IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Would you try watching the battle in a YouTube video? I went straight to YouTube after hearing the fight was tough because I didn't fancy banging my head against a wall. After all the hype it wasn't that bad at all (once I knew what I was doing).

8 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Would you try watching the battle in a YouTube video? I went straight to YouTube after hearing the fight was tough because I didn't fancy banging my head against a wall. After all the hype it wasn't that bad at all (once I knew what I was doing).

I did that. For some reason I can't get my fingers to work fast enough to get all the counters.

For me, each boss seems impossible but you learn their moves and there's always a giveaway of what is about to happen which you can react to.  It means you lose a few lives to the boss, but then you work it out and you beat the boss whilst also not taking any damage yourself.  This is exactly how a boss should be, you work out the way to beat it, and the seemingly impossible boss becomes easy.

But with the final boss, it goes wrong because you don't get to see enough of phase 2 to work it out and it feels out of control and chaotic.  When you die you need to play through phase 1 again, which I can now do without taking any damage at all because I've done it so many times.  But there's no way to practice phase 2 and work it out.  Watching on YouTube is cheating.

For me, 90% of this game is a brilliant Metroid game.  But the EMMIs just annoy and frustrate, and the final boss is broken and that just takes the shine off it.  For me, I'd take out the EMMI insta-deaths just so you don't keep seeing the game over screen so many times. Also I'd make it so if you die on a boss, the game restarts on the phase you were on.  This is one of the games that frustrated me because that's such a small issue and it really spoiled an otherwise brilliant game.

For me, this game is the Turok 2 of the current generation – the critical acclaim does not match the debased quality of the product. The exploration element is enjoyably breezy, if a bit linear at times, the stealth is a bit so-so, but the difficulty spikes on the boss battles absolutely ruin this game. 

On 22/04/2022 at 23:10, Marlowe said:

Have cleared it 3 times now. First time a 100% Normal run, then cleared Hard mode, then cleared Normal again in 3:30. Just leaves an under 4 hour Hard run to do but I think I'll leave that one for another day!

Another day ended up being the very same week. Couldn't stay away from it.

Turok 2 lol.

Picked this up in the Trading Folder here and, while it's good, it does make me wonder why Other M got such a hard time of it a decade ago. It had a bit of a pants story, but I always thought it was a very modern 2D Metroid. So for me, this doesn't feel as long awaited as someone who's been hankering for one since Fusion. 

Using missiles is fiddly as well, especially in the heat of a boss battle. The controls in general are like that, which is a shame as Seamus is very fluid and fast overall. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been loving this the last couple of days (thanks Chindie) but holy hell it’s not easy. Should’ve maybe started on Rookie mode!

As mentioned above, the bosses (that I’ve encountered so far) have a pattern to learn, not unlike a Souls game. Being in 2D there’s less space to move around in, but once it clicks you’re left with a big smile on your face! 
The atmosphere is tremendous and the moment an EMMI appears, man it’s tense as hell!

I'm about five hours into this and I think I might hate it..? It's mostly down to the controls which I just can't seem to get my head around. None of the buttons seem to be where I expect them to be - and I swear - if I go into a morph ball rather than root myself to the spot one more time I'll launch my Switch through the window. Samus has always felt tanky, but I'm finding the combination of that with the analogue stick and the aiming incredibly frustrating.

I played a bit of the Cuphead DLC last night. It was obviously rock fucking hard, but I felt in complete control and the little dude was always doing what I wanted him to do. Dread feels like I'm battling with my hands as much as I am the bosses. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m up to the final boss, only tried fighting him a couple of times but it’s gonna be a slog! 
I decided to go back and try to get every item, but some of the speed boost blocks seem impossible to access!

Overall, this is definitely one of the best Switch games I’ve played, once it gets its hooks in you, it’s hard to put it down!

5 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Better than super metroid?! Please deposit yourself in the bin for people with opinions that are wrong.

I think it is too - if you play them side by side.  Zero Mission is also better 

EYE EMM OHHHH

I can see why folks who played SM back in the day would be misty eyed for it... but I almost broke my controller when playing it for the first time.  

7 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I’m up to the final boss, only tried fighting him a couple of times but it’s gonna be a slog! 
I decided to go back and try to get every item, but some of the speed boost blocks seem impossible to access!

Overall, this is definitely one of the best Switch games I’ve played, once it gets its hooks in you, it’s hard to put it down!

I'm a *rubbish* gamer... the final boss is not as hard as lots of people complained about, especially if you're fully powered up.

There are aspects of Dread that are undoubtedly better than Super Metroid. The movement mechanics and controls being the major one.

I'd hesitate to compare them overall though as they are quite different games, Dread being more in the linear action-focused mould of Fusion than the open-ended exploration-focused mould of Super Metroid.

Once I finished dread I immediately played super metroid. I played it for a dose of reality, thinking that, since I hadn't played it in a few years it wasn't going to be as good as I remembered. I was surprised to find that it was much better than I remembered. So yeah, I did play the two games back to back in 2022 and thought super was the better game.

Fusion doesn't hold a candle to super, either. It's extremely linear and has no atmosphere, you spend half the time reading some utterly inane story.

Super Metroid is incredible, I first completed it on the WiiU and it was an incredible experience (around 2014 I think?!). I’ll probably play it again soon, but I’m going to play Zero Mission first. 
Fusion was good too but very linear in comparison.

Dread is probably pipped at the post by Super as the best Metroid game.

18 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Once I finished dread I immediately played super metroid. I played it for a dose of reality, thinking that, since I hadn't played it in a few years it wasn't going to be as good as I remembered. I was surprised to find that it was much better than I remembered. So yeah, I did play the two games back to back in 2022 and thought super was the better game.

Fusion doesn't hold a candle to super, either. It's extremely linear and has no atmosphere, you spend half the time reading some utterly inane story.

Rather coincidence, I replayed both Super and Zero Mission just before Dread came out - more because I got a MiSTer - and they’re are few games I’m more familiar with than Super Metroid. I still have my original cart in its big box that I received for my 14th birthday in 1994. 

I far and away prefer Dread to any of them…and most Metroidvania’s in general, especially Hollow Knight which is far too long. Dread really feels like you’re untying a shoelace as you go along and it feels so rewarding to do so. People talk about sequence breaking and what not, and I personally don’t care about that aspect. 

Emmi’s totally suck though. Maybe it’s because I haven’t got many abilities yet but the third one seems to be waiting in whichever zone entrance I go in. Can’t wait to shoot him in his stupid face. 

Still not as annoying as the fucking drillbot from returns. Twat. 

I spent the last few nights wondering back and forth all the levels picking up every item because I heard the final boss is tough.  Wow, he is isn't he.  He has been kicking my arse on the first 5 or so attempts, but I'm starting to read the signposting.  I got to a bit where he taunts me but then died hard.  I know there's multiple phases here and I'm struggling with phase 1!

Decided to take a break tonight because it's late - better hit him fresh tomorrow night

Finished - not that tough after learning the attacks, although not all of it that obvious.  I have to say it's one of the few games that I needed to use a guide a few times when I was completely lost (and finding out that I simply needed to shoot a hidden block - after wondering around levels for hours trying to work out where I went wrong) and on another part where I was confused once again about if I was going in the right direction.

After that it kind of game me a hint about looking for hidden stuff and working towards certain things - like the upgrade items.  But I did return to the guides again after I'd gone back and got every possible item I could find and then was left with seemingly impossible speed blocks (spoilered for those who do not want to know

Spoiler

I thought I'd missed an ability to be able to hit the speed really quickly, but the game really doesn't give you any hints about the fact you can wall jump and keep your speed going, or you can transition from a shinespark into another shinespark under certain situations.  Knowing about this and understanding a solution got me 90% of them, but I needed to return to the guide for the remaining 10% - some of which I must have spent 30 minutes each on... even knowing how to do it.

There was some stuff I didn't know about the final boss either, and once again I checked out a few things in a guide because I didn't want the boss fight to end in me giving up in frustration.

Spoiler

I had no idea that I should be firing missiles at him during the counters... no wonder I wasn't progressing!  And things like using the super bomb on the big scary red ball on phase 4 (IIRC) was really useful.  I also had no idea that I just had to hold the Y button during the final confrontation on the planet.  I died first time and thought I'd had to redo the boss fight from the beginning!

Really fun game.  Whilst I completed the two (I think) GBA outings (and the original Metroid Prime) I haven't finished Super Metroid.  I didn't get on with it particularly well... although I expect the gaming OCD to kick in eventually which will get me playing it again.