IGNORED

Things that really f**k you off - Video game edition

Rayn

Inspired by the thread in Off Topic I thought it could be useful to have a thread to vent about both minor and major annoyances instead of uttering toxic ramblings in almost every thread. 

I want to start out with a couple of things that really makes my piss boil: 

Forced tutorials

Whenever I finally get to sit down with a brand new game I've been looking forward to play, little is more annoying than having to sit through a lengthy tutorial that's been designed as a part of the game. Use the left stick to move your character. Use the right stick to look around. Press O to crouch. Press O again to stand up. Hold O to prone..... As tutorials go, it should either be an option on the main menu, like Play the Tutorial or at least a prompt at the start of the game; "Do you want to play the tutorial?" As tutorials go, I can tolerate those that let you experiment at bit on your own without flashing screen prompts every 10 seconds. BotW springs to min, a couple of hints before you leave the cave and then your let out in the open but you're confined to a plateau that's designed to teach you the mechanics of the game before it starts properly. A more recent example I found tolerable was Elden Ring, which simply asked you to jump down a pit to learn how to survive. 

Unskippable cut scenes

I rarely skip cut scenes in games that I like, but watching them once is usually enough. Having unskippable cut scenes just before a boss fight is a really poor design descision imo. I also think it takes away the replay factor of a game as having to sit through hours of cutscenes in a second playthrough is likely to put me off for good. 

Day one DLC

Games that are released with day one DLC is a testament to how greedy publishers has become. I might be old fashioned but if a game gives you the option to buy missions on the day of its release, in my mind these missions were already a part of the main game but were locked behind a paywall just to squeeze more money out of the customers. I'm still bitter about this practice when Mass Effect 3 was released as it had one essential mission behind a paywall. 

Whenever you die and respawn all of the enemies you killed respawn as well meaning you have to kill them all over again just to return to where you were. I don't find this at all challenging, simply boring and frustrating. 

I hate text options that make your character say something different to what you picked. I don't know why people do it. 

For example, your options are:

1. Maybe you work too hard 

2. Do you like potatoes 

3. I am feeling hot

You pick option 1 and the character says:

"I wonder if the work you are putting in is set at the right level of effort?" 

Or worse it does something like "just give up!" 

The former it's kind of the same emotion and intention but if you're role playing you feel like the agency you have is being taken away and it's not the angle you want. Or in the latter the link is tenuous and you ask something that unintentionally pisses off an npc. 

Boils my piss. I think last stop did this really badly in the first scenes and considering there was literally no other thing to do in the game except walk in one direction I couldn't understand why I didn't just watch a film instead. 

Forced exposition when it's done poorly. "I am bad guy and I talk to other bad guy about bad things our bad leader does even though we both know he exact same I feel the need to talk about all the secret plans out in the open boy I sure hope nobody hears me talking".

Characters talking out aloud to explain the story/exposition when they are the only one in the room. 

Basically talking to themself. 

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

Characters talking out aloud to explain the story/exposition when they are the only one in the room. 

Basically talking to themself. 

Aloy then.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Aloy then.

Aloy and a million others. 

I honestly don't know why developers do it. It would skip on lip syncing animations and save them some time. 

When creative direction is more driven by numbers, and what has happened in the past, than should be.

Related - topdown-driven greenlight decision making processes that are led by accountants and their cronies.

Pre-game bullshit.  You notice this more if you're into retrogaming. So many older games allow you to go from power-on to playing in no time at all.  A modern day equivalent to this would be EDF 4.1 and EDF 5 for the PS4.  You think, "I'll have a game of EDF I think!" And 2 minutes later you're in game. Theres no updates or downloads, there's no cut scenes or tutorials.  

There are so many games today that you just cannot play for a quick 15 minute blast before setting off for work.

Games where it makes you walk slowly at set points to fill out some dialogue exposition because they decided they couldn’t be bothered to do a cutscene or make the map a bit bigger so you could still run around as normal.

38 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Exiting a show in Fall Guys:

PlayStation: Circle button - yay!

Xbox: B button - yay!

Switch: B button - THIS IS THE MAIN BUTTON ON THE CONTROLLER, YOU IDIOTS.

I wonder if they got caught in two things here.

1. Physical consistency with jump/dive placement between Switch and the other consoles. Bottom button for jump, left for dive. Which means B and Y for Switch.

2. Nintendo maybe requiring "exit" to be the "B" button on games (i.e. using "A" for exit isn't allowed to pass certification)

But It feels like they could have put the exit on X.

I mean in general the different names for the face buttons on different consoles is a travesty. I actually wish there was an open standard they all had to follow. It would make quick time event like stuff much easier for multi-platform gamers.

A couple of all-time classics...

Slippy-slidey ice levels.

Events that invert the controller inputs.

Also, quick-time sequences where the inputs are randomly generated so you can't practice them.

32 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I wonder if they got caught in two things here.

1. Physical consistency with jump/dive placement between Switch and the other consoles. Bottom button for jump, left for dive. Which means B and Y for Switch.

2. Nintendo maybe requiring "exit" to be the "B" button on games (i.e. using "A" for exit isn't allowed to pass certification)

But It feels like they could have put the exit on X.

I mean in general the different names for the face buttons on different consoles is a travesty. I actually wish there was an open standard they all had to follow. It would make quick time event like stuff much easier for multi-platform gamers.

in Dark Souls for the switch, the buttons are in the same position as the Xbox version. It's fine during gameplay, but in the menus A is cancel and B is select. It's absolutely maddening. Especially since it's the opposite of the console UI.

14 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Events that invert the controller inputs.

This happens right at the very end of Deliver us the Moon, and drove me mad.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Games where it makes you walk slowly at set points to fill out some dialogue exposition because they decided they couldn’t be bothered to do a cutscene or make the map a bit bigger so you could still run around as normal.

More often than not, those kinds of sections are there for technical reasons, like covering up level loads, and the dialogue is just there to keep you occupied while that's happening.

See also: squeezing through tight spaces, and sliding\dropping down sections that you can't backtrack through.

16 minutes ago, Popo said:

The ‘Start new game’ button should always immediately be followed up by an ‘Invert Y axis?’ Button. No exceptions!

Or a system level preference that games could use then never ask me again.

32 minutes ago, Popo said:

The ‘Start new game’ button should always immediately be followed up by an ‘Invert Y axis?’ Button. No exceptions!

On that note, games that doesn't have the option at all. Beyond Good and Evil didn't have it and it drove me mad. A recent example is some spider game I found on game pass, a basic indie thing that's probably shit anyway but I simply couldn't play it as it's a FPS game but there's no option to invert Y. 

27 minutes ago, Lochenvar said:

More often than not, those kinds of sections are there for technical reasons, like covering up level loads, and the dialogue is just there to keep you occupied while that's happening.

See also: squeezing through tight spaces, and sliding\dropping down sections that you can't backtrack through.

I’d forgotten about that aspect. I’d been thinking about Gears of War and a particularly red mist-inducing part of Guardians of the Galaxy where you have to find another character and the level has been loaded, it just doesn’t let you run around and makes you walk. I started hating the game at that point.

When a game wants you to do something difficult and then it gates that with a mundane section that you’re required to repeat over and over just to get to that difficult point.

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’d forgotten about that aspect. I’d been thinking about Gears of War and a particularly red mist-inducing part of Guardians of the Galaxy where you have to find another character and the level has been loaded, it just doesn’t let you run around and makes you walk. I started hating the game at that point.

I'd still put money on it being a technical reason. I work in Narrative and there's almost zero chance that gameplay would be held up just so a character could say some dialogue. Even in a game as narrative-heavy as GoG, it's still about the lowest priority part of development. It's far, far more common that dialogue is used to paper over cracks.

46 minutes ago, Popo said:

Or just integrate it naturally at the start of the game. Halo does this a lot - I liked 3's simple "look up here sir?" as an NPC holds something above his head.