The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Link's Awakening is a relic of its time and an unmistakeable product of the system it launched on. It is composed of tiny areas and dungeons, obtuse roadblocks and unengaging combat. Despite being small the dungeons are as well designed as always but everything in between is completely forgettable. I could barely even tell you anything about it and that's after playing the Switch remake at launch...chain chomp, phone huts, giant egg, some monkeys I think. Meh. It's been bettered so many times over by now in literally all aspects that I find it impossible to get excited over.

2 hours ago, Jolly said:

Looked at this thead just before bed last night and then engaged in possibly the least erotic pillow talk of all time by explaining to my wife how wrong you all are, what the correct order is and why. So thanks everyone. 

Surely mentioning Skyward Sword should have got her going.

They did a good job with the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster. Tidied up the graphics quite a bit (debatable aesthetic change mind you) and made some small improvements to quality of life stuff. 

The exception to what seems to be their rule of just porting. 

For some reason a lot of games that were originally on the Wii look terrible today, whereas stuff on ps2/cube xbox often stands up better. It's weird. I'm replaying RE4 lately and as far as I can tell its many HD releases have only ever really been little more than increasing render resolution. Still looks decent enough that they haven't needed to redo the assets. 

Yeah, but they still have a distinct development culture and were actively involved in the remaster by (as far as I can tell) their own wishes. Given EAD doesn't even exist as a discrete entity any more, I'd imagine this (as with e.g. Mario 3d All Stars) is quite a different affair in terms of business drive.

Does anyone remember the early Demos of Skyward Sword for the Wii where they were making a big deal about motion controls for the bow and arrow, only for it to not work right in those demos & not be in the final game?  Well, if you look at 1:40 in that announcement trailer they’ve added in a more ‘immersive’ control scheme for the bow once more.

Nice to see A Link Between Worlds so high up the list. It was the first Zelda game I finished, and it’s what spurred me into playing and finishing all of 3D Zelda remasters (apart from Skyward Sword).

I would put Ocarina a bit lower though, as I found it a little frustrating on 3DS. Majora’s Mask was much better.

31 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Keza pretty much nails it tbf. I’d swap WW for ALttP but the fact that she’s placed both so close together demonstrates she knows what she’s talking about. It’s the most accurate list posted in this thread, certainly :coffee:

It’s an academic list, no one in their right mind would place the original LoZ above Skyward Sword or Minish Cap, because no one would actually even bother to play it these days, it’s just too old and awkward with none of the QOL features we have come to expect. I mean it’s great from an archivists POV but not from a players.

The same goes for Majora’s Mask. Yes it’s clever and different with its time travel mechanic, but the dungeons can’t hold a candle to the majesty of Ocarina of Time.

And I can’t even remember much about Oracle & Ages having only played it/them the once back in the day - but I do know that Link’s Awakening is way better even in it’s original form and the remake is a thing of sheer beauty. 

I’m hoping they bring out a wee Zelda 1 Game & Watch like that Mario one. I’d be looking forward to dicking about in that far more than the prospect of playing Skyward Sword again, and I’m not even one of those Skyward Sword haters.

I agree that Ocarina is a better game than Majora, but Majora is a game that’s somehow better than the sum of its parts for me. It feels really special within a series that’s really special generally. Playing it all the way through and doing all of the relevant side quests in order for the whole story to fall into place was so atmospheric and brilliant to me. Kids getting dosed up on drugged milk because the apocalypse was coming. Fucking rad.

55 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Does anyone remember the early Demos of Skyward Sword for the Wii where they were making a big deal about motion controls for the bow and arrow, only for it to not work right in those demos & not be in the final game?  Well, if you look at 1:40 in that announcement trailer they’ve added in a more ‘immersive’ control scheme for the bow once more.

What happened? I don’t remember a difference but that’s likely due to the extreme passage of time!

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m hoping they bring out a wee Zelda 1 Game & Watch like that Mario one. I’d be looking forward to dicking about in that far more than the prospect of playing Skyward Sword again, and I’m not even one of those Skyward Sword haters.

I agree that Ocarina is a better game than Majora, but Majora is a game that’s somehow better than the sum of its parts for me. I feels really special within a series that’s really special generally. Playing it all the way through and doing all of the relevant side quests in order for the whole story to fall into place was so atmospheric and brilliant to me. Kids getting dosed up on drugged milk because the apocalypse was coming. Fucking rad.

Would love the G&W too but with A Link To The Past instead of LoZ, I remember playing it on my Gameboy Micro and it was purely brilliant. 

I can’t wait for Skyward Sword I only ever played it through once when it came out, and I really loved it, so it’ll be interesting to see if it holds up. I reckon it will, I’m especially looking forward to better motion controls as promised - they make the game. 

36 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s an academic list, no one in their right mind would place the original LoZ above Skyward Sword or Minish Cap, because no one would actually even bother to play it these days, it’s just too old and awkward with none of the QOL features we have come to expect. I mean it’s great from an archivists POV but not from a players.

I strongly, strongly disagree. The game is very playable and very enjoyable even today and has aged really well. It could even pass as an odd modern indie game in today’s day and age. 
The way the world ties together and the way you find the dungeons is still really interesting. It has that “untying a knot” design vibe in spades! 
There are unfortunately a few dungeon locations that are impossible to find without a guide (Nintendo helpline was an early form of paywall) but totally play it! 
Play it on Switch with save points and use a guide if you get stuck, but it holds up! 

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I strongly, strongly disagree. The game is very playable and very enjoyable even today and has aged really well. It could even pass as an odd modern indie game in today’s day and age. 
The way the world ties together and the way you find the dungeons is still really interesting. It has that “untying a knot” design vibe in spades! 
There are unfortunately a few dungeon locations that are impossible to find without a guide (Nintendo helpline was an early form of paywall) but totally play it! 
Play it on Switch with save points and use a guide if you get stuck, but it holds up! 

I’ve played it through, mainly just so that I could see where it all began. 

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Link's Awakening is a relic of its time and an unmistakeable product of the system it launched on. It is composed of tiny areas and dungeons, obtuse roadblocks and unengaging combat. Despite being small the dungeons are as well designed as always but everything in between is completely forgettable. I could barely even tell you anything about it and that's after playing the Switch remake at launch...chain chomp, phone huts, giant egg, some monkeys I think. Meh. It's been bettered so many times over by now in literally all aspects that I find it impossible to get excited over.

I missed my stop and ended up two stations down the line, thanks to this great game. I was fully engrossed in the game, and wearing headphones!

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

What happened? I don’t remember a difference but that’s likely due to the extreme passage of time!

I know they blamed things like Wireless Interference & the Sensor Bar being too far away & the finished game did work a lot better, but that whole ‘draw the remote back like a bowstring’ thing did intrigue me even though I doubted it be that much fun if you had to do it all the time.

I've seen it brought up in this thread and the Direct one that we shouldn't expect this to sell as good as other Switch ports.

Well...

Consider the following the first dent in that narrative:  https://twistedvoxel.com/zelda-skyward-sword-hd-amazon-best-sellers-stock/

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has already become one of the best sellers on Amazon in the Video Games Category and has been out of stock.

[...]

The game currently ranks as the number 1 best seller on Amazon USA and it is also charting in the Top 5 best-selling games on Amazon UK. It is out of stock and as a result, Amazon is working hard to get the game back in stock soon. This is despite the release date being set for July so it appears Amazon has already sold most of its allocated pre-orders.

They have a captive audience, 70m Switch consoles and Skyward Sword sold just under 4m originally on Wii, so basically most Switch owners have never played it and Zelda is extremely popular right now.

5 hours ago, HarMGM said:

I've seen it brought up in this thread and the Direct one that we shouldn't expect this to sell as good as other Switch ports.

Well...

Consider the following the first dent in that narrative:  https://twistedvoxel.com/zelda-skyward-sword-hd-amazon-best-sellers-stock/

Seems to be available for pre-ordering on Amazon. Just waiting for those joy-cons to become available.

I thought I might get the Joy-Cons if they had fixed the Drift issue, but then I realised how silly that thought was & after slapping myself in the face a few times I’m much better now.

One thing that's making me excited to play it is the news that the file size is double the originals on Wii.

On the Wii, SS was about 3,5/3,6 GB whereas the file on Switch is over 7,5 GB. XCDE went from 6,5 GB to over 13 GB on Switch so it could suggest more has been changed and added to the game then the initial reveal has given away.

8 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

One thing that's making me excited to play it is the news that the file size is double the originals on Wii.

On the Wii, SS was about 3,5/3,6 GB whereas the file on Switch is over 7,5 GB. XCDE went from 6,5 GB to over 13 GB on Switch so it could suggest more has been changed and added to the game then the initial reveal has given away.

Yeah people are expecting some Bowser's Fury extra for Skyward Sword. I'm sort of shocked by the reaction that many people hate the original because of the motion controls. 

19 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Yeah people are expecting some Bowser's Fury extra for Skyward Sword. I'm sort of shocked by the reaction that many people hate the original because of the motion controls. 

A vocal portion of the gaming community HATED motion controls with a passion. I'd be surprised if there were a lot of people who actually had issues while playing the game.