stalled on my Big Finish listening atm, as I don't have an mp3 player that does bookmarking which is slightly important.  I do have an old ipod classic, but loath to fire that up as I hate itunes.  Should be getting a new android player in a few weeks (backed a decent looking one on kickstarter that's actually due out more or less on time) so looking forward to jumping back in.

Always liked the Gallifrey stuff.  The Time War box set is the next up on my to listen list.  The Bradley stuff (listened to the first one) is pretty good as was The War Master stuff.

Amusingly back in the day, Gary Russell (former BF producer) reckoned they might get a solid 23 releases out before the first license expired and if they did he would have been more than happy with that!

Got some interesting omissions from the Twitch screenings. The Five Doctors, Resurrection/Revelation/Remembrance of the Daleks are all missing, I assume because of the same Terry Nation estate fuckery that kept the Dalek episodes off UK Gold back in the day. I'm not sure how the older episodes (from Destiny of the Daleks backwards) don't seem to be affected though.

I also noticed that Planet of Fire (Peri's introduction!) is missing, but I can't think why. On the flip side, they're including spinoff series K9 and Company!!

I couldn't see any other obviously missing episodes.

On 27/05/2018 at 14:28, Huz said:

Got some interesting omissions from the Twitch screenings. The Five Doctors, Resurrection/Revelation/Remembrance of the Daleks are all missing, I assume because of the same Terry Nation estate fuckery that kept the Dalek episodes off UK Gold back in the day. I'm not sure how the older episodes (from Destiny of the Daleks backwards) don't seem to be affected though.

I also noticed that Planet of Fire (Peri's introduction!) is missing, but I can't think why. On the flip side, they're including spinoff series K9 and Company!!

I couldn't see any other obviously missing episodes.

Tv Movie?

It looks like basically ALL of New Who is available on iPlayer for the next 5 months. So much so that it's actually quite difficult to see all the episodes in one place on the TV app.

10,000 people watching The Time Meddler on Twitch atm too. Not sure if more or less than I expected. Probably more!

I stayed up until half past midnight watching The Time Meddler, The Ark and The Gunfighters. The War Machines looked pretty good too but I had to sleep. :(

I actually enjoyed two episodes of the Gunfighters, which I doubt many people can say.

Also when they get into the shite golf cart at the end of the Ark to get driven back to the TARDIS, someone wrote "THUG LIFE" 

MAROONED 1066 got me to laugh out loud with watching the Time Meddler last night.

This has been great. Giving classic serials a chatroom playing right next to it makes the classic series immensely watchable.

Seeing people take a shine to old companions like Ian and Barbara, Polly and Ben, etc. it all breathes new life into it.

Can’t wait for the Pertwee era. HAAAIII!!! is the new LONDON 1965.

• Upvote 1

On 04/06/2018 at 20:22, Huz said:

It looks like basically ALL of New Who is available on iPlayer for the next 5 months. So much so that it's actually quite difficult to see all the episodes in one place on the TV app.

Thanks for the heads up. I stopped watching after The Caretaker, and then came back for Capaldi's last season, so I've been meaning to fill in the blanks for a while.

Also on the Gunfighters, when the Doctor said "Lucky I didn't need to have my tonsils out" after inexplicably going to the 1800s wild west to visit the dentist, someone wrote "OR AN ENEMA"

The Pertwee trailer on Twitch is disappointingly bad. When the most quotable line is "I should need to put my hand inside!" they need to up their game.

Maybe I was just spoiled by the majesty of LONDON 1965.

The Twitch chat is quite interesting. It scrolls way too fast for anyone to have a meaningful conversation, so you basically just get some of the 5,000 viewers typing memes and observations in ALL CAPS as they see things. I don't know if it's awesome or disconcerting when I think of a droll observation about the episode, then 50 other people type exactly the same thought at once.

And then the way the audience joins together to make memes out of the repetitive trailer that plays - twice! - between each episode. LONDON, 1965!

Hey, it turns out that if you try to watch 14 episodes of Pertwee Who every night of the week, you get pretty bored of the hoo-rah military boys' adventure UNIT stuff.

The Day of The Doctor novel is quite a bit more complicated than the tv version, well worth a read.  Generally a couple of quid cheaper in paperback on amazon usually as well.

18 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

The Day of The Doctor novel is quite a bit more complicated than the tv version, well worth a read.  Generally a couple of quid cheaper in paperback on amazon usually as well.

I recommend it as well.