Best Multiplayer Game: It Takes Two

Best Audio: Resident Evil: Village

Best Visual Design: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Best Game Expansion: Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island

Mobile Game of the Year: League of Legends: Wild Rift

Best Gaming Hardware: PlayStation 5

Best Indie Game: Death's Door

Studio of the Year: Capcom

Best Performer: Maggie Robertson (Lady Dimitrescu in Resident Evil: Village)

Breakthrough Award: Housemarque (critically chosen)

Best Game Community: Final Fantasy XIV

Still Playing Award: Final Fantasy XIV

PC Game of the Year: Hitman 3

Nintendo Game of the Year: Metroid Dread

Xbox Game of the Year: Psychonauts 2

PlayStation Game of the Year: Resident Evil: Village

Most Wanted Game: Elden Ring

Critics’ Choice Award: Deathloop (critically chosen)

Ultimate Game of the Year: Resident Evil: Village

Best Gaming Hardware of All Time: Personal Computer (PC)

Ultimate Game of All Time: Dark Souls

Lol what

13 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, Housemarque getting the breakthrough award seems a bit rum to e.g. any developers that haven't been around since 1995. Did someone forget what year/decade/century/millennium we're in?

Well, to be fair, they have gone from indie developers to firing out a AAA blockbuster and this was the year they did it.

It just feels weird given they've already had high profile, Sony-console selling, award-winning, Golden Joystick-nominated games. Resogun was hardly obscure or unsuccessful, and they really don't feel the same as previous winners of the award who really have risen from obscurity to success; e.g. the developers of Stardew Valley, Untitled Goose Game, Among Us. All of those really were zero-to-hero breakthroughs, whereas this is a longterm, famous darling of the mainstream indie scene.

I guess maybe there wasn't a better option this year, but it just feels weird seeing a developer that was already well-known and respected getting the award.

35 minutes ago, Wiper said:

It just feels weird given they've already had high profile, Sony-console selling, award-winning, Golden Joystick-nominated games. Resogun was hardly obscure or unsuccessful, and they really don't feel the same as previous winners of the award who really have risen from obscurity to success; e.g. the developers of Stardew Valley, Untitled Goose Game, Among Us. All of those really were zero-to-hero breakthroughs, whereas this is a longterm, famous darling of the mainstream indie scene.

I guess maybe there wasn't a better option this year, but it just feels weird seeing a developer that was already well-known and respected getting the award.

Sorry wiper, I think your perspective is maybe skewed here. I thought I'd never heard of Housemarque when Returnal was announced, then I found out "oh, they did Resogun?" partridgeshrug.gif

Resogun was a PS+ freebie during the PS4's fairly anaemic launch. So yeah, a lot of people played it, but I'm willing to bet 90% of those people were just like me, "eeeh, it's fun, but meh", and then the game, along the name Housemarque, was forgotten within a month. Maybe they did another game after that, Tex Machina, maybe, was that them?

My point is Housemarque were basically nobodies outside of a small cult following ... until Returnal. With Returnal they broke through to the big time with a truly sensational game. 

21 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I've never heard of these awards but apparently they've been going for 38 years. Who's running them? (And why bother?)

Blimey cheer up. All sorts of industries have awards. Nice bit of acknowledgement from your peers.

Why bother doing anything?

23 hours ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, we're not exactly awash with alternatives this year - we've seen a few really decent indies but nothing that really broke out like, say, Hades. There's not been a Stardew Valley or an Among Us-level phenomenon. The likes of Valheim and Splitgate are maybe the closest, and those are still in Early Access.

It feels enough of a breakthrough in the sense that a lot of people won't have been aware of Housemarque before this - and after Nex Machina sold very poorly, few would have bet on them coming back with a full-price triple-A PS5 exclusive, let alone a really good one. 

29 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

It feels enough of a breakthrough in the sense that a lot of people won't have been aware of Housemarque before this - and after Nex Machina sold very poorly, few would have bet on them coming back with a full-price triple-A PS5 exclusive, let alone a really good one. 

i get that side of things, but coming at it from another angle, compared to other shmup devs they're one of the most mainstream/well known of recent years, or at least the games are. guess that shows how niche that genre is now. it's pretty odd.

returnal is cool but resogun and nex machina are both better imo.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Seems a bit off choosing a multi format title for it doesn’t it. 

Absolutely, it’s not as if the Xbox version was any different. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed Village but if you are going to have a console specific best game, for me it should be an exclusive. 

40 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Absolutely, it’s not as if the Xbox version was any different. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed Village but if you are going to have a console specific best game, for me it should be an exclusive. 

Yeah, I agree. Both Returnal and Ratchet & Clank would've made more sense.