IGNORED

Why haven't we seen --- Insert your great game idea here

Rayn

The last decade has given us some fantastic games, some of the best games ever made in fact. I've personally have two new entries on the very top of my Top 10 ever list, and they've both been released within the last five years (BotW and Elden Ring). We've seen other great games released during the last decade, like Spiderman, God of War, TLOU2, Fortnite, GTAV...well, a lot of great games. 

While we get up to a handful of instant classics each year, the trend over the last decade has been remasters and remakes. It's as if the game industry has either run out of ideas or the publishers are too afraid of investing money into new IPs. Even when a studio does come up with a new IP, it's more often than not a game with familiar settings, gameplay and mechanics that we've seen before. Where are the really original ideas? Well, it's hard to come up with something original that also is entertaining, doable and is likely to appeal to the masses. 

If you were given the chance to come up with the next big hit, in your opinion, what game would it be? What genre, what would the gameplay be like, how would your idea revolutionize the industry?

Well, I don't have the answers, but I do wonder from time to time why we don't see more variety in settings. 

If I got the chance to make a game right now, I'd pitch this (this is only one of many likely bad ideas I have): 

Hooligan Wars (Name pending)

Set in the late 80s to early 90s, this is a mix of football manager, the sims and Bully, this is a game where you get to run a fan club for your favourite football team. As the leader of the fan club you get to decide which matches to buy tickets for, arrange key hooligans to attend and what kind of mayhem to unleash before, during and/or after each match.

Over the course of the seasons, the performance of the football teams will be directly influenced by the terror or support from each respective fan club.

Accept risky contracts from official club employees to hurt professional players, spread fear among the opposing teams' following or even infiltrate the management of a club if you get rich enough. You get to decide which team wins the Premier League based on your actions throughout each season. 

If you get caught red handed you're at risk of being arrested, or if you get too powerful without watching your back you're at risk of being a hit target from one of the other hooligan gangs. 

I've mentioned it in other threads discussing our personal "ideal games", but I guess I'd like to see a slick action RPG with non-combat events and satisfying elemental affinities. Things like FFVIIR, Yakuza LaD, Nier Automata and modern Persona all have a bundle of good and bad ideas individually, but honing those ideas into one übergame is a prospect with untapped potential.

Urban Elemental Soup (name pending)

Set in the near future, the streets can be roamed to offer a sandbox of combat encounters and build experimentation. Combat involves mashing out strings of light and heavy blows with face buttons - like Platinum titles, a combo is organically created based on your combination of lights, heavies, pauses, etc - but gear can be modified so that the strings of blows have elemental attack properties, and the elements can be cycled with shoulder buttons. So it'll be a little bit more tactical than Nier, but you won't get punished for picking the wrong elements as you would in VIIR. Instead of Persona's "One More" system that rewards an elemental weakness exploit with another turn, getting the right elemental attack will stagger the enemy briefly, or maybe break their super-armour, letting you do a follow-up. Everything costs MP, but it recharges outside of combat. The idea is to learn the affinities and optimise your cycling of elements to take out groups of enemies with as few moves as possible.

Within these roam-able(?) streets there will be "dungeons" of sorts, but only in the sense that you'll have to make it through a more restricted zone, or up several blocks of a building (think Yakuza.) Environmental effects will clue you in as to how dangerous a dungeon is based on your current level. Like, maybe the harder zones are surrounded by police tape and riot cops or something. There will be non-combat events (the social links in Yakuza LaD and Persona, or minigames that can level up stats) and sidequests that you can check out in the urban sandbox, but these might dry up a bit until you clear another dungeon. And maybe partaking in the non-combat events and sidequests could reduce the reward you get from clearing the next dungeon, so you're not tempted to just rinse the streets for distractions - instead you keep a nice balance between everything.

What's the premise? I dunno, you're a squad of vigilantes taking on the crimes that the cops can't handle. Again, a little bit LaDdish but with an even better combat flow. If I haven't proven already, I'm great at rambling about existing games without coming up with good ideas of my own.

I always think there’s loads of room for re-use of older stuff in different ways.

For example, Destiny has the best FPS gunplay out there, gorgeous artwork and creative mission design, especially for raids. Sadly I will only ever experience a fraction of that because it’s MMO systems are both impenetrable and unworkable for me. I know I’m hardly alone in this. 

Solution? A single player open-world Destiny game that smooshes all of the environments and spaces they’ve made into one place that you explore in a free-form way. Basically like Elden Ring but as an awesome FPS, with legacy dungeon type areas that provide you with a taste of the puzzley inventive design that characterises the raids.

I am also pretty sure that there are numerous ways you could also justify this Frankenstein world existing within current Destiny lore. Like it’s a programmed reality created by the Vex or some such, you’ve gotten sucked into it and now you need to roam about levelling up to beat the bosses and return to the real world. 

Flatplacker

A puzzle game that's a mix of Tetris and Unpacking. 

Like tetris, different shapes fall from the top and you have to rotate and position them. But unlike Tetris you're not trying to just fit them snugly, you're actually trying to piece them together to build a wardrobe or something. 

29 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

Congrats you have invented the 2002 PC game Hooligans: Storm Over Europe.

Why the heck haven't I heard of that before. I was even an avid PC gamer at the time this was released. I need to find a copy of that and give it a go, it actually looks like an ok game. 

My first thought was a football manager style game but for wrestling, seems it's been done lots though.

So my second thought was much more out there, a Coffee Barista game where you do all the fancy barista patterns on top of coffee while soothing music plays. Yep, that's been done too. 

I think based on my sample size of two and my limited imagination I can comfortably say all the ideas have already been done and there are no new games to be made. Game over dude.

I think the ability of the PS5 to instantly load new maps on the fly would give us an amazing Ant-Man game. Imagine being in a back garden, then shrinking down and instantly being in a totally different map with huge blades of grass, slugs the size of elephants etc.

I'm hoping someone will go "you mean like ...'.

Essentially Xcom with giant robots / mechs*. Turn based combat, research and base building, customising your mechs*, different mission types, a decent story...

*Yes, yes. I know "mechas".

A slow-paced narrative driven horror thriller where an employee/contractor discovers what Vault-Tec is and how they operate. Think SOMA meets Stanley Parable meets the Black Mirror television series. There's no right or wrong answers/paths. No jump scares, no exciting gun play. Just a slow descent into the madness that is Vault-Tec.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm hoping someone will go "you mean like ...'.

Essentially Xcom with giant robots / mechs*. Turn based combat, research and base building, customising your mechs*, different mission types, a decent story...

*Yes, yes. I know "mechas".

Battle tech has some of those things. Not the base building. But the mechs,  and customisation of them.

Plus there are some great mods that add in the clans and a shit load more mechs!

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

A trip through a companies back catalogue, done as a bad dream.  Basically WarioWare, but it drops you into a real game, mid-level, with no warning and expects you to play it without dying for a minute, at which point the game instantly switches to another one.  Retro games could be used to cover any loading times.  Boom! You're in the resident Evil 4 village surrounded by chainsaw wielding maniacs.  Boom! Hanging from the big clockwork mechanism from Strider.  Boom! You're playing -Ghosts and Goblins but that's a gigantour you have to kill.  Boom!  It's Devil May Cry, but you're King Arthur, and it's all kicking off and BOOM! You're being chased through the Dead Rising Shopping Centre by the Nemesis, and you're kicking the zombies over because you're Dhalsim from Street Fighter 2. 

I call this game "Boom!"

Kinda like this?

Kabaddi 23

Indie based Kabaddi game using 2D sprites from a top down view. Compete in tournaments and start a career all over India. 

Retro International Soccer

I re-imagining on the 90's based football games, but using the art style from Octopath Traveller / Triangle Strategy, no license or anything

Super Playground Games

An online multiplayer game with simplified 16bit graphics, with a ton of events based of popular school days games... Off Ground Touch, Tag/It, British Bulldog, Football with a tennis ball (with random next goal wins in some games), etc

On 24/06/2022 at 14:07, bradigor said:

Retro International Soccer

I re-imagining on the 90's based football games, but using the art style from Octopath Traveller / Triangle Strategy, no license or anything

7FE70CDC-4417-471F-A176-57A387854049.thumb.jpeg.f2dec7bca78f6b76267e6e0a21d92e30.jpeg?

We don’t get many games where you play the bad guys. Dungeon Keeper is an obvious one and so is Evil Genius but surely this genre is ripe for the picking where for once the bad guys can win?

55 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

We don’t get many games where you play the bad guys. Dungeon Keeper is an obvious one and so is Evil Genius but surely this genre is ripe for the picking where for once the bad guys can win?

The Overlord series is another one, but I assume the reason they don't get made is because people generally want to play on the side of the 'good' guys.

The Daisenryaku series of strategy games often defaulted to the losers of WWII.

On 24/06/2022 at 01:45, Flanders said:

I always think there’s loads of room for re-use of older stuff in different ways.

For example, Destiny has the best FPS gunplay out there, gorgeous artwork and creative mission design, especially for raids. Sadly I will only ever experience a fraction of that because it’s MMO systems are both impenetrable and unworkable for me. I know I’m hardly alone in this. 

Solution? A single player open-world Destiny game that smooshes all of the environments and spaces they’ve made into one place that you explore in a free-form way. Basically like Elden Ring but as an awesome FPS, with legacy dungeon type areas that provide you with a taste of the puzzley inventive design that characterises the raids.

I wish they’d just package the surprisingly fun (and very shiny) single-player campaign elements of Destiny 2 into a standalone product without all the baffling MMOFPS nonsense attached to it. Some of it is now unavailable which is a shame.

On 24/06/2022 at 01:45, Flanders said:

One of my favourite things in Destiny is the discovery of lost sectors - those hidden underground expeditions in the open world that lead to an encounter against a stronger enemy and a reward in a cache. And I've just realised that Elden Ring's numerous catacombs kind of aimed for the dream of "what if there was an open world that just went nuts with lost sectors?"

33 minutes ago, Halo said:

I wish they’d just package the surprisingly fun (and very shiny) single-player campaign elements of Destiny 2 into a standalone product without all the baffling MMOFPS nonsense attached to it. Some of it is now unavailable which is a shame.

That’s the other version of a single player Destiny game I’d be interested in - a full 10-12 hour campaign on the scale of the Bungie Halos with the shinies cranked up to the max, beyond what the current game is capable of in its aging engine. 

I kind of wouldn’t be surprised if we get something like that in the next few years once the Sony acquisition of Bungie is complete. I can envisage a relationship where Bungie teaches Sony how to make live service games and Sony gives Bungie the funding and expertise to make single player spectaculars to complement the main brand. 

Not a "Great game idea" but going to suggest something that's in very bad taste but without googling it i reckon there probably already are some along these lines out there. Basically a GTA style game where you play as a school shooter. So you have to source weapons, scout out the location and security etc then carry out the shooting and plan your escape/arrest/suicide. You could have different difficulty settings based on the country you select. So a US based level will have thousands of guns readily available to you but would run the risk of armed police or other school shooters, a level based in the UK might limit you to basic farm shotguns etc. No sane developer would ever make such a game (and rightfully so) but would probably sell well... 

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

Sony gives Bungie the funding and expertise to make single player spectaculars to complement the main brand. 

Bungie already had that expertise, The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room proved that 20+ years ago.

They made the conscious decision to pivot to where the industry was heading, doubt they want to go backwards at this point. All their known in-development projects are Service Games.

14 hours ago, Halo said:

They're definitely capable of creating memorable missions that have more focus than the open world stuff. Presage was some of the best D2 content for a while in terms of atmosphere and pacing, and Whisper before that was decent.

Theme Brother / Two Point Brothel.  Build rooms, hire reception staff and hookers to satisfy the punters.  Do you scrimp on advertising and stick leaflets under windscreen wipers, or do you hire a programmer to design a website?  Will you splash out on that fully equipped S&M dungeon for premium-rate paying customers, or just beds for vanilla ones who pay less?  Work your one up from one Essex streetwalker trying to fund her next fix of crack all the way to luxurious premises catering for wealthy (but perverted) tycoons and politicians.

I've long thought this would be fun.

I mentioned it a years ago…

A racing game based around using die-cast cars with NFC to make them playable in-game. Die-cast cars are already popular, it would be a natural fit and would provide a clear USP against Hot Wheels etc.

I guess the problem is that you would have to invest in making the game good and not some low-quality F2P mobile nonsense.