rllmuk
Strawp

Recommend Me A Whisky

Picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year today, which has been conspicuous in its absence from supermarket shelves for the last few years. Was there a shortage or something? They seemed to have been replaced with the "Founders reserve", which is a really dogshit NAS whisky. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/02/2019 at 19:21, Thor said:

Picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year today, which has been conspicuous in its absence from supermarket shelves for the last few years. Was there a shortage or something? They seemed to have been replaced with the "Founders reserve", which is a really dogshit NAS whisky. 

I remember reading that demand had skyrocketed for aged single malts a few years ago and a lot of distilleries couldn’t keep up with demand. I guess with gin overtaking it in popularity the last few years (and it being much easier to pump out a decent gin without having to age it) they’ve had a chance to catch up.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

I remember reading that demand had skyrocketed for aged single malts a few years ago and a lot of distilleries couldn’t keep up with demand. I guess with gin overtaking it in popularity the last few years (and it being much easier to pump out a decent one without ageing) they’ve had a chance to catch up.

I see the GlenDronach 15 is back (yay!) but now costs £60 a bottle (boo!).

I have far too much whisky in the cabinet, but I'd still buy a bottle of that like a shot if I stumbled upon it on my travels.

This is probably heresy in this thread, but last weekend, on a whim because it was cheap in Tesco (£15 for 70cl), I bought a bottle of Famous Grouse Bourbon Cask. And it's lovely. For reference my favourite single malt is Aberlour 12 and I'm also partial to a good bourbon too. This is a relatively inexpensive way of hitting my sweet spot square on.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

1 hour ago, Darren said:

This is probably heresy in this thread, but last weekend, on a whim because it was cheap in Tesco (£15 for 70cl), I bought a bottle of Famous Grouse Bourbon Cask. And it's lovely. For reference my favourite single malt is Aberlour 12 and I'm also partial to a good bourbon too. This is a relatively inexpensive way of hitting my sweet spot square on.

Your tastes sound like mine, and I'm running low on stocks (I've been playing a lot of RDR2, which demands to be played with whisky). I'm going to, against my better instincts, give this a try assuming my Tesco have it. The worst that can happen is you gain my eternal hatred, and I'm willing to take that risk.

• Upvote 1

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted.