Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (3rd December 2021)

Hitcher

• Hitcher changed the title to Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp

Arrrghhh, they finally announce an Advanced Wars game, I get super excited when it appeared in the presentation but after a few seconds its revealed as just a rework of 2 of the previous games.

Still, a million times better than yet another fire emblem but, ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

image.png.094ca73d23926e6060d447c86f4ab2ad.png

Just now, StumpyJohn said:

Arrrghhh, they finally announce an Advanced Wars game, I get super excited when it appeared in the presentation but after a few seconds its revealed as just a rework of 2 of the previous games.

It's better than totally ignoring the series for years and, as I said, hopefully leads to new future games.

• Hitcher changed the title to Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (3rd December 2021)

The look reminds me of what little I've seen of Steven Universe. So that's nice because people dig that show.

And it's Advance Wars, which is fanfuckingtastic and I am very happy now. 

3 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Incredible. One of those series I just never expected them to return to. Yes it’s “just” a remake but who knows what could happen if it sells well? :omg:

They'll sell us Dual Strike as $30 DLC?  :omg:

I want my Hachi. 

Honestly this is probably the best thing I can imagine for the series. The third and fourth games were so much worse than the first two. I’d rather play them again on the switch looking gorgeous.

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I was a bit too young to appreciate these on the GBA back in the day, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about 🤠

Are we expecting a £40 price tag?

£49.99. It's on the Eshop preorder page now. I've just used my last Voucher for it so it cost me about £40. 

Edit: it's 11.7GB. 

Seeing it in a bit more detail, the actual combat scenes do look nice (I like the plasticky models, and the backgrounds are quite nice), but the strategy map is unpleasant. Hoping for a 'classic visuals' option, but on reflection I'll probably still buy it either way; I can't not support the series.

(I was going to say I hope that by supporting it it'll get a Fire Emblem-style renaissance, but I'm worried about cursing the timeline with an Advance Wars/waifu-rubbing crossover a-la 3DS-era Fire Emblem)

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Seeing it in a bit more detail, the actual combat scenes do look nice (I like the plasticky models, and the backgrounds are quite nice), but the strategy map is unpleasant. Hoping for a 'classic visuals' option, but on reflection I'll probably still buy it either way; I can't not support the series.

(I was going to say I hope that by supporting it it'll get a Fire Emblem-style renaissance, but I'm worried about cursing the timeline with an Advance Wars/waifu-rubbing crossover a-la 3DS-era Fire Emblem)

One thing I did notice is that the soldiers aren't all just identical white guys now. Seems to be a mix of races which is a nice update. Using the word nice there feels a bit off when talking about characters you are just sending to the slaughter but I tried rephrasing that sentence a few times and just got deeper in the weeds at each attempt. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Surely everyone turns the battle animations off as soon as the option appears? I do that on Fire Emblem and Advance Wars to speed everything up.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Definitely.

You turn it back on for the last few units before you crush the enemy right?

I dunno about that, to me it looks like they’ve gone for more of a miniatures/toys look rather than the cartoon look of the original. Which is growing on me - the battle map is a little wooden table now!