Help updating my virtual pinball cab's arcade

Omizzay

I received my virtual pin a few months ago and it's absolutely amazing - it's been all I play on a daily basis leaving my ps5 and switch to gather up dust.  In addition to the thousands of pinball tables, the machine comes with Hyperspin pre-installed with all the MAME games, and a few of the retro consoles - NES, SNES, Genesis, etc - all playable with the arcade sticks and buttons (images below).

M8Klko4.jpg.   f2UIXhF.jpg

My issue is I have no idea really on how to add additional emulators and make them work properly.  I downloaded Project 64 for example but it doesn't run in full screen automatically the same way that the pre-installed ones do.  Do I have to do anything with Rocketlauncher as well to make that happen?  I want to add Dreamcast, Saturn, Teknoparrot, etc and make them work the same way all within Hyperspin.

The PC is quite beefy as well - Ryzen 7 with an Nvidia 2080 so I know it can handle the modern games quite easily and I've already linked it to my Steam account and downloaded some fighting games like Tekken 7 and Street Fighter 5.  Only problem is - I'm not really sure how to assign the arcade stick and buttons so I don't have to use a controller and also the games load on the playfield not the backglass - is there a way to do this automatically without having to make the backglass my main screen?

Anyways, obviously I'm a noob so any help would be highly appreciated.

None of those things are going to be as easy as you probably want unfortunately. Hyperspin and rl aren’t the easiest to configure, although I would expect their to be guides for most emulators on one of their forums.

If you don’t want to use a separate controller then an N64 emulator isn’t much use though as you won’t have enough controls for almost all of the games on it.

Steam games are a bit of a mare on these front ends, as almost all the settings are game specific. Do you know what controller board the machine uses? You might be able to use ‘borderless windows’ to sort out your screen problem but I’m not 100% on that. Some games let you map keyboard controls, some don’t, it’s the latter that then require an additional piece of software, which may already be installed, to work.

10 hours ago, phresh said:

None of those things are going to be as easy as you probably want unfortunately. Hyperspin and rl aren’t the easiest to configure, although I would expect their to be guides for most emulators on one of their forums.

If you don’t want to use a separate controller then an N64 emulator isn’t much use though as you won’t have enough controls for almost all of the games on it.

Steam games are a bit of a mare on these front ends, as almost all the settings are game specific. Do you know what controller board the machine uses? You might be able to use ‘borderless windows’ to sort out your screen problem but I’m not 100% on that. Some games let you map keyboard controls, some don’t, it’s the latter that then require an additional piece of software, which may already be installed, to work.

Thanks.  Trying to learn Hyperspin and RL now is quite difficult as they've been around for so long and because of the 3 screen setup, which most of these forums don't really address.  But I will persevere.

8 hours ago, roobarb said:

This thing looks amazing! Does it have the T2 machine?

Have 4 different versions of it - they're all amazing and the physics are very realistic now.  You can also add these Pup Packs which basically means you can add videos to the backglass when certain things are triggered on the table.  Check out this video for what I think is the best version (G5K):

And I have about 1500 other tables too :D - everything from old school EMs, original tables (some of which are amazingly designed) to recreations of modern Stern tables like Batman 66 and Deadpool.  It's a phenomenal machine and pretty much all I play every single day.

And every single table is FREE!!!!

24 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Thanks.  Trying to learn Hyperspin and RL now is quite difficult as they've been around for so long and because of the 3 screen setup, which most of these forums don't really address.  But I will persevere.

I remember trying to set them up years ago and it could be described as awkward at best. A lot of newer setups use Launchbox (I used it on the arcade machine I built) as it's a lot easier to setup, albeit with less flexibility. The emulator scripts in RL do a lot of the heavy lifting, although the fullscreen setting will probably be in PJ64. Like most post 16bit console emulators you can have different plugins for each core feature (i.e. graphics, sound, controls) so you might have to hunt around a bit to find the setting.

Be very careful changing any global settings (or overriding global settings) in RL though, these things tend to work well with one very specific group of settings and one change can have all sorts of unknown knock on effects. I would backup any/all config files before delving into it to much so you have a restore point of sorts.

The multi monitor issue is an emulator/windows thing. The emulators you already use, which are probably just MAME and retroarch, have, I believe, the ability to target a second (or third etc.) monitor, whereas a lot of fullscreen software will simply default to the primary/main screen and you would then have to manually move it. For N64 I think you can use the Mupen64 core in retroarch, i'm sure i've used it previously with some success but don't quote me on that! If the other retroarch cores work on the right screen then I don't see why this one wouldn't either. I'd suggest you start here first before going any further with PJ64.

Teknoparrot and Steam (or any other windows games) will all need configuring individually (more or less) in RL. I'd suggest you pick and choose stuff you really want to play or you'll spend forever configuring games for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Have 4 different versions of it - they're all amazing and the physics are very realistic now.  You can also add these Pup Packs which basically means you can add videos to the backglass when certain things are triggered on the table.  Check out this video for what I think is the best version (G5K):

And I have about 1500 other tables too :D - everything from old school EMs, original tables (some of which are amazingly designed) to recreations of modern Stern tables like Batman 66 and Deadpool.  It's a phenomenal machine and pretty much all I play every single day.

And every single table is FREE!!!!

It's amazing! I want one!

7 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

How much are these things?

Their site lists at around £3,300 for the base model.  You can then upgrade the PC, graphics card, RAM, TV monitor to 120Mhz, add LEDs etc as well.

https://xtremegamingcabinets.com.au/presta17/virtual-pinball/98-607-jurassic-park-virtual-pinball-machine.html#/27-120hz-no_120hz_package/29-matrix-no_matrix_lighting/31-dmd-single_xtreme_dmd_backbox_screen

21 hours ago, roobarb said:

It's amazing! I want one!

Honestly I would just start out with downloading VPX as well as a few tables and run them on your PC - you can play them in desktop mode.  It's the best pinball available (better than Pinball FX3, Pinball Arcade etc) and it's completely free.

Also, you should download the Pinup Popper frontend to manage all your tables - amazing piece of software.

The best websites for everything you need to get up and running are vpforums and vpuniverse where u can find the programs and tables / backglasses etc.

And then go out and buy one of these pre-made ones :)

25 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Is it GPU intensive?   Thinking of running VPX on a virtual WIndows instance but if it need GPU acceleration I'll not do that.

Not really.  You can get 60 fps on a mid range graphics card.  You might have some issues running the more intensive pup packs though, but those aren't really necessary.

14 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Honestly I would just start out with downloading VPX as well as a few tables and run them on your PC - you can play them in desktop mode.  It's the best pinball available (better than Pinball FX3, Pinball Arcade etc) and it's completely free.

Excellent it even works on my crappy work PC with no graphics card :D

PXL_20210914_222001771.thumb.jpg.28fd19d3f275fd6e0f757b4e9491aff9.jpg

I can see this is the tip of the iceberg now.. I wasn't even looking for a new project either! (looks at MiSTer & PiTrex)