Playstation State of Play - @Ry You missed it!

Radish

From the blog:

This Thursday, a State of Play broadcast will serve up new updates and deep dives for 10 games coming to PS4 and PS5, including new game announcements and updates on some of the third-party and indie titles you last saw in June’s PS5 showcase. 

The show is clocking it at 30 minutes or so, give or take. Can’t wait to hear what you think! And a quick note: there won’t be PlayStation hardware or business-focused updates in this show. We’re focusing on great games set to come out in the months ahead.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

"Everything day one on both PlayStation and PC" and then get out a huge bucket of popcorn to go and scroll through Twitter

That would be juicy indeed.

It's actually more likely than it ever has been, given that semiconductor supply is fucked for basically the entire year, and so we are looking at PS5 consoles being supply constrained until at least 2022.

They have to recoup game development costs somehow.

That being said, I don't think Sony are ready to make that kind of announcement, they are still very much wedded to the console + exclusive content business model. They aren't turning into a content and services business any time soon.

10 minutes ago, Isaac said:

That being said, I don't think Sony are ready to make that kind of announcement, they are still very much wedded to the console + exclusive content business model. They aren't turning into a content and services business any time soon

Agreed but I do think we'll see a bunch more PC ports of older exclusives. God of War, maybe even Uncharted.

Like the nintendo direct, I suspect Covid has hit development hard, and with supply constraints limiting sales, I suspect we'll get a very sparse year of releases.

I suspect they'll go the MS way and make a big deal about some rez and frame rate boosts for some classics. But may charge for them, unlike MS.

And def no PSVR news, or they would have waited for the state of play. 

I'd assume you'll start to see more and more of the PS4 catalogue make its way to PC. That's a catalogue of well-reviewed games that presumably starts to feel like free money in doing a port. I can't imagine them racing to get PS5 titles across. That's obviously how they sell PS5s.

Unless they’re announcing you can order one without having to join an alert-bot Twitter or Discord group, followed by a frantic dash to a crashed website which once refreshed a dozen times puts you in a queue for an hour, let’s you put a compulsory £699.99 bundle in your basket and then kicks you out saying there’s no stock....they can fuck off.

19 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Like the nintendo direct, I suspect Covid has hit development hard, and with supply constraints limiting sales, I suspect we'll get a very sparse year of releases.

I suspect they'll go the MS way and make a big deal about some rez and frame rate boosts for some classics. But may charge for them, unlike MS.

And def no PSVR news, or they would have waited for the state of play. 

It won't have hit development as hard as Nintendo, because Sony have a large number of development teams in the west - it's not all Japan.

Nintendo was totally fucked by the pandemic because, like many Japanese companies, they had rejected (or just not even noticed) the 21st century shift to flexible/remote working, and still have a culture where if you're working, you're at work, or in the office. Most developers at Nintendo had never taken their devices home, for example.

Contrast that with a friend I have who works managing a team of programmers at a very well known UK development studio who said that pre-pandemic they already had a one/two day a week work-from-home policy, and so already had systems in place to allow people to connect remotely to their in-office workstations and devkits. He said productivity was basically unaffected (allowing for people home-schooling of course) by the pandemic because all that changed is that they shifted to working remotely full-time. The systems were already in place to enable this.

Essentially, the pandemic has been particularly bad for Japanese businesses who clung to old-school working practices despite the tools already existing to enable them to continue to work through the pandemic without issue.

Just now, womblingfree said:

Unless they’re announcing you can order one without having to join an alert-bot Twitter group or Discord group, followed by a frantic dash to a crashed website which once refreshed a dozen times puts you in a queue for an hour, let’s you put a compulsory £699.99 bundle in your basket and then kicks you out saying there’s no stock....they can fuck off.

I think it's a bit unfair to blame them for a global semiconductor shortage that's affecting most tech industries.

Although yeah, they could perhaps implement some form of lottery/queue system to make things easier for people.