IGNORED

Frasier Appreciation Thread

Sydney Bristow

On 25/02/2021 at 17:07, ZOK said:

All ‘continuations’ of sitcoms are a flop, with two notable exceptions:

Arrested Development series 4: No-one knows how this worked but it was the best series - and then it coming back similarly for series 5 and being so bad it killed it shows that even the writers didn’t know what they’d done.

Arrested Development is definitely one of the best sitcoms ever, even though it ends so abruptly when it got cancelled in series 3.  Series 4 though? Has its moments, sure, but the best series? Not a chance.  So much green screen, actors clearly not in the same room etc.. and then dedicating one episode to one character, then recutting the whole thing and leaving 2 versions of each episode on Netflix... Then series 5 episode 1 is just a mess, impossible to follow.  If there was ever an example of a show that should have been left alone, Arrested Development was it.  An absolute masterpiece, which Netflix should have left well alone.

Been watching repeats of this on 4 in the mornings, the comedy still holds up and Niles is just amazing. Really dreading a 'sequel' series though, as @dumpster says I think the more recent AD seasons on Netflix actively made the show worse for me overall despite getting some enjoyment from them and I don't want the same to happen to Frasier.

It’s fine if people don’t like AD series 5, as it’s shit. People who don’t like AD series 4 however are the very worst people amongst us, and sure to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

18 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Been watching repeats of this on 4 in the mornings, the comedy still holds up and Niles is just amazing. Really dreading a 'sequel' series though, as @dumpster says I think the more recent AD seasons on Netflix actively made the show worse for me overall despite getting some enjoyment from them and I don't want the same to happen to Frasier.

Frasier did a fairly good job of ruining itself by the end anyway. Niles and Daphne getting together should've closed the series.

It does get much lamer after they get together, but there is a lovely line in one where Daphne is away at fat camp (Jane Leeves was having a baby) and Niles says something like ‘Daphne’s doing so well, she’s only been there two days and she’s already lost 9lbs 2oz!’ :wub:

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s fine if people don’t like AD series 5, as it’s shit. People who don’t like AD series 4 however are the very worst people amongst us, and sure to be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

I'd welcome the bullets more than watching AD season 4 again.