Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

39 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

God no, it says it underneath. 

Found it. It is on the main store screen. I was looking in Purchase History 🙂

Q2 2022 because  I got locked out for an hour 😞

Still, gives me more time to save.

40 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It appears to only show if you your order is a Q 2022 order - anyone early enough and a date won't show underneath @Dukesy is the same I'm guessing

Yeah exactly. I can’t see any dates on the page so I’m assuming I’m in the initial batch. 

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

A heads up for anyone who's preordered one (or is considering one): if you don't fancy installing Windows instead of Proton, while most non-Steam storefronts will be buggered (Epic, Gamepass etc.), itch.io has confirmed that theirs will work out of the box. Obviously not all games bought on itch will offer Linux-compatible versions by default, though, so if you wanted to play any Windows-only games on Itch then you'd need some version of WINE configured as well (at which point itch will automatically make use of it when launching games). Still, good news for convenience's sake, particularly if you bought any of the massive charity bundles itch hosted in the last year!

Excellent news. I have a couple of those bundles so I'll now have a handheld with a near-inexhaustible supply of free experimental indie weirdness on day one.

4 hours ago, simms said:

You’re not limited to using the Steam deck in-built controls.  Any controller will work

I know but that would make it significantly less portable.

21 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What sorcery were people using to be able to get the preorder in that early when I kept getting no response 

Other than having my steam wallet topped up and using that as payment….I’m not sure. 

My receipt actually says the sale was completed at 18:00 so I was probably just lucky before the site got hammered. 

29 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What sorcery were people using to be able to get the preorder in that early when I kept getting no response 

Just lucky. For every 999 times wasn't getting through someone probably was. I also paid by steam wallet so that took a payment authentication step out of it which took another point of failure out.

I’ve preordered one, don’t desperately want one but I’ve got plenty of time to think about it. 

I put a 64GB on my son’s account and a 512GB on mine, hopefully someone will attempt a storage upgrade when they’re released so I know how plausible that is.

Oddly, I don't mind that I won't be getting one got another 10 months or so - just knowing I've secured one is enough. That in itself probably says a lot about how materialistic I evidently am...

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Urgh. Annoyingly my 64gb has gone from no date to Q1. 

I suppose it helps decision based on initial impressions.

It won't matter to your son, will it? It's what he wanted for his birthday?

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

It won't matter to your son, will it? It's what he wanted for his birthday?

He'll not get it for his birthday now. So he'll guage the impressions and decide himself in the end. 

He isn't actually too gutted about the delay. I think he has a list of things he wants. Graphics tablet and lenses back on the agenda :lol:

On 16/07/2021 at 07:43, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

There is no real reason for Steam to put this out other than its kinda cool and some people will really enjoy it. There is the argument that it broadens PC gaming to a wider audience, but I feel that will be relatively insignificant. 

According to The GabeN, they expect/hope to sell Millions of these, hence why they are willing to bend over on pricing it. It's expected to create a new market for PC gaming, with other manufacturers entering if it is as successful as they hope.

Dell/Alienware had a prototype shown at CES a few years ago, and Razer had another one years ago, so other companies have dabbled with the idea, with only unknown Chinese manufacturers with zero clout actually releasing products in the segment over the last few years. With Valve willing to kickstart it properly with what is hopefully some actual sustained effort, it could finally be the time for truly mobile PC gaming to become a viable business.

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

3 hours ago, Dukesy said:

Other than having my steam wallet topped up and using that as payment….I’m not sure. 

My receipt actually says the sale was completed at 18:00 so I was probably just lucky before the site got hammered. 

Same. I had Steam wallet funds, I think that was the key. But I did have my finger on the button to reserve and watched my PC's time tick over to 6pm...3rd time it went through and got my email invoice at 6:01, with a purchase time of 6pm. Well lucky. 

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Same. I had Steam wallet funds, I think that was the key. But I did have my finger on the button to reserve and watched my PC's time tick over to 6pm...3rd time it went through and got my email invoice at 6:01, with a purchase time of 6pm. Well lucky. 

Did exactly this at every step. 6:10pm. Q1 2022 (256gb). It’s just luck of the draw.

I put in a deposit today for a 512Gb thinger. Q3 2022. Plenty of time to see impressions and decide whether to pull the trigger or not.

Spoiler

Gutted I wasn't part of the hype / DDoSing Steam's servers / getting an earlier allocation yesterday, tbh

12 hours ago, Strafe said:

It was so annoying. I was just going to order one for curiosities sake. Managed to get one (512gb) into my basket at 6pm and then the whole nonsense of payment not going through started. So then I was bloody determined to grab one. It took me 45 minutes before I managed to get my payment to go through so have a date of Q2 2022, which is a bit disappointing considering I got one in my basket immediately. 

13 minutes ago, Popo said:

Where does one go to check in which quarter they’ve been allocated a delivery?

Go to steamdeck.com and click add to your wishlist - you should able to see under the button to cancel your reservation.

7 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I put in a deposit today for a 512Gb thinger. Q3 2022. Plenty of time to see impressions and decide whether to pull the trigger or not.

Hide contents

Gutted I wasn't part of the hype / DDoSing Steam's servers / getting an earlier allocation yesterday, tbh

Welcome aboard.

It was exhilarating, my wife left the room and was wondering who Gabecunt was. 

Steam have shafted me because I used my steam wallet. My preorder went to pending having fully completed the checkout at 18:01, my place in the queue is when the order was confirmed (19:17) Q2 2022.

Hoping enough people cancel to bump me into Q1.

I took a nap at the wrong time of day when I reserved mine, so I woke up and reserved one 4 hours after it started.  So my 512 gb version shows a Q2 2022 reservation. But yes, I can dream that maybe it'll get pushed up to Q1.

I want lots of people to experience the device, but at the same time, I would also prefer it if everyone else would just cancel their order, thanks. 😅

As a Switch owner this is fantastic news.  Historically, Nintendo rest on their laurels when they are ahead but do their best work when they are behind or have solid competition (which this seems to be).  I think we know which state Nintendo are in right now & they need a solid challenger to give them a kick up the butt.

Just now, Jarik said:

As a Switch owner this is fantastic news.  Historically, Nintendo rest on their laurels when they are ahead but do their best work when they are behind or have solid competition (which this seems to be).  I think we know which state Nintendo are in right now & they need a solid challenger to give them a kick up the butt.

I'd be surprised if Nintendo even notice, to be honest, especially after recently selling 90 million Switches. I think the Deck will be a lot more successful than some of Valve's other forays into hardware, but it's still a very niche product. I imagine as well that, for the average punter, asking them to pony up £350 for a handheld device when they could spend that money on a PS5 is asking a lot, too.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but it'll take a very clever, very expensive marketing campaign to make this appear both and accessible and desirable to non-enthusiasts, the type of people who don't visit gaming forums. I saw my brother yesterday, who owns a Switch and XB1, if he'd heard of the Steam Deck. He hadn't, unsurprisingly, but he didn't even know what Steam was. He asked me what to games were going to come out on it.

I suspect this will be the Vita, mk. II.

12 minutes ago, Jarik said:

To be honest I don't think this is going to be a direct competitor to the Switch. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like this is more aimed at people like us. While the Switch is massively popular among a wider audience, people who like to play a game occasionally, but don't see gaming as a hobby.