The Beer Thread

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

New Cross Sainsbury's? I saw that on the weekend there.

Not that I'm stalking you or anything...

Nah, we're SW London. I think they're trialling it in quite a number of London sites.

On 15/02/2021 at 15:32, hmm said:

Sure. Arriving tomorrow apparently.

Just discovered that my local Sainsbury's has started stocking some proper craft beers, possibly in partnership with Beerhawk. Not a massive range but pretty cool. I couldn't resist grabbing a can of Brew York's Rhubarbra Streisand.

Thanks for this. Popped into Sainsburys today and picked these up. 

37CDB04D-BABA-421E-8CBE-64D0A1149294.jpeg

On 15/02/2021 at 13:06, Shimmyhill said:

Anyone go for the new Tiny Rebel birthday stuff? I love their stuff so have gone for a birthday pack - one of the new beers is called ‘Shimmy Shimmy’ so had to go fo that!

I haven't touched a Tiny Rebel beer in three years or so after an incredibly disappointing experience with one fo their beers, plus I later heard a few things about them from folk in the industry that turned me off a bit (nothing serious, shocking, or sketchy just a bit poor). Also, the branding is just  childishly terrible. 

On a happier note, enjoying a bottle of Mill's latest blend of Running tonight and it is a genuine world class sour/wild.

Brew By Numbers have done another lockdown box, 24 beers for £75, use code "Fresh 10" to bring it down to £67.50.

https://bbno.co/collections/frontpage/products/hop-selection-lockdown-box

8 x 55 Double IPA – Mosaic & Amarillo

8 x 11 Session IPA – Mosaic

8 x 05 India Pale Ale – East Coast

Bit more expansive than the last box I bought from them but still great value.

Really enjoyed the last lot from them though and will have these as fridge fillers.

The wife signed up for that free Brewdog 4 pack of Lost Lager (when you factor in the shipping it’s probably not that great) but they did include a 20% voucher code for their site if anyone does order from their website. I’m unlikely to do it but the code is PLANTTREES

IMG_20210221_191751_693.thumb.jpg.c4d13b132f22514758c03cef8b7034dd.jpg

Amazingly, this brewed in Manchester Trillium is better than any of the six or seven brewed in Boston Trillium DIPAs I've been fortunate to taste over the last year. 

Also, this is my new favourite glass shape. It sits very comfortably in the hand. 

21 minutes ago, Mike S said:

What the heck is that arrangement?! 

It's a Philips Perfect Draft. Draught beer at home, basically. :D

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-range/perfect-draft

7 minutes ago, hmm said:

How many pints do you get in one of those and how long will it remain fresh? Not sure I drink enough really!

It takes 6 litre kegs and they stay fresh for 30 days. There's a handy display on the machine too so you know how much is left and how many days of freshness are left.

5 minutes ago, Mike S said:

That is very jazzy indeed. 

It's quite extravagant and I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself, but my parents offered to get me it for my 30th last week and I would have been a bit stupid to say no.

Great bit of kit though, I am very much loving the whole draught beer at home thing.

1 hour ago, minstrels said:

It's quite extravagant and I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself, but my parents offered to get me it for my 30th last week and I would have been a bit stupid to say no.

Great bit of kit though, I am very much loving the whole draught beer at home thing.

Nice! 

Looks very tidy indeed.

(happy birthday!)

Not even halfway through it yet! Beers being often rather strong, in 440ml cans rather than 330, and somewhat more expensive than average has led to me savouring them much more. Not that I was ever exactly passing out in a pile of empty bottle these days but it has meant that I've mostly not been having more than one beer of an evening, and I tend to have more days off than on during the week anyway, so progress has been pleasantly slow. The other factor is that I keep picking up the odd extra beer - e.g. I discovered that Morrisons, our regular home delivery option, has some of the Brew York range now - and that hasn't helped!

Anyway, that's enough background. I've been very much enjoying them so far. Here are some (incomplete) pictures of this month's haul:

Spoiler

20210227_093853_copy_2016x1637.thumb.jpg.e1d891d9beb67f78bfe517cf464c09f3.jpg20210227_093822_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.8f073dbb6d0a1174425efd391e6d44a7.jpg

All 5 that I've sampled so far have been great. The Rye IPA was fairly different and very enjoyable. I think my favourite may have been the Double Dark Mild which, besides being a little sticky perhaps, was fantastic - the coffee and chocolate hints were extraordinary considering there were no additives in there. I suppose I'd probably say that the Queer Brewing PA was notable more for the brewery than the beer, which was nice enough but a bit unremarkable, and the LHG Table Beer was excellent for a low ABV but I'd maybe just rather fewer higher ABV beers with more kick in practice.

I suppose the other burning question is on the value-for-money front. It's undeniably expensive, particularly with delivery, and I remain undecided as to whether or not it's worth it. I'll have a better idea after the other six, some of which I'm expecting to be highlights, but I'm at least prepared to trial it for another month at this stage.

Thanks for the post @hmm, I think I'll subscribe.

The Apollo Citra IPA from Alpha Delta is a cracker, I picked it up on a whim in the shop a few weeks ago and have bought it twice again since as it's so tasty.

I had the Dare Mighty Things IPA and the Imperial Nibs Stout on the weekend and they were both spectacular. The IPA was incredibly fruity, and actually looked like mango juice or something it was so hazy, despite anything besides hops in the mix. And the stout, from NZ I think, was like an even better version of the Double Mild I was praising above, the subtle flavourings (including coconut, of all things) really well judged.

I had my first grisette on Friday

“Due to minimal written history on the style, recipe development leaves a lot to the brewer's imagination,” says Seth Morton, head brewer at Jackie O’s in Ohio. “The general architecture that we use is a small inclusion of wheat in the grist, hopped more heavily than saison, fermented without Lactobacillus, and aged in wine barrels.”

It was a To Øl Cutting Clouds, which is aged in an ex-red wine foeder for three months. Really delicious and fragrant without being overbearingly so. Keen to try more grisettes now, and more of To Øl's stuff - although their website says they're not delivering to the UK at the moment due to our glorious independence

image.thumb.png.04083cda2bbafd96eb022b0bf357bdc9.png

3 hours ago, PK said:

I had my first grisette on Friday

It was a To Øl Cutting Clouds, which is aged in an ex-red wine foeder for three months. Really delicious and fragrant without being overbearingly so. Keen to try more grisettes now, and more of To Øl's stuff - although their website says they're not delivering to the UK at the moment due to our glorious independence

image.thumb.png.04083cda2bbafd96eb022b0bf357bdc9.png

Yeah, I used to sub to their monthly box which i'd highly recommend.

The last i received was December - check how great this was for around 60 GBP:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/54270366-1210-48d5-9626-377cf7d1dff1

Sadly, as you mentioned, they've had to stop UK shipping for the time being. My January one got sent and returned and they refunded me. Think that more or less happened for everyone in the UK (a few slipped through with a charge) so they've stopped for the time being.

@hmm, thanks for recommending the hop burns and black monthly sub.

I subscribed on Monday and they contacted me telling me that March's box won't be ready until the 15th, and asked if in the meantime I wanted February's box.

So I now have this:

eIhcB8S.jpg

Such a good selection for a monthly box

Must be a good beer day. 

I needed to top up before the weekend and it was hurried up by the fact St Mars dropped a few cans, one of them reportedly hard to come by so popped by a local bottle shop and got this little haul. Majority are local breweries but also picked up a Vault City who I’ve never had before and a Brew York. 

9FB6767A-E212-4C08-8706-B8B99734215C.thumb.jpeg.f017f65b51e40d2a2bcdc9ec73d6646b.jpeg