The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Paulando

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also tempted to get it.

At the same time, I often convinced myself games that didn't click a while ago were much better than I remember - that I was probably too harsh at the time, or in a bad mood when attempting to first play it. I build up excitement about taking a second shot at said title. And then I play it and realise nothing has changed and the same issues bother me now that bothered me then. This has happened with a lot of PS4 games as of late.

For some reason, though, it feels like this time will be different. Maybe Skyward Sword was a very rough diamond after all? Maybe it's linearity and strange design decisions will seem a blessing rather than a curse this time? Unfortunately the new HD version seems ugly to me, though. My memories are of it being more handsome than this - not Wind Waker levels of beauty, but sometimes pretty in its own bizarre way. For me this new version looks like the ugliest Zelda I've seen, but it's still passable and maybe it's something you get over quickly. 

2 minutes ago, CS2x said:

For me this new version looks like the ugliest Zelda I've seen, but it's still passable and maybe it's something you get over quickly. 

I thought on original release the art style was rather ugly. Like they wanted to do the slightly more mature look of Twilight Princess but then decided half way through that they were going to use really cartoony colours.

47 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I thought on original release the art style was rather ugly. Like they wanted to do the slightly more mature look of Twilight Princess but then decided half way through that they were going to use really cartoony colours.

On reflection you're right. I think even then it probably looked more like an unfortunate halfway-house between Twilight Princess and something more definitely stylised and cartooney. It generally didn't work. But maybe the smeared, dreamy visual aspect / sheen calmed down that problem somewhat? I remember some bits looked better, and then others (like the more puzzle-laden, busy overworld sections, or alternatively more barren parts with not much texturing) came off really badly.

I think later Nintendo nailed this look in what seems like a more deliberate way: BotW did the painterly-meets-some-realism look well!

I don't think pumping up the resolution is doing it any favours. Maybe they used higher res assets than just blowing it up to 1080p but if even higher quality textures aren't going to do much if they were rather plain to start with.

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Seriously, how much of a QoL increase would the Loftwing amiibo make? I.e. is it a ballache not being able to go from sky to ground at will?

I haven't played it since release but it's an extremely linear game. My memory is that once you are in a ground area there is pretty much no reason you want to go back into the sky at will until you had completed the ground area you had landed in. I may be forgetting something obvious but I definitely don't recall it being a game where you're constantly going between the sky and the ground. 

Yeah, that news, combined with the already-well-known ability to turn off motion controls, means there's every possibility that this will jump from being my most hated 3D Zelda to my favourite that isn't called Breath of the Wild. I may actually have to give it a go.

The QoL improvements seems like a sort of non-Nintendo thing to do - them actually explicitly acknowledging the shortcomings of the original game and actively working to improve them. Progress!

And I enjoyed the motion controls of the original game, so I reckon I'll play this with a joycon in each hand, like in the video. Presumably the joycons are as accurate, if not more so, as the Wii Motion Plus controller, right?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I thought the right stick did the sword. This sounds messy.

I've paid very little attention but I assume using the right stick for directional slashing will require Z-targeting with the left trigger or something. If you're not targeting, right stick controls camera. Seems pretty elegant in my head. If it's not this, sign me up, Nint. I got an idea for you. 

I hated this game when it originally released, but somehow I'm really looking forward to the remaster. It's not just the QOL improvements either, I think it's been so long that since I played a traditional 3D Zelda - you know with proper dungeons and stuff - that my body is ready to dive in l. I'm hoping the waggle alternative works well.

Did everyone who hated the waggle in this not play it with the Motion Sense Plus controllers? I played it for the first time on the Wii U about 5 years ago using one and thought it was absolutely fine, myself.

Friend of mine has been reviewing this. Apparently the button controls are a little frustrating but given time you can get used to it. I'll try it - if i have to use motion controls then so be it though.

I’m like Gerbik, in that I thought it was really poor when I first played it, but that was mainly down to the motion controls, which I absolutely detested. I’m hoping now it’s got a traditional control style, along with the other QoL improvements, it’ll play much better.

Edit: @Darhkwing Oh. I’ll wait for the reviews then.

7 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

It only played with the motion plus controller. 

Oh.

Well, I liked the motion controls. They were pretty much the game's key USP. Without them this is a pretty by numbers Zelda, from what I remember. I better get the Joy Cons charged in anticipation.

Iirc I bought the motion+ things especially for this game because everyone swore up and down that it made a massive difference. They lied.

Well, not exactly. The waggle was without a doubt better. But it was still waggle. It wasn't going to make a lick of difference for anyone that didn't already like waggle. That was the problem and that's why it received such a marmite reception. Some people loved it 10/10 talk to Fi all day long time, while others who didn't like the Wii waggle to begin with, just encountered more waggle.

It was as if you had a drink that you always thought tasted bad, while other people think it tastes great. Then they serve you the exact same drink again only with a cute little umbrella sticking out of the glass, and the edge reviewer is sitting next you at the bar telling you that the cute little umbrella makes a huge difference, 10 out of 10 revolutionary drink.