biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

I have no idea what comixology is. I googled it and it wanted me to download an app so I did. The app is pushing unlimited and I don't seem to able to access anything else. 

But, goIng from the last few pages of the forum nobody seems to have unlimited and just waits for sales. Is this the case?  Is unlimited rubbish?

the app doesn't seem to have anywhere for me to sign up to unlimited anyway. It's very confusing.  Do you guys use it?

Unlimited is US only at the moment - if you're in the US you can sign up to it for a monthly fee, but if you're not then you won't be able too. If you're in the UK and have told the app your location (been a while but I think it asks you right at the start?) then it shouldn't be trying to push Unlimited on you.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sandman said:

I have no idea what comixology is. I googled it and it wanted me to download an app so I did. The app is pushing unlimited and I don't seem to able to access anything else. 

But, goIng from the last few pages of the forum nobody seems to have unlimited and just waits for sales. Is this the case?  Is unlimited rubbish?

the app doesn't seem to have anywhere for me to sign up to unlimited anyway. It's very confusing.  Do you guys use it?

If you're on IOS you need to use the website to buy comics. 

• Upvote 1

On 17/07/2018 at 16:25, Charliemouse said:

Am I the only person left that still buys physical books in this thread?

As good as all the bargains are for digital comics, I could never give up my collection of collected comics, they just look so pretty on my shelves for a start.

Digital doesn't work for me with comics, I don't think the tech is there at the moment. I'm fine with a Kindle for 'pure' text, but I don't want to be reading comics on an iPad or laptop screen - I want the whole page in front of me, for a start, and I want the texture. But then a lot of what I read is older stuff, where the medium was factored into the art - newspaper comics were created for newsprint, and four-colour comics were created for cheap paper and crude printing. Sometimes that can come across better in digital - with 50s EC comics, for example, a well-scanned original page looks far better than some of the recoloured, glossy physical archives published by Dark Horse. But those original scans tend to be illicit fan efforts, not the official release.

I guess modern comics that are created digitally probably look great on a device, and I can see the appeal of being able to zoom in on the art, for example. The potential is huge - a digital Artist's Edition, where you could layer the pencils and inks, cross-reference influences and references, and have stuff like Amazon's X-Ray available would be amazing. But for standard buying and reading, I still want the real thing. I've no doubt digital will get there eventually, but for me there's a way to go yet.

The best digital comic I've seen, actually, was the CD-ROM MAD archive I bought in the early 2000s. The interface was bad, as was the style at the time, but it had good quality page scans and a comprehensive index, so you could easily find all references to a person or topic over almost 50 years of content. That was a huge deal, and I could see a similar approach working well for something like Love & Rockets, for example - tracking characters and their interactions, being able to easily switch between original publication order and collected storylines, bookmarking panels, adding notes, searching OCRd text... these are the things I want from digital comics. Not having my life threatened by teetering, overloaded bookcases, slippery piles of comics on the stairs or an infuriated wife are really side-issues at best.

• Upvote 1

Parts of the comic community are really toxic these days, the amount of abuse writers get these on Twitter etc is really disturbing, especially if they dare to write comics with female or minority protagonists.

ooh, Morrison to write Green Lantern as a police procedural in space, presumably with Killowog as the angry captain doing all the shouting . Should be good

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Naieve said:

ooh, Morrison to write Green Lantern as a police procedural in space, presumably with Killowog as the angry captain doing all the shouting . Should be good

I am totally on board for that.

10 hours ago, Spatial said:

Utterly bonkers.

Though can't imagine he'll have many problems with Big Dave being there -  the fact that he's built like Bane can't be a coincidence :D

Hey it's Bane without the mask is literally the first thing I thought