biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

I thought it would be a good idea to set up a little permanent thread for all the folk on Rllmuk who enjoy comic books. My idea is that this is the place where we all keep up with what's happening in the comic industry, chat about our favourite comics and favourite characters, help out new readers and simply have some fun with comics.

Now, I think the best way to work this thing would be if a different person took charge of each different area of comic discussion. I'd happily take charge of all the DC stuff, since I'm a fan of DC Comics, and have a lot to learn on the Marvel front. So what I'd be doing is writing up DC news, feature articles on DC Characters and comics, answering questions about DC stuff and trying to keep some decent DC chat bubbling over within the thread.

So we need some guys or girls who know their comics and are happy to write about them. I figure we could split the sections like this:

DC COMICS: biglime

MARVEL:

INDIES:

MANGA:

So if anyone wants to help out, just raise a hand and we'll all find some way of agreeing on it.

I hope that those of you that are into comics embrace this thread and think of it as an interesting little hang-out. And feel sorry for me, as I try my best to make sense of DC's crazy continuity to answer any questions people might have.

• Upvote 1

Im all for this, i can do what i can as im a regulare marvel fan, as last weeks thread might have shown :P and i also like to pick up new indie stuff when i can.

Got a load of new stuff yesterday to, only read Ultimate Xmen #52 so far, so i never started a thread on it last night cause i wanted a bit more body, ill have my full thoughts and ideas on this weeks by tonight ;)

I try to keep abreast of news and stuff, but sometimes forget :(

Anyways.. lets kick this off and have fun

Okay, instead of starting with something hardcore (I was going to do an article about the different incarnations of the Justice League, but I'll save that) lets start it all off by having some fun.

Why in God's name haven't they made a Justice League of America movie?

Shall we cast one? Yes, let's.

If I was writing a JLA movie (and God knows it's the dream) then I'd base it around Justice League (Not Justice League of America, and not JLA).

Now, Justice League was the post-Crisis incarnation of the League, and took a new direction. It was all about relationships, what it meant to be a hero, and what heroes did in their time off. For this reason, it didn't rely on the iconic DC heroes too much. It was a decision that gave us, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest incarnation of the League that we've ever seen.

jlaally3.jpg

CASTING THE LEAGUERS

posterMM.jpgvogue11.jpg

THE MARTIAN MANHUNTER played by DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

J'onn J'onzz is the heart and soul of the League. He's an observer, a thinker, and an outsider. He is kind, compassionate but ultimately unknowable. Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect man for the role. He has a capacity for warmth, and yet there's a distant look in his eyes.

greyfogle_batman.jpg5.jpg

BATMAN played by CHRISTIAN BALE

Let's give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. I think he might be able to pull it off, and if he does, it would make sense to have him in the League movie too.

PART TWO COMING....

Batman: HUSH

Yay or nay? Is the TBP out for it?

:(

I'd embrace a comics folder gracefully but don't think I'm up to the task of managing a folder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search...1493626-9239859

:P looks like a yay.

Micheal turner and leob's new book soulfire has had some great artwork so far, and some amazing covers, is it worth looking into this batman book, i havnt read batman in years... sell me. ;)

all that stuff

Heh cool, id do something about the avengers if i new enough and didnt have to go to work...

plus there about to be re-worked big time by bendis....

Im waiting to see what he does, as ive only just got into the avengers :(

op0805.jpgcolin.jpg

GUY GARDNER played by COLIN FARRELL

For over fifteen years, I've been thinking about who could possibly play the Earth's greatest Green Lantern, Guy Gardner. Until now, I've never thought of someone. Colin Farrell isn't just right- it's perhaps the role he was born to play. A cocky prick who loves a scrap. An irresponsible womaniser. A bad role model. A thug. And yet, a hero. A charmer. Guy Gardner is my favourite character of all time. Farrell should feel honoured.

bbeetlehead2.jpgbrendan_fraser.jpg

BLUE BEETLE played by BRENDAN FRASER

Funny? Check. A goofy kind of handsome? Check. A big fuckin' kid? Check. You'll be wanting Brendan Fraser then. Comic timing and legitimate action chops is what the Beetle needs.

booster.jpgowilson_150x.jpg

BOOSTER GOLD played by OWEN WILSON

Booster's a wisecracking spoiled brat from the future. He thinks he's beautiful, hits on the ladies, and whines like a baby. He also fights well. Let's face it. It's Owen Wilson. We'd have some great Fraser and Wilson comic exchanges with the Blue and Gold connection.

Fire.gifSalma-Hayek.jpg

FIRE played by SALMA HAYEK

The hispanic superheroine would be captured perfectly by Hayek. Bold, bitchy and self-obsessed- it all just seems to fit. And she doesn't look too bad either.

ice.jpgTAUTOU.jpg

ICE played by AUDREY TAUTOU

I just realised. This role is Ms. Tautou's. Ice is foreign, a girl finding it hard to fit in. The big city's too big for her. Global threats are a little too much for her. She's naive, innocent, wide-eyed. Beautiful. And yet, she falls for that dirty rat Gardner, and he for her. Opposites attract. The dynamic within the comic book, of Guy and Ice falling in love, and no-one being able to stomach the thought of it, would be captured beautifully by the on-screen pairing of big nasty Farrell and little pure Tautou.

PROFILE_MaxLord1.jpgquaid.jpg

MAXWELL LORD played by DENNIS QUAID

The boss man. The corporate genius who runs the Justice League. Can he be trusted? Usually. Is he a good guy? Most of the time. Do the League love him? Yeah. And he loves the League. Lord is one of the greatest supporting characters in DC history, and Dennis Quaid is the man for the role. A dashing ladykiller with a dark side. But a good guy with bright teeth and a smile for the cameras.

And...well...I think that's my League.

I'd go see that movie.

For once I'm in absolute agreement with Biglime. A JLI film would be heartstoppingly brilliant, though you would have to include Oberon as well. He was as much the heart of the team as J'onn was. Oh and the following bit has to be in there, too:

"One punch!"

Wicked.

I'm a big fan of some of the Slave Labor and Top Shelf output.

I have a distinct tendency to slag off absolutely everything else for being crap, which might be a problem . . .

Load of superhero shite.

Mind you I bought 1602 in hardback last week and that wasnt superhero shite it was quite good actually, for superhero shite.

Transmetro I'm enjoying.

Also thought Alan Moores Smax was amusing in a Terry Pratchett kind of way.

I'm into 2000AD but I'm not sure if I'm 'qualified' to write about it, if you see what I mean. I'd be all for discussing it and hearing what other readers think though (I only really started reading it 2 or so years ago).

I think it'd be rock-hard to keep up-to-date as it's such a fast-moving medium. But there's the hugest back catalogue for people to dip into, and I reckon you should do recommendation sections or something. I'd be happy to write about some of the comics I own ('graphical novels', heh), though I'm nowhere near an expert. I'm just a casual reader who gets recommended stuff outside of the comic clique and enjoys it. Which is something that people need to be introduced to, it's a very daunting thing.

I think it'd be rock-hard to keep up-to-date as it's such a fast-moving medium. But there's the hugest back catalogue for people to dip into, and I reckon you should do recommendation sections or something. I'd be happy to write about some of the comics I own ('graphical novels', heh), though I'm nowhere near an expert. I'm just a casual reader who gets recommended stuff outside of the comic clique and enjoys it. Which is something that people need to be introduced to, it's a very daunting thing.

I exclusively read stuff that my comic loving mate gives to me.

I just read ministry of space, global frequency and 100 bullets vol. 3 and 4.

All aces. The Garth Ennis nick fury mini series was a recent highlight too.

I dont mind doing weekly review type things of stuff ive bought, ill probably just copy and paste the credits/story from somewhere, then add my thoughts on the issue afterwards, but all will be in spoiler tags (got to love them huh). I dont know if you want this done in a serperate weekly thread or in here.... can be discussed i guess, but in the mean time, ive read most of yesterdays lot and can give my first opinions on them now i guess :D

Bullseye #2 (of 5)

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Daniel Way, art by Steve Dillon, cover by Mike Deodato Jr.

Contents

Part 2 of 5. The untold story of Daredevil;s ultimate nemesis is revealed at last! And who thought being bad could be so much fun? Featuring timely cameos by Daredevil, Elektra, the Kingpin and the Punisher!

Still nit sure about this, its alright so far, art is pretty ok, very clean i guess. Story wise its all buliding up to something bullseye has done with some nuclear arms or something, but hes incarcerated and is trying to play the nsa guys questioning him, but they have other ideas on there mind... cat and mouse affair stuff.

Fables #30

Click For Spoiler

Written by Bill Willingham, art by Mark Buckingham and Steve Leialoha, cover by James Jean.

Contents

Part 1 of a new 4-part story, "The Year After." It's a family affair as Snow White goes into labor, and the magical nature of her pregnancy becomes an event that no one expected. The ever-proper Miss White is about to discover that having the Big Bad Wolf's baby is more than she'd ever bargained for...but the proud papa may be in for the biggest surprise of all. Plus, the results of the election for Fabletown's new mayor are in...and the winner may surprise you!

Never read any of the back story to these, i just likes the cover of it, all pink and with a baby <_< dont ask... im unsure myself... But it seems alright, some good dialogue even if a lot of its all gubbins to me story wise.

Milkman Murders #4

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Joe Casey, art by Steve Parkhouse.

Contents

The suburban nightmare hits the big city, as our little mother, possessed by a monstrous spirit of vengeance, seeks out the mysterious milkman. In the dangerous waters of the urban scene, Barbara gets more than she bargained for out of her change of scenery.

The most shocking new entry in the Dark Horse horror line concludes in a bloodbath. Barbara's confrontation with her role model, the TV mom, packs even more surprises in the wrap up.

Havnt actually read this yet, im still tyring to hunt down #2 as i missed it, but #1 was great, really good story, dark and gritty.

Punisher #12

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Garth Ennis, art by Leandro Fernandez, cover by Tim Bradstreet.

Contents

"Kitchen Irish," part 6 of 6. Everyone gets just what they deserve. The bloodcurdling, bloodthirsty, bloody ending to Kitchen Irish.

First issue of this ive picked up after hearing nothing but good stuff about it... and i can see why... the max range of title are quite gritty.. adult stuff, I really enjoyed this and the cover is great too. I think ill be getting more of this in the future

StarJammers #5

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Kevin J. Andeson, art by Jorge Lucas and Tommy Ohtsuka

Contents

"The Cadet and the Corsairs," part 5 of 5. The time has come for both Tolo and the Starjammers to decide where their loyalties lie -- and what they¹re going to do about it.

This book has been getting good too, 1 was great, 2,3 and 4 mediocre, but this issue has some great dialogue, all about forgivness and stuff like that and making the right desicions in life (i think... :( ) Pity the art in it hasnt been as good as the first issue, i dont know what happend.. the inks went all thick and the colours bold, still good but the first issue seemed to have better work in it.

StreetFighter #10

Click For Spoiler

Credits

by Ken Siu-Chong, Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, & UDON

Contents

Cammy and Delta Red’s pursuit of the mysterious secret weapon being developed by Shadaloo brings them to South America. But as they trek through the jungles of Brazil and appear closer to uncovering more details concerning Shadaloo’s plans (and Cammy’s past), they get more than they bargained for when they cross paths with the strange green-skinned creature known as Blanka! Meanwhile, Ken and Eliza encounter an old masked acquaintance who isn’t very pleased to them again! PLUS: Hong Kong super-artist Andy Seto brings his beautiful and unique style to a back-up origin story featuring Chun-Li and Gen

Another first for me (the shame, being such a fan of the game, but as anyone who read last weeks thread knows, i said i was on a break of such - so i missed these starting)

It comes from UDON, whos output some great stuff (go check out megacity 303 if you havnt already) and the story seem to be set before the films/game (so far) as kens wife to be is alive (but not for long im guessing.. Bison let balrog know where ken and her are... next issue?) but chun-li's father is dead and shes after Shadaloo, with the help of gen-fu and fei-long.

Some stunning art in the fight scenes, with all the moves you know and love in there in some form and much more. ALso 2 extra stories includes as well, one of gen-fus shame at killing an assasin in front of a young chun li thus taking her innocence from her, and another about um i dont know... it was wapred with super deformo manga stylee stuff art. :P

X-Men - The END #4

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Chris Claremont, art by Sean Chen, cover by Greg Land.

Contents

"Dreamers and Demons," part 4 of 6. It's the last stand of X-Force as an old foe of the X-teams emerges from the unlikeliest of places to join the assault.

This books been so-so for me so far, seemed disjointed at times thus far, but this issue seems to stick to the one story line, mainly it appears to have killed of apocolpyse!? I was expecting some sinister in it after last months, but no :( Its a big project this book from what i understand, this being the first book of 3 volumes planned, should be interesting to see where it goes.

X-Force #3

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Fabian Nicieza, art and cover by Rob Liefeld.

Contents

Part 3 of 6. Cable vs. Cannonball...and more on the mysterious Jon Spectre!

Mmmmm so-so... hard to follow at times, ive stuck with it in the hope it gets better some time soon, but this issue had some nice moments like the fight between cable and cannonball, and spectre/shatterstar and there swords.. in a river... very ninja lol

Ultimate Xmen #52

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Brian K. Vaughan, art and cover by Andy Kubert.

Contents

"Cry Wolf," part 3 of 4. It's the Ultimate X-Men versus the Fenris twins -- with Rogue and Gambit in the middle. The Fenris twins threaten to expose Gambit's past sins -- and they are legion -- unless he obeys them. But, with Rogue on the other side, to whom will the Ragin' Cajun finally lend his loyalty?

Ive been with this from the start, been some great stories even if there mainly retellings of classics, this arc has been "meh" but gambits in it and theres starting to be chemistry between him and rogue... plus storm seems to be the slut of the team...

Just hurry up and bring on singer to this title... :o i look forward to see what he has planned

Thats my lot for this week B) more next week again if people want it :P

Im not the best at reviewing things but i know what i like and am easily pleased thats maybe why i liked them all for some reason another, I also like looking at pretty picture so thats why i comment on the art even if i cant say why i like it.. I just do... hope that makes sense

(pity i cant quote within a poiler, it would have looked well...)

Punisher #12

Click For Spoiler

Credits

Written by Garth Ennis, art by Leandro Fernandez, cover by Tim Bradstreet.

Contents

"Kitchen Irish," part 6 of 6. Everyone gets just what they deserve. The bloodcurdling, bloodthirsty, bloody ending to Kitchen Irish.

First issue of this ive picked up after hearing nothing but good stuff about it... and i can see why... the max range of title are quite gritty.. adult stuff, I really enjoyed this and the cover is great too. I think ill be getting more of this in the future

Hell yeah. The stuff Ennis is doing with Frank Castle these days is wicked. Can't wait for the TPB of Kitchen Irish.

Hell yeah. The stuff Ennis is doing with Frank Castle these days is wicked. Can't wait for the TPB of Kitchen Irish.

which leads me to a question for people... what how do you prefer to get your comic fix? Tpb or comics thmeselves? as is probably evident, i get mine in comic form, but i might pick up some Tpbs that i havnt read as introductions to stuff... Just wondering.

which leads me to a question for people... what how do you prefer to get your comic fix? Tpb or comics thmeselves? as is probably evident, i get mine in comic form, but i might pick up some Tpbs that i havnt read as introductions to stuff... Just wondering.

TPB, because I like to have the story as one graphic novel. It takes up less space (I think) and you don't have the shitty ads ruining your comic.

TPB, because I like to have the story as one graphic novel. It takes up less space (I think) and you don't have the shitty ads ruining your comic.

He good reason.... *looks at comic boxs dotted about the place* bloody bulky but :( at the same time <_<