Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

I enjoyed Samus Returns a lot and this looks even better! I like the bit in the trailer where you have to stand still so the enemy can't see you. That and the 'Dread' in the title suggests it's going to be pretty freaky. Good stuff.

I'm super happy that Mercurysteam is getting the chance to work on an original Metroid.

They really changed so much in Metroid 2 for Samus Returns, and on the whole it worked very well.

Only Mercurysteam make Metroidvanias.

Absolutely day one for this. Can’t wait! 

Everyone who has ever complained about there not being more 2D Metroids better buy the fuck out of this to show there is a demand for them. 

I'm pretty happy with how it all looked. Not amazing visually but solid, like a HD upgrade of Samus Returns but with a much colder palette and I like the idea of being chased from room to room by the big robots.

A survival horror-ish vibe?

Yeah, the aesthetic doesn't appeal to me, but the gameplay looked solid — really satisfying looking motion in particular, which is crucial. Looking forward to this.

Almost forgot the reason I bought the Switch initially was for Metroid. Is that still scheduled?

I like the 2D approach, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Being in 2D doesn't necessarily guarantee greatness, especially when we don't live in the 2D heyday anymore.

Terrible title though

16 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

It looks so so bad

16 hours ago, Retroid said:

This looks so good, Alien Isolation meets Metroid - sign me the fuck up!

ThisisRLLMUK.gif

I want to be excited but MercurySteam have yet to make a game that's really good imo. Axiom Verge 2 is probably the better bet.

That said, I enjoyed the Treehouse demo.

37 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Terrible title though

It's fine. Especially considering you're being constantly hunted down by a predatory rogue A.I.

Those were the best parts in Fusion.

Also, Metroid 5 has been called that for years. It was openly in development for a time before it was canned.

Oof. 

Well I definitely fell down from cloud 9 after the Treehouse play session. This is Samus Returns 2, warts and all. 

It’ll be fine, I’ll play it, but it has all the annoyances of Other M and Samus Returns on display. What they’ve shown also seems to confirm the “scene by scene” gameplay of those games: a mostly linear progression interspersed with boss events and minimal deviation. Metroid by way of Uncharted if you will. Sure, by the end you’ll be allowed back into the earlier areas to mop up items but dammit. It’s like Sakamoto read all the critique on Fusion and thought: “that’s my Metroid template sorted then!”

Oh and all the story fluff of Prime creeping in (Aurora Units, Omega Cannon, and the Corruption suit to counter Fusion’s merge?) is worrying.

On top of that, the engine is clearly the 3DS one running at a higher resolution. Now the Switch is no PS5 or 4 but it can do graphics a lot better than this. 

Best bit: the E.M.M.I.s bleeping the original elevator theme. 

Thank god for Thomas Happ. 

Looks like I will be picking up a switch for the 3rd time.... 

*Although I will be looking to get a Lite second hand for peanuts. 

A Lite would be a good shout for this. I’m wanting to play this handheld, curled up on a comfy chair by the fire on that pishing wet weekend of my dreams with my Metroidvania standard-issue Nice Bottle of Red 🥰

25 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Thank god for Thomas Happ. 

Yes, because this rookie Nintendo lot don’t have a decent track record we can use for reassurance at all.

Honestly, some folks are so earnestly pessimistic it’s bonkers. Instead of innocent until guilty, it’s ‘shit until it’s a few years old and people are finally prepared to admit they were overly harsh and it was actually decent’.