IGNORED

Your most shocking moments in TV and film

Timmo

4 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Um... no it isn't. Can you explain this?

He gets hit by the car, then later his wife is at the graveyard in front of a Victor Meldrew headstone. Then she returns home and explains to Victor, who is alive, that she'd been and left some flowers on his dad's grave.

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

He gets hit by the car, then later his wife is at the graveyard in front of a Victor Meldrew headstone. Then she returns home and explains to Victor, who is alive, that she'd been and left some flowers on his dad's grave.

Spoiler

She finds a scrap book of press cuttings surrounding Victor's death in Glynis's kitchen drawer and realises that her new friend is responsible for his demise. 

uh, ok.

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

wait. Did you get confused by the montage at the end?

The final shots are of Victor and Margaret driving through the countryside in the vicinity of Stonor Park.

The finale also has a bit in the middle where it switches to the days leading up to his death, before switching back to post-death again near the end. It’s possible that’s where the first switch is; her leaving flowers on Victor’s grave reminds her of a conversation a few months before where she’s put flowers on his dad’s grave.

1 hour ago, Professor Puzzles said:

I seem to remember a special mini episode maybe for a Comic Relief that had Victor visiting someone (maybe his wife) in hospital and chuntering on, only to realise that she couldn't actually hear him and he was a ghost. Did I make that up?

Yes, was implied though 

Spoiler

"Visiting Uncle Dick"

Margaret is visiting a relative in hospital. Victor is his usual self, complaining about everything; and Margaret is her usual self, pretending not to hear him...or is she? Eric Sykes plays Uncle Dick, who has only one line in the sketch.

NOTE: Final appearances of Victor and Margaret Meldrew. Victor appears to be alive but Margaret does not acknowledge him, implying that he is a ghost after she complains about a cold air in the room.

Victor is 100% dead

Spoiler

"Things Aren't Simple Any More"

After a disappointing reunion dinner, Victor is killed in a hit-and-run accident. As Margaret copes with life without him, she receives another shock when she discovers the driver was her new friend Glynis (Hannah Gordon). How she deals with this is left ambiguous

That Under the Skin moment was horrid and very affecting. I was extremely relieved to have watched it on my own while my wife was away with our kid who was then a similar age, I told her to never watch that movie on any account.

I think this one might rest on having had no prior knowledge of the film beyond a three sentence summary in a frightfest catalogue, but Battle Royale starts up pretty innocuous as a dystopian setup right up until Takeshi throws the knife, that moment sat everybody in the cinema up.

edit shit sorry this is the One Foot In The Grave topic now isn't it, I've messed up.

On 20/06/2022 at 18:50, Bucky said:

Obviously, this isn't Bone Tomahawk levels, but that the final episode of "One Foot in the Grave" struck me as pretty bleak and shocking.

The end basically culminates with Victor Meldrew's wife being confronted with a confession from her new friend and the killer of her husband.  The implication being that Victor's wife poisons the woman who killed him out of revenge for his death.  Bonkers.

One Foot In the Grave has some really dark stuff throughout the series. There's a melancholic feel that gives it more depth than any other 80s/90s sitcom.

22 minutes ago, milko said:

edit shit sorry this is the One Foot In The Grave topic now isn't it, I've messed up.

And all the better for it. I think I missed the implication that Margaret had taken revenge the first (and only) time I watched the finale 22 years ago (😭) but having just watched it on iPlayer... she definitely did, didn't she. Great stuff.

On 19/06/2022 at 19:35, Don Wiskerando said:

The fire in Blue Remembered Hills.   I still dream about it sometimes.

I remember watching that when BBC2 did a Vic and Bob night one Saturday night in the early 90s. It stayed with me. I haven't seen it since.

The only other memory I have of that night is Vic holding up his vinyl copy of Neil Young's After the Goldrush. He used to think that Neil Young was carrying the old woman around in his bag.

On 16/06/2022 at 10:07, Rayn said:

Audition

One of the first DivX encoded films I ever watched. I don't remember how I came across it, I just remember that I went in blind and immediately thought I was watching a romance/drama kind of thing. Little did I know....

@Textface invited me over to watch a Japanese romantic comedy. Good film that. When the woman is sat in the hallway, phone ringing, and the body bag you didn't even see was there jumps.  Christ.

The grand daddy of them all for me, especially as I loved Paul Daniels and magic in general as a child, and I'd seen this sort of thing hundreds of times before.... 

As a 14 year old it was the sheer speed of the door slam that got me, especially immediately after the paper tear. The standard narrative of every escapology trick is to get out with seconds to spare, not have the spikes slam down 5 seconds in.  There was uproar over this, prompting Paul to write this letter.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6piNzmfYteZiC7hZ8

It's important to compare and contrast this with regular 1987 Saturday Night programming:

Looking back at what somehow passed for entertainment just reinforces today how groundbreaking and original Ghostwatch and Paul Daniels had to be.  It really felt like that metal door slammed shut and everyone watching somehow woke up.  

In the era of this, and Ghostwatch, the audience had an innocence that seems naive today.  It's a shame, we have lost that ability to be fooled, as seen by the otherwise excellent Inside Number 9 live episode.  As soon as the announcer said there was a technical fault, we all thought, "oh this is going to be good" and I don't think anyone actually believed it, which is a real shame. There's probably rules and regulations now that would prevent you doing something that shocking in prime time.  

Mind, even Ghostwatch did announce it was a drama at the start, but it appeared like a regular BBC announcer and not sure anyone was really listening. I still check behind the curtains for Mr Pipes.

That reminds me of an early And and Dec show around the 90s where, at the end of one of the episodes, they have a massive, serious disagreement about something and I think even start fighting before the show cuts off.

Maybe it's more obvious if I watched it now, but I remember then being a bit shocked and wondering why they were showing this when they're meant to be good friends. In the end, it turned out to be Peter Simon of Double Dare manipulating them or something.

Anyone remember this?

The first series of Spartacus when 

Spoiler

he has to kill his blonde bestie at the whim of some little prick having his 12th birthday party.

Massive shocker. I was completely gutted.

Also when the main baddies wife 

Spoiler

Is tricked into shagging Spartacus and when the person who set it up laughs in her face she smashes her head to pulp on a marble step,

Possibly the most brutally violent scene in the series and think of the ground that covers

On 11/06/2022 at 22:56, Number 28 said:

Dead Man's Shoes. Particularly the latter half when it becomes clear that Anthony

Hide contents

isn't really there and everyone responsible/complicit in his death gets brutally murdered.

Was reading through and waiting for this to happen, though I hadn't fully clicked and when I did I didn't expect 

Spoiler

to see Anthony hanging

I only watched it for the first time the other night, to say I was in a low mood afterwards would be really fucking accurate.

On 14/06/2022 at 13:39, McFly said:

I remember an 80s kids program called "The Machine Gunners" iirc set in or just after WW2. Two kids fight and one smashes the others face in with a gas mask case or something similar, actually made me cry even though i was10 or so

Didnt that also show a rather gruesome corpse? I definitely remember watching it in school and feeling really uncomfortable 

2 hours ago, wev said:

Didnt that also show a rather gruesome corpse? I definitely remember watching it in school and feeling really uncomfortable 

It wouldn't surprise me. Even now the scene I mentioned upsets me to think about it.

Gene Wilder's Wonka shouting at Charlie in the office at the end of the tour.

Even on repeated viewings it still shocks a bit as its so well done by Wilder and out of nowhere.