The Beer Thread

20201126_185818.thumb.jpg.192c1e4a0c724949b75d3522ef24f049.jpg

Picked up this Kiwi import at my local bottle shop and it's excellent. Extremely smooth, hoppy and hazy IPA with a strong pineapple flavour.

Need to pick up a few more.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I think they pre-date the craft beer scene and that's probably why they come across that way but their beers, even the super market ones, are solid.

That's exactly it. They pre-date even Brewdog. They're also predominantly a cask brewery so they don't need branding to compete with the likes of Cloudwater and Siren.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Treated myself. You can never have enough Axe Edge. 

20201124_094143.jpg

Not the beer it once was. :(

On 26/11/2020 at 15:37, Mike S said:

Treat yourself to a bottle of Cantillon to drink now and one to sit on for years and years or maybe something jazzy from 3 Fonteinen...

Both consistently make lambics of a rare quality.

I visited the Cantillon brewery a few years ago, really worth a visit if you are in Brussels.  I probably got lucky with the day I was there but I got to see a few parts of the brewing process and the smells in there were amazing.  Had a good chat with one of the owners too.  Tour included a tasting in their bar and I bought a few bottles from their shop too.  I loved the Rosé de Gambrinus (lambic with raspberries)

8 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I visited the Cantillon brewery a few years ago, really worth a visit if you are in Brussels.  I probably got lucky with the day I was there but I got to see a few parts of the brewing process and the smells in there were amazing.  Had a good chat with one of the owners too.  Tour included a tasting in their bar and I bought a few bottles from their shop too.  I loved the Rosé de Gambrinus (lambic with raspberries)

We had a bottle of the Gambrinus last year and and enjoyed it very much but I've not had a bad beer by them - they are just perfectly crafted and so full of weird and wonderful flavours and complexities. 

Yes, I would very much like to visit the brewery so think I'll look into a trip to Brussels next year when, hopefully, the worst of this pandemic is behind us. This time last year we had started making plans for a few Europe city breaks to make the most of our final year as EU citizens and did have a tentative Ghent/Bruge via Brussels long weekend on the table but those plans, of course, were all knocked on the head.

On 26/11/2020 at 19:18, minstrels said:

That's exactly it. They pre-date even Brewdog. They're also predominantly a cask brewery so they don't need branding to compete with the likes of Cloudwater and Siren.

Not the beer it once was. :(

Martin Dickie learned how to brew at Thornbridge, so they were semi responsible for Brewdog in a sense. 

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Martin Dickie learned how to brew at Thornbridge, so they were semi responsible for Brewdog in a sense. 

They are a company beyond the ultra marketed chameleon Brewdog really, having visited the Thornbridge bar in York, it was all about quality of the beer - no gimmicks. 

2 hours ago, ucci said:

They are a company beyond the ultra marketed chameleon Brewdog really, having visited the Thornbridge bar in York, it was all about quality of the beer - no gimmicks. 

Brewdog are a frustrating one. They are a decent brewer at heart, but so much gimmicks and pish to wade through. Always feel like I have to support the local lads, but by fuck they don't make it easy. 

Either Brewdog's quality has massively dropped, or they've just been left behind by smaller brewers, but almost all their beers are thin and rubbish now.

It's something about not being able to brew at scale perhaps.

They are the best beer you're likely to find in an off license at 1am, but that's not really saying much.

Punk has changed for the worse, but their original Hazy is still good, and 5am is still lovely when they actually brew it. In terms of my local brewers, I would always pick Fierce over Brewdog, as they make a lot of big imperial porter style beers as well as regular beers which are big on flavour. 

We are pretty lucky up here with the amount of decent brewers that are local to here. As well as those two, we also have Six Degrees North who make great Belgian style beers, then a little further out you have Windswept up near Lossiemouth, and also Brewtoon in Peterhead who have been making a lot of interesting beers of late. 

I think it would be fair to say (with the exception of Six Degrees) that Brewdog opened the door for a lot of these others, and through their bars and stuff like the annual agm they really do great things for the exposure of other brewers worldwide. Like suggested above they are widely available as well so come into their own at this time of year, as folk just tend to buy me a box of Brewdog for Christmas as a safe bet! 

20201129-155433.jpg

I had one of these Barrel Aged Cherry Tonkoko a couple of nights ago and it's superb. I really like the original Brew York Tonkoko, tastes like a dark chocolate Bounty, and there's something about these rich dessert type stouts that suits the time of year.

Bit of a bruiser at 9.5% but amazing depth of flavour. It's aged for 12 months in burgundy casks and it definitely works. There's something tannic which makes your lips pucker in the finish, cuts through the darkness. Very good. I think it's limited so grab it if you see it.