E3 2021 - Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase - EXTENDED SHOW NOW LIVE

I can't get over the audacity of Microsoft running a comedy trailer from a first party studio make about only having made a trailer, but no game, when Microsoft have managed one first party release in the first 6 months of their consoles life. Which was a port of a 6 month old PC game.

I'm in awe.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I am pleased to announce that the chip on AlexW's shoulder will be available day one on GamePass Ultimate.

But only as an Xbox Launch Exclusive, apparently.

8 minutes ago, Marlew said:

My issue as ever is that if you only inhabit the MS ecosystem, GP is fucking great. But if you already played most of these games elsewhere a year or two ago, or you're happy to just buy the ones you're interested in, the Xbox itself is much less appealing. I don't want an indie game subscription. 

There aren't enough BIG games for me. It was the same last gen and it looks to be the same again so far despite all the acquisitions.

I'll buy a Series X next month for Flight Sim and FH5 will be as brilliant as ever, but aside from these two, nothing of interest in the pipeline. 

Yeah, not much for, £30 a year or free if you do your rewards points 

/s

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I thought that was a pretty relentless stream of stuff, but unfortunately not an awful lot of it was for me. I realise this is a faintly ridiculous criticism but it was all very Xbox-y. I was rather hoping they would be broadening that range a bit. 

Yeah, despite Game Pass becoming a powerhouse, it’s a distinctly OG Xbox style powerhouse. I’m simply not anywhere close to Xbox’ target demographic it seems.

10 minutes ago, Marlew said:

My issue as ever is that if you only inhabit the MS ecosystem, GP is fucking great. But if you already played most of these games elsewhere a year or two ago, or you're happy to just buy the ones you're interested in, the Xbox itself is much less appealing. I don't want an indie game subscription. 

There aren't enough BIG games for me. It was the same last gen and it looks to be the same again so far despite all the acquisitions.

I'll buy a Series X next month for Flight Sim and FH5 will be as brilliant as ever, but aside from these two, nothing of interest in the pipeline. 

None of those games apart from Flight Sim and Hades are already out on anything? 

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Most of the games they showed are launching day one on Game Pass (barring a few exceptions like Hades)

So fuck knows where you'd have already played them elsewhere?

And @deerokus

As I said, I don't want an indie game subscription. You're absolutely right that most of the games announced here are new, but they're of no interest to me. 

My mistake writing 'these games' rather than 'the games', I was speaking in general terms about the GP library.

8 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Anyhoo, I seemed to have ruffled a few feathers with that one, it's just (as these things often are) expectations meeting reality. 

I was actually surprised how many Series only games are out before the stated 2 year window is up. It was easy to miss though, they should have made a bigger thing about which were not cross gen.

Well, I was sorely disappointed. No Fable, Perfect Dark or Halo campaign. None of the games (with the possible exception of Stalker 2) impressed more than Max and The Curse of the Brotherhood which I was playing on my series x before the show started. 

Max is excellent BTW. 

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yeah, despite Game Pass becoming a powerhouse, it’s a distinctly OG Xbox style powerhouse. I’m simply not anywhere close to Xbox’ target demographic it seems.

I thought the same thing, generally, and also do with Sony conferences. But there ends up being enough depth to keep me turning these machines on every day, so.

20 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

you cant really argue with game pass, a new game, or two, a month till the end of the year!

image.thumb.png.e437fa657bbfc775f0fa2c1d6917fe24.png

“Utter shit and a set of indie games not worth a £1 Xbox gold conversion”: rllmukforum.com 2021

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

And @deerokus

As I said, I don't want an indie game subscription. You're absolutely right that most of the games announced here are new, but they're of no interest to me. 

My mistake writing 'these games' rather than 'the games', I was speaking in general terms about the GP library.

Right, I don't think I'd class most of those as indie games but I get you. 

PS is definitely the system to go for if you just want the AAA stuff. 

Just now, Cyhwuhx said:

I think given the MS comments this past week, they're banking that you won't have to be. If they roll out those Series X Xcloud upgrades and everything on Game Pass is available on your smart TV, your phone, and whatever else, they'll be able to reach you without you having to justify that £450 buy-in, meaning you're a potential customer if there's just one title on there that you're interested in. By the time many of these games launch, it may well be the case that your Switch and your PS5 are the only hardware you own that won't be playing them.

Yeah it's mad in that screenshot literally a third of those games are what most people would consider 'indie' titles.

I don't know what all the people who say Xbox isn't for them in this thread are after - they showed pretty incredible diversity in that event.

Just not exclusively AAA third person action adventure games, which I feel like is what the people who say that are missing?

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think given the MS comments this past week, they're banking that you won't have to be. If they roll out those Series X Xcloud upgrades and everything on Game Pass is available on your smart TV, your phone, and whatever else, they'll be able to reach you without you having to justify that £450 buy-in, meaning you're a potential customer if there's just one title on there that you're interested in. By the time many of these games launch, it may well be the case that your Switch and your PS5 are the only hardware you own that won't be playing them.

Yeah, but that won’t make me like the games more. I’m totally on board with their strategy, it’s my personal disconnect with the content that’s surprising me. 

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah it's mad in that screenshot literally a third of those games are what most people would consider 'indie' titles.

I don't know what all the people who say Xbox isn't for them in this thread are after - they showed pretty incredible diversity in that event.

Just not exclusively AAA third person action adventure games, which I feel like is what the people who say that are missing?

For me, the stuff that looked interesting was timed exclusive. I was very surprised that STALKER 2 turned out to be a timed exclusive. Thought it was Xbox exclusive last year. 

1 minute ago, LaveDisco said:

@footie I would have bought The Ascent, Twelve Minutes Sable, B4B, Psychonauts and Forza Horizon, so I'm well up for that.

Sure, I’d have skipped the ascent and sable and B4B. But then I converted years ago for sea of thieves and FH4, and have then topped up every now and again. And will happily spend £65 on R&C to see what it look like (pretty), GoT (massively oversold) and TLOU2 (amazing and depressing), so basically game pass is just saving me money I’d otherwise spend anyway!

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

For me, the stuff that looked interesting was timed exclusive. I was very surprised that STALKER 2 turned out to be a timed exclusive. Thought it was Xbox exclusive last year. 

Stalker on any kind of console is a compromise anyway.

It's as 'PC' as a game can possibly be. 

13 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I can't get over the audacity of Microsoft running a comedy trailer from a first party studio make about only having made a trailer, but no game, when Microsoft have managed one first party release in the first 6 months of their consoles life. Which was a port of a 6 month old PC game.

I'm in awe.

Reveal hidden contents

And then ending the show with a CGI trailer for a game that I'll bet PeteBrant's other bollock doesn't hit its summer 2022 release date and may or may not even resemble what we saw when it does come out.

As an Xbox Series X owner I was disappointed to be honest. There was nothing shown which really made me sit up and say wow. Most of the trailers were console “launch” exclusives and were “well, it looks ok for a last gen game”. The majority of what they showed seemed like smaller third-party studios / indie games rather than heavy hitters. There were no graphical showcases barring MSFS or Forza Horizon 5. Halo infinite has me interested to play it just to see what it’s like, but I wouldn’t say it’s a must have. Maybe I just had the wrong impressions going in, but I expected this to be a first party event with a few third party exclusives. What we got was nothing like that and could have been watching any games showcase.

Don't get me wrong as releasing all these titles on GamePass is a nice to have, it’s just not what I expected from an E3 showing, especially when MS have increased their internal studios as much as they have. Saying that, I am drunk and maybe I just went into it with the wrong mindset. Ah well, here’s to E3 2022! Until then I guess I can look on with envy at what the competition is releasing.

Can't say much wrong with that. A tonne of games with a load on game pass. FH5 looked awesome. No halo infinite campaign gameplay was a bit sketchy 

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They want gritty single player 30 hour games like TLOU, GOW and HZD. 

I think. 

I’m shocked by how many games at both SGF and this were Diablo style top down games. I guess maybe they’re always getting release but the pandemic has affected them less so they’re filling spots that would usually be taken by other games.