Ambilight & Gaming

T Pot

On 14/09/2021 at 17:36, ThePinkNinja said:

Edit: ah no just seen I need a sync box too :(. No good for me then since it appears to only support HDMI and no DP so oh well!

Not if you only want it for PC. You only need the hub, some Hue lights, gradient strip, bulbs, Go Play Bars etc and the apps. Sync box is needed for connecting TV cable boxes, PS5 and Blu Ray players etc.

As I posted above, I do all my media consuming via my PC and a big majority of my gaming, it works great for that. It's fast as fuck for matching the screen, well it is for me. 

I was actually going to buy a sync box due to getting a PS5 and would like it for a few games on that, oh and my Switch. But I play anything from MS and multiplatform stuff at top 4K HDR settings on my PC and the sync PC app works boss for all of it.

I still may get a sync box, although the current sync box is HDMI 2.0 and I've just got a 77" C1 with 4K 120 VRR capability and 2.1 HDMI I'd be happy with just 60 fps for both Switch and PS5. Saying that, the current Sync box is getting an update soon that'll enable VRR 120 at 1440p or VRR 60 at 4K, all with Atmos and HDR capability so will jive with many 2.1 features. I may hang on in the hope of a true 2.1 sync box successor but I think this update could push me to get one now. It'll make it play decent enough with the new features of my TV and as said I'm ok with max 60fps on PS5/Switch.

I'll probably buy one tonight now after typing that out and putting it in my mind haha.

• 4 weeks later...

You can get the Govee flow pro bars and camera for 52 quid on Amazon at the mo which seems like a steal. I mention it here cos after watching a few reviews, the camera seems to do a pretty decent job at giving an ambilight like effect.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/govee-flow-pro-led-light-bars-with-camera-compatible-with-voice-assistants-for-ps5199-delivered-at-govee-uk-amazon-3805835

That's a good price. Love using light to add mood to gaming. Even when I'm not syncing my games some of my more played have their own profile I've created for them. So dank greens and blue etc with a bit of orange for the Demon's Souls remake and a similar coloured one but with some neon pink for Returnal.

There's a 3rd party PC Hue app that has a camera capture feature that you could run whilst gaming on PS5 and have the camera facing the screen to sync what the PS5 is displaying thus avoiding needing a sync box but I haven't tried it yet. Seems like a similar idea to this. The official Hue PC app doesn't require a camera, it syncs what's on the screen in real time via software, obviously only works with what your PC is displaying. Be interested to see how camera capture compares.

13 hours ago, bobontheway said:

Can’t thank you guys enough for that Govee Immersion kit recommendation. Best £60 I’ve spent in ages!

did you get the one quoted above? - it seems to be for 55" and over Tv's however mine is about a 49" I think - would this be a problem?

59 minutes ago, Parappa said:

did you get the one quoted above? - it seems to be for 55" and over Tv's however mine is about a 49" I think - would this be a problem?

There's another one on Amazon for smaller TVs btw 

4 hours ago, Parappa said:

I got the immersion kit quoted above. 
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093KD3T3B/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_9TPF0T4BENMZKJFATE9C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve got a 55” OLED and the 55/65inch kit just fit. I would not try to fit it on a smaller TV so you’d be best off getting the kit for a smaller TV size if they’re available.

3 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

I got the immersion kit quoted above. 
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093KD3T3B/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_9TPF0T4BENMZKJFATE9C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve got a 55” OLED and the 55/65inch kit just fit. I would not try to fit it on a smaller TV so you’d be best off getting the kit for a smaller TV size if they’re available.

Thanks - they dont seem to do a smaller one sadly so I will just have to get a bigger TV 🤣