Next-Gen Headsets

On 01/12/2020 at 20:26, MattKB said:

Arctis 7x users. On PS5, when you join a party does the game audio drop significantly? It’s like there’s a weird normal default and party chat default that require me to turn the dial right up and when I leave a party? It deafens me. 

Just tried the platinums and this doesn’t do it. Game volume is consistent and then voice is just added at whatever your mix is. 

Is your mix dial on the right earcup set at the midpoint? I haven't tried any group chat yet, but I noticed that in single player, different games seem to have different max volumes, and the right dial will mess with game volume if not at the midpoint.

Ghost of Tsushima gets much, much louder than Miles Morales, for example.

I'm in the market for a new headset. I'm only getting a PS5 for the foreseeable future so I want it to work great with 3D audio, but I can see picking up an XBox eventually for Gamepass so compatibility would be nice.

The previously linked eurogamer article makes it sound like I should just get the 7X

If you'll only be getting the Xbox Series X/S or the PlayStation 5, our recommendations are simple - get the 7X if you're going for an Xbox and the 7P if you're plumping for the PlayStation. If you're planning to get both - even eventually - then the Arctis 7X makes more sense, as it supports both consoles at the same price and the only downside is a slightly larger dongle. 

but then I've seen some posts above about 7X quirks on PS5. Also the product page for the 7P confirms full compatibility with Tempest 3D, but I can't see anything about it on the 7X page. I know it's likely just a marketing thing for the page but I want to make sure before buying as this will primarily be a PS5 headset.

7x definitely works with the tempest audio (it’s basically Sony’s fancy branding of Windows Sonic). It’ll also work with Xbox unlike the 7p. 

The aforementioned volume quirk seems to be a thing with the PS5 and third party headsets, when an active voice channel opens up (ie someone joins your party) the overall volume drops. I’ve ‘sorted’ this by finding the balance of game/voice which stats fixed by slider, and if someone comes in/I join a party, I just increase the overall volume on the headset which aligns it to my usual volume. When all party members leave I reduce it so I don’t blow out my eardrums. 

The downside here might be, if you normally have it set at a very high volume, the ‘new’ party high volume won’t be high enough. But there’s still a master volume slider in the PS OS which by default is at something like 80% so for me, as it stands it’s already too loud at max so I’m fine with it. 

I took delivery of the Arctis 7s yesterday after getting a used pair from Amazon Warehouse for about £65. I've only used them for an hour so far but I'm impressed. They're very comfortable, as advertised - I forgot I was wearing them almost immediately. Sound quality isn't quite as rich as when I'm listening through my stereo headphones via an amp, but that's to be expected, and for gaming they're perfectly fine. Loud enough to my ears as well at about 70% and they connect to the dongle thing instantly.

What I wanted to know is, seeing as I'll be using them predominantly on PC, should I still get the Dolby Atmos headphone license, or is the surround software that comes with them good enough as it is?

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I took delivery of the Arctis 7s yesterday after getting a used pair from Amazon Warehouse for about £65. I've only used them for an hour so far but I'm impressed. They're very comfortable, as advertised - I forgot I was wearing them almost immediately. Sound quality isn't quite as rich as when I'm listening through my stereo headphones via an amp, but that's to be expected, and for gaming they're perfectly fine. Loud enough to my ears as well at about 70% and they connect to the dongle thing instantly.

I am running an older Turtle Beach Ear Force Seven which is very high quality but does get uncomfortable after a while. I hear great things about the Arctis 7 line, and I have  SteelSeries already at home and the wear comfort of that brand is in another league. It feels like the headset is floating above your head so light and comfortable. 

5 hours ago, Crhis said:

Thanks, I'll get a pair of 7X ordered. Just a shame about the colour scheme.

Ordered the 9X in the end, not sure I'll use the bluetooth but they were £119 for a refurb vs £140 new for the 7X.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What I wanted to know is, seeing as I'll be using them predominantly on PC, should I still get the Dolby Atmos headphone license, or is the surround software that comes with them good enough as it is?

I’ve never found any sort of consensus about one virtual surround solution being better than another. There’s a trial for Atmos and DTS X or whatever it’s called on PC, so probably worth giving it a go before shelling out. 

I’m very happy with mine, too. It would be nice if they worked wirelessly with Xbox, but given I saved about £100 over the 7X, I’m happy to use them with an aux cable with Xbox. 

Mrs idiwa surprised me this morning with the 7X for my birthday. See! she does sometimes listen to me. Not tried it out much other than listening to some Mogwai but it sounds lovely, build quality is solid and it feels very comfy on my old man head. 

Please bear with me while I ask what is a really dumb question, but I've never bought a gaming headset before and have always gone with whatever a console has come with.

So I'm wanting to buy a new headset to be used with a PS5 and an Xbox Series S; ideally a headset that will work well with Call of Duty: Warzone and game chat with my friends at the same time. What I've used in the PS4 generation was the single earplug mic and the sound coming out of my TV, but my friends have 'proper' headsets and talk about the advantages in Warzone where you can hear where footsteps are coming from etc.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading and I know that the 7X is a highly regarded headset, but my question is 'Why do i need to pay extra for wireless'? Unless I have an incorrect definition of what a Wired headset is.

Surely a wired headset is one that will plug directly into the 3.5mm jack of the PS5/Series S controller, and if I'm just sitting on the couch playing a game, that wire isn't going to get in the way significantly to the point that it's worth paying so much more for a wireless piece of kit that would cost a lot more and require charging etc? Or is a wired one a headset that would connect to both the console and the headset?

If it is one that just plugs into the controller with a 3.5mm jack, does anyone have any recommendations?

One thing to consider is how you sit with the controller. I find that a lot of wired headsets have a straight jack (rather than a 90 degree one) so it jabs straight into me with the controller resting on my lap. 

May not be a big deal. 

14 minutes ago, MattKB said:

One thing to consider is how you sit with the controller. I find that a lot of wired headsets have a straight jack (rather than a 90 degree one) so it jabs straight into me with the controller resting on my lap. 

May not be a big deal. 

The jack on the PS4 headset is straight and I've never had much of an issue.

Tried having a quick go of Warzone with a pair of average Apple earphones there and it sounded good; and I suspect - though I've not tried it yet - that the mic on the PS5 controller would pick up my voice.

So if it does, would a good pair of wired regular headphones not do the trick?

To be honest a pair of Sony MXs or similar will probably outperform any dedicated gaming headset for pure sound if all you want is something to listen to game audio and you don't care about talking to other people and having a built in mic and the convenience of stuff like wireless compatibility and dedicated game/chat mix control.

I've tried headphones as I thought I'd be able to wear them and then speak into the controller mic, but it's a no go, so I'll need to get a gaming headset.

So are there any good quality wired ones (as presumably they'll be cheaper) that anyone would recommend that give 7.1 audio?

Generally I would always prefer wired headphones over wireless due to better sound quality and that’s what I’ve run the past couple of generations via mix amps and high quality headphones with a mic solution (v moda boom mic last gen with Philips fidelio x2 headphones)

I did try directly in the pad but the sound was crap via a PS4 pad and over time the cables have become annoying so this gen I’ve got a pair of 7x wireless headphones and can still plug my much higher quality setup into the pad if I want to, I have to say the convenience of wireless has won out every time - I find with the lead into my pad it annoys me, not much but enough that I just grab my 7x every time.

Do you have a decent set of headphones @SGMilne you could use this with? https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=O63U4Z43ZUSD&dchild=1&keywords=v+moda+pro+boom&qid=1607704011&sprefix=V+moda%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-3

51 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Why are people with PS5's opting for the 7x rather than the 7p?

As said you can use it on both consoles. The headsets themselves are basically the same, just with different coloured headbands, but only the 7x can be used on the PS5 and the XBX while you're stuck with just PS5 if you opt for the 7P.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

As said you can use it on both consoles. The headsets themselves are basically the same, just with different coloured headbands, but only the 7x can be used on the PS5 and the XBX while you're stuck with just PS5 if you opt for the 7P.

Right I see, Cheers.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

My Arctis 7s are just 7s, seemingly - neither 7x nor 7p. These ones. Are they an older model? Will they not work with the new consoles?

They’re functionally identical to the 7P but have a different looking dongle - I think it’s USB-C so much more convenient to use with Switch. 

The 7X have a switch on the dongle which lets you use the wirelessly with Xbox. 

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

They’re functionally identical to the 7P but have a different looking dongle - I think it’s USB-C so much more convenient to use with Switch. 

The 7X have a switch on the dongle which lets you use the wirelessly with Xbox. 

Yeah I think the 7X has an icon for use with the Switch on its landing page whilst the 7P doesn't. 

For those using 7x on Xbox with DTS or Dolby activated - did you change any settings on the Steelseries app on PC?

Like any EQ settings or best to leave it at "Flat" so there's no clash with Dolby / DTS EQ settings on the Xbox?

Cheers!