Retro Gamer 227 - You had me at Halo

strider

Maybe that's on the non-sub cover.

14 hours ago, Triple A said:

The making of Nigel Mansell’s!

Reading just that set off all kinds of nostalgia - looking forward to this issue

"When a Daddy Mansell and a Mummy Mansell really love each other...."

Reckon I'll enjoy reading bout halo, but I still don't get what the fuss was all about. It's a decent game, but a guy in a motor bike helmet and every one goes mental about him, I still haven't completed a halo game yet.

Speaking of which, what is the best halo game?

Nigel mansels? The snes one? Forgotten I played that to death in myates house :)

Halo was genuinely better than anything at the time in FPS, not a big FPS player but I finished that on Xbox and then again in the anniversary version.

Never finished any of the others, the 2 or 3 I've tried just felt like the same game again but more up itself.

For me Halo was always a decent game but nothing amazing. It certainly wasn't as good as some of the PC FPS games around at the time and there were some shockingly bad levels like the flood etc.

I did go on and play Halo 3, which was okay and Reach which I though was good but overall I don't think it's my kind of FPS.

Just now, strider said:

Still is mate 👍

I know. You're using the early 2000s T3/Fast Car tactic of sticking nearly naked boob-ladies on the cover to suggest to people that the magazine is full of nearly naked boob-ladies but in fact is full of articles about The Ten Best MP3 Players that aren't iPods and why alloy wheels on your mum's Saxo reduces fuel efficiency.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I know. You're using the early 2000s T3/Fast Car tactic of sticking nearly naked boob-ladies on the cover to suggest to people that the magazine is full of nearly naked boob-ladies but in fact is full of articles about The Ten Best MP3 Players that aren't iPods and why alloy wheels on your mum's Saxo reduces fuel efficiency.

If you say so.

19 hours ago, bplus said:

Speaking of which, what is the best halo game?

Nigel mansels? The snes one? Forgotten I played that to death in myates house :)

That's definitely not the best Halo game, no.

3 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I don’t think he meant it as a criticism.

Anything that gets people to buy it as long as the rest of us still get our features about obscure Amiga games.

It was a joke, not a criticism! I’m serious that I don’t believe Halo or anything post-2000 is retro, but that isn’t going to stop me buying and enjoying the magazine.

On 20/11/2021 at 19:46, deKay said:

It was a joke, not a criticism! I’m serious that I don’t believe Halo or anything post-2000 is retro, but that isn’t going to stop me buying and enjoying the magazine.

Something that is from 20(!) years ago isn't retro? Absolute madness. 

I'm shocked that a middle aged man is insisting only games that came out when he was young are retro. 

I enjoyed the cover feature, good insight into a classic from a time before the FPS genre veered wildly off course with stultifyingly scripted single player campaigns and the focus on gamifying the online experience above all else.

Wasn't such a fan of the list feature - seemed very open ended whereas I feel lists have to have much more specific criteria to hold interest. But otherwise a great issue.