biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I have the Adamantium collection of X-Men, digital download doesn't work so only the monstrous book itself so not got round to reading it yet. Literally have to buy a lectern to hold the thing.

I think it collects a lot of this stuff, but not the Giant Size:

1963 X-Men #1 along with 1969’s X-Men #57 through #59. 

“Days of Future Past” storyarc in Uncanny X-Men #141-142

1982’s X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel

first three issues of 1991’s X-Men series with Jim Lee.

1994 wedding issue X-Men #30 by Fabian Nicieza and Andy Kubert,

#114-116 arc with Frank Quitely.

Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men run is profiled with the first six issues of his run (with artist John Cassaday), then the over-sized Uncanny X-Men #500 released in 2008 featuring the team’s relocation to San Francisco.

first arc of Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen’s return of the original X-Men from 2013’s All-New X-Men.

Any glaring omissions here?

Looks like you're missing the entire Phoenix Saga there (which ends just before Days Of Future Past), so basically all of Uncanny X-Men from #94 up to 1991, depending on how strong your lectern is.

• Upvote 1

Reading Uncanny X-Men from the start it's fun/interesting seeing Wolverine evolving from an annoying and ineffective little midget, to a cool as fuck professional badass, to an annoyingly overused badass who is effectively invincible and immortal.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Naieve said:

My pull list is entirely empty this week, which doesn't happen very often. What's everyone else picking up on wednesday?

Just the Spider-Man omnibus by Michelinie and McFarlan for my this week.

I haven't brought any single issues for about 2 years now - they cost far too much these days and storing them all away in long boxes means I never end up reading them again.

I will be getting Green Lantern by Grant Morrison though next month, as he is one of the very few writers that can persuade me to buy singles still.

57 minutes ago, Naieve said:

My pull list is entirely empty this week, which doesn't happen very often. What's everyone else picking up on wednesday?

Immortal Hulk for me (of course) - up to issue 7 and it's still a gripping run, shaping up to be something really special.

Edit: while I'm here, Swamp Thing update! Up to book 4 (of 6) of the famous Alan Moore run, reading it for the first time. It's even better than I expected! It took a while to grab me because I'm not familiar with the character, so Moore distancing Swampy from established continuity didn't have the intended impact on me. But from book 2 onwards I haven't been able to put it down. Great stuff.

The cliffhanger ending of Immortal Hulk 7 might be the first time a comic made me say 'holy shit' out loud. Am I the only one here reading this? Like I said above, I'm currently also reading Moore's Swamp Thing at the moment and it strikes me that Al Ewing's run on Immortal Hulk (so far) is very similar in the way it redefines the character. In both cases a huge departure from what we have known the character to be, but at the same time Moore and Ewing manage to stay perfectly within, and take unexpected inspiration from, established continuity.

Edit: Ewing even pulls in stuff from the 70s TV show FFS!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The cliffhanger ending of Immortal Hulk 7 might be the first time a comic made me say 'holy shit' out loud. Am I the only one here reading this? Like I said above, I'm currently also reading Moore's Swamp Thing at the moment and it strikes me that Al Ewing's run on Immortal Hulk (so far) is very similar in the way it redefines the character. In both cases a huge departure from what we have known the character to be, but at the same time Moore and Ewing manage to stay perfectly within, and take unexpected inspiration from, established continuity.

It does sound very interesting, hopefully the OHC wont be too far away as I have to make a confession, I don't actually own a single Hulk comic at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

It does sound very interesting, hopefully the OHC wont be too far away as I have to make a confession, I don't actually own a single Hulk comic at the moment.

I do wonder if it's anything near as gripping for someone who doesn't know shit about the Hulk except from the obvious. I suspect it will be fine, I've read/heard people saying that they don't usually read the Hulk but they do love the horror vibe in Immortal Hulk, which in itself is a departure from everyone's idea of the jolly green smash fest adventures the Hulk usually has. One advantage you have with waiting for the OHC is that you'll of course know (either from me posting here or from reviews online) whether Ewing managed to stick the landing. He's dropping hints in the story constantly about where he's going with this, and so far each individual element is very intriguing, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the hell he ties it all together.

21 hours ago, Naieve said:

Turned out there was a new Brubaker / Phillips OGN out, hurrah!

Also the first (of 10) volumes of From Hell in colour. I downloaded it as I've already got the original but might pick them up as it's likely to be a much easier way to read it on the bus and/or toilet. Some of the scenes will be absolutely horrific in colour :boak: 

it's from an issue of some x-men book from this week. From what I remember from the cartoon the character is a guy who runs a gladiatorial arena type thing where they make people fight on TV to entertain the masses. He's like a super-evil TV producer, and now a comicsgate shitlord, I guess :lol: 

Ah, Mojo. Never change.

I got the first two.... deluxe? Ultimate? Whatever collected's of Saga in a Comixology sale and caned through the first ten chapters and it's ace but it feels like someone's illustrating a drunken D&D session that's gone way off the rails. I'm assuming that's just the tone and to roll with it, there's no underlying reason for the odd modern parlance/sci-fi and magic aesthetic?

X-Men Black? I nearly bought that the other day for Mojo fun.

But I've had my fill already with Mojo II : The Sequel in Squirrel Girl already so I stopped myself.