Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

49 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

It was exhilarating, my wife left the room and was wondering who Gabecunt was. 

I plugged in the VR for the first time in a while yesterday because when it's 30C that's the time to strap two monitors to your face and there's a bunch of new Steam Home environments.  One of which is Valve's offices.

Nearly jumped out the window when Gabe suddenly started talking to me.

I’m really rooting for this. The vision of “your games everywhere on every device” has meant “on every black rectangle” for a long time, I want it to mean that every conceivable hardware form factor and performance profile is being manufactured in some quantity somewhere.

This will do really well simply by dint of selling to people like many in this thread who have wanted a PC ecosystem with a consoles simplicity. To say it's a direct competitor to the Switch is a bit daft. Nintendo don't give a fuck. They won't respond to it in any meaningful way, it won't change the plans for the Pro.

Can’t wait for this. It’s going to be so liberating for the pile of shame.

Particular looking forward to playing Elden Ring on the bog while exercising my own Elden Ring. Ringception!

50 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Particular looking forward to playing Elden Ring on the bog while exercising my own Elden Ring. Ringception!

Will it even run Elden Ring?, I really want to see benchmarks first.

The specs for this match up to the long rumoured Van Gogh APU that AMD had on their roadmap last year. If it has the potential memory bandwidth possible, then it's going to be pretty impressive for a mobile device. A PS4 in your hands, but with the full DX12U featureset meaning it can technically 'run' true Next Gen games aswell. The biggest weakness for longevity is the 4C/8T CPU, which is the only part where it's not matched against the Xboxes.

https://www.techpowerup.com/271303/amd-warhol-van-gogh-and-cezanne-to-make-up-companys-5th-gen-ryzen

I think I want one, but I've got a load of other mobile gaming devices currently gathering dust, so I'll wait for the final unit to see how it performs in practice.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I’m really rooting for this. The vision of “your games everywhere on every device” has meant “on every black rectangle” for a long time, I want it to mean that every conceivable hardware form factor and performance profile is being manufactured in some quantity somewhere.

Yeah GPD have been doing it for a while, bro has the Max version and its amazing. My only worry is like the GPD is how hot it get, and the fan noise. But the idea is pretty cool, me and bro have been playing L4D2 again, he's like chilling on the sofa and I'm upstairs chained to the laptop.

25 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I'd love to have that optimism regarding the pile, but I know I have a couple of thousand-hour behemoths amongst the PC exclusive treasures that I'll end up dipping into and that plan is entirely cooked by that point.

Satisfactory on a handheld device alone is already a highly illegal substance that must be stopped! 

2 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I think I want one, but I've got a load of other mobile gaming devices currently gathering dust, so I'll wait for the final unit to see how it performs in practice.

Its going to be great, I'm not going to buy one yet as I can easily see 1st gen early adopters hardware issues. But man those specs....chef kiss.

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

Will it even run Elden Ring?, I really want to see benchmarks first.

Last Gen game engine with a game designed to run on a PS4, easily. The AYA NEO, which only has relatively old Vega-based graphics can run Cyberpunk 2077, and this is RDNA2-based so is even faster.

11 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Last Gen game engine with a game designed to run on a PS4, easily. The AYA NEO, which only has relatively old Vega-based graphics can run Cyberpunk 2077, and this is RDNA2-based so is even faster.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bujyfxrsu4vhsgp9eot6

I've ordered a cheap one for Q1, I'll wait for impressions from launch before deciding whether or not to keep it.

In theory though, this could be a god send for playing through some of my PC library. I struggle to get enthused about PC gaming, particularly as since I built it 2 years ago it's mostly been used to work from home and using it in any capacity feels like a chore, so this would help me to finally get around to Disco Elysium and a bunch of others I've bought in various sales.

There's a pretty good chance I'll just use it for Magic Arena, however. Still, playing Magic at the bottom of my garden without killing my phone will be lovely.

Have one lined up one for q3 2022 because I didn’t wanna feel left out. A year away, which is such a LOL concept I can’t get my head around, that the world will still be standing, or the tech has moved on, or if Nintendo announce another desirable colourway. Think I should’ve got the cheaper q1 version just to get the latest shiny thing ASAP.

Turned out the cheapest version still has an m.2 2230 slot in it that remains empty.  Of course you'd have to open up your Steam Deck to access it, but that could potentially mean down the line people will figure out how to add an SSD to the base version.

Thinking about this, this is the first time I been genuinely excited about a hardware release. I know there's been previous iterations of this concept but I can't wait til December to hear the reviews and feedback. 

The problem with the M.2 slot is the fact it only supports the absolute smallest physical size of NVMe drives, which are both capacity limited and more expensive per GB and aren't currently sold at retail so you have to resort to some dodgy reseller out of Asia who lifted them from OEM machines if you want one which can match minimum console spec.

I'm curious as to how Valve are going to handle the UEFI BIOS on this. If they truly support open computing then it shouldn't have most of the usual lockouts that most big manufacturers put in place against customisation.

10 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The problem with the M.2 slot is the fact it only supports the absolute smallest physical size of NVMe drives, which are both capacity limited and more expensive per GB and aren't currently sold at retail so you have to resort to some dodgy reseller out of Asia who lifted them from OEM machines if you want one which can match minimum console spec.

Dell sell them.

After doing some thinking about my gaming habits the last few days I decided to just order the 64gb model. I won't be playing AAA games on this because I like a big screen for the big releases, I will be using this for indie games, older titles and a lot of emulation. I full expect PS2 games to look fantastic on that small screen.

I'll slap a micro SD card in there and I'll be fine.

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

Dell sell them.

The spec for that indicates it is below the WD SN530 used in the consoles, which is the only one which seems to currently be available that hits 2.4GB/s, all the other ones I looked at are rated for 1.7GB/s in lower capacities.

This is assuming it is capable of running Windows 11 and DirectStorage's performance target is the Xboxes for future games. If that isn't the case, then it's not a big roadblock.

It's also not really a problem if you treat it as a portable PS4, rather than a portable Xbox Series S-class device.

28 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The spec for that indicates it is below the WD SN530 used in the consoles, which is the only one which seems to currently be available that hits 2.4GB/s, all the other ones I looked at are rated for 1.7GB/s in lower capacities.

I’m not bothered about the comparison with other consoles. So long as I can replace the internal SSD with another of higher capacity and equal or better speed - and I can - them that’s fine.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Handhelden Ring

:hat:

For me it’s the “impatient for an indie game to come to consoles machine but then I’ll probably rebuy it for a console because it’ll be easier machine” but fuck me that’s worth it. 

i cannot wait.