IGNORED

The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

"FUCK YOU, MATTHEW CASTLE!" Absolutely perfect moment this week. Can't stop laughing at it.

I was a bit worried about the 90s PC draft after their preamble but they did a great job. Did make me appreciate how amazing the year 2000 was though. Amazing array of games just missed out.

57 minutes ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

"FUCK YOU, MATTHEW CASTLE!" Absolutely perfect moment this week. Can't stop laughing at it.

I was a bit worried about the 90s PC draft after their preamble but they did a great job. Did make me appreciate how amazing the year 2000 was though. Amazing array of games just missed out.

Yup, that got a hearty chuckle from me, too.

I'm surprised that the Patreon voted for the 90s PC games over the other options, however. I can't remember which one I went for, but I thought that option would be the least popular. I think they've said that they'll cover all the voting options eventually.

The 90s PC draft was excellent. An interesting way to discuss old PC games and gaming in the 90s, but with the added excitement of a draft.

Spoiler

Samuel wins for getting RCT as it’s the only PC game I truly loved and still play to this day.

Matthew can get in the sea for conflating it with Theme Park though.

Some future draft ideas:

FPS draft with sub-genres as categories (perhaps: wartime/military, sci-fi, horror, immersive SIM, RPG, online, licensed, console-exclusive, local multiplayer, non-shooter?).

Maybe some Sony vs Nintendo console head-to-heads too, with no duplicated multi-format titles (PS1/N64, PS2/GC, DS/PSP, 3DS/Vita). Maybe leave Wii U out of that one.

Ultimate handheld, with handheld-only games allowed (up to 3DS, so no Switch).

Another cracking episode - 90s PC games is a much deeper and wider pool from which to draw than I initially gave it credit. 

Matthew’s ruthless snatching of Samuel’s beloved TIE Fighter was fucking hilarious. “Go on Matthew, why don’t you tell me about this game” :lol:

Going to be hard for me to vote this time as my only major experience with PC of that era were Sim City 2000 and Broken Sword. And a slight bit of XWing Vs Tie Fighter.

Great episode, but those two lists do absolutely nothing for me :lol:. I've got the same brain affliction as Matthew when it comes to strategy games, find the obtuse puzzling of point and click games incredibly tedious and have never clicked with Star Wars.

Firmly reinforces my childhood belief that PC gamers are fucking nerds, whilst I'm over here playing Sonic with my baseball cap on backwards like a real cool dude. 

I often forget, but the PC was pretty much my main gaming platform between the Mega Drive and the PS1. That said, a lot of that time came just before a lot of the games on these lists. I played a lot of Command & Conquer and Age of Empires, but didn't own the sequels until I played Red Alert on the PS1. I loved Conflict: Freespace, but didn't play the sequel until that GOG freebie a few years ago. My time with point and clicks was largely on the Sierra side, but I never played the Gabriel Knight games. 

I loved this episode though. The TIE Fighter moment was rather special. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Seems ultra-harsh to criticise given the circumstances but I found the last two episodes without Matthew very dry, so it's a delight to be able to roll around in the 'absolute horseshit' this week. 

1 minute ago, Jolly said:

Seems ultra-harsh to criticise given the circumstances but I found the last two episodes without Matthew very dry, so it's a delight to be able to roll around in the 'absolute horseshit' this week. 

Is it known why he was off, or was it just a break? Hope everything was ok with him. And I agree - pod isn't the same without him!

I follow Katherine Castle on twitter and her father died recently so I expect its that. So absolutely fair enough. He had more important stuff on than talking about sandwiches and Michael Cain. 

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I follow Katherine Castle on twitter and her father died recently so I expect its that. So absolutely fair enough. He had more important stuff on than talking about sandwiches and Michael Cain. 

Ah, I see. That's shit :(

Still, he sounded in top form on today's pod.

Games Court episodes are the Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball of podcasts. Surprisingly enjoyable, but I keep half an ear out when its playing, so I can turn it off before someone else comes into the room and my family think less of me.

Amazing episode. The strange alchemy of Matt and Sam together just can’t be replicated. 

I actually enjoyed the Destiny episode to a point, and it prompted me to download the second game again, but I’m so glad even Sam recognised that it probably went a bit too deep. :lol:

The strict adherence to the prohibited nature of time on Matthew Castle Island was a personal high point. 

If anyone needs more Matthew Castle,I'd recommend giving Rock Paper Shotgun's Electronic Wireless Show a go. The Discworld anecdote in the latest episode is a nice bit of Castle lore.

3 hours ago, Quest said:

If anyone needs more Matthew Castle. I'd recommend giving Rock Paper Shotgun's Electronic Wireless Show a go. The Discworld anecdote in the latest episode is a nice bit of Castle lore.

Thanks. Added. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Popo said:

No new episode this week? I was looking forward to hearing Matthew talk about XC3, finally. 

Out tomorrow, Samuel was away so only recorded it last night.

• 2 weeks later...