IGNORED

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Triple A

• 2 months later...

Very good. I wanted to play this, but I just couldn't justify digging the PS4 out of its cardboard coffin for it.

A PC version would have been nicer, but that can will probably be kicked down the road by another six months. 

I didn't like the cut-up-and-shuffled storytelling, didn't connect with most of the characters, and the less said about the combat the better. But I'm glad I suffered through it as it does tell a great sci-fi story and somehow manages to tie everything up in a very satisfying ending.

Almost the opposite for me (per previous comments in the thread), in that I found it to be a disappointingly poor sci-fi story which just seemed to want to rip-off pay homage to every mainstream sci-fi movie, book and concept the authors were aware of; but I really enjoyed the characters and mixed-up storytelling, enough that I enjoyed and would recommend the game nonetheless. Also, it looks gorgeous.

Full agreement on the combat, mind; as someone who actually enjoys strategy games, the whole thing was half-baked and insultingly easy, even on the 'hard' setting.

A very enjoyable game, just frustrating as it skirts close to greatness but doesn't quite pull it off; doubly frustrating for me as it's blending two of my favourite game genres with my favourite literary genre, so it could have been one of my forever games. Not quite to be, alas.

Again, it's still good, do recommend, and I think the Switch is a good fit for it. Who knows, maybe we'll get a follow-up which lives up to everything it could have been, just like Virtue's Last Reward took the pattern set by 999 and made something incredible from it!

The combat is actually pretty nice once you start to mix-up abilities, but the difficulty rarely demands it, so it's definitely too easy. Even on Hard it barely registers. Then again, if FF Tactics and its ilk are normally insurmountable, this will be pitch perfect.

Loved the story throughout, mostly because it managed to trump whatever I was expecting multiple times with slowly escalating arcs.

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

This is gorgeous on the OLED. Absolutely perfect to curl up with in bed.

It’s going to take a while to not feel overwhelmed with character names though.

Seriously, write them down. :D Or you can do it the hard way and hope your mind sorts itself out, but pen and paper are acceptable. ;)

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Seriously, write them down. :D Or you can do it the hard way and hope your mind sorts itself out, but pen and paper are acceptable. ;)

Very early days…
13EFABC3-B795-4149-88F6-92F206AFCA6C.thumb.png.d0b2ff9bae6b85c82c81365da4d56c80.png

:wacko:

11 hours ago, makkuwata said:

This is gorgeous on the OLED. Absolutely perfect to curl up with in bed.

It’s going to take a while to not feel overwhelmed with character names though.

The in game encyclopedia is actually super useful and updates regularly.

On 14/04/2022 at 07:11, SMD said:

The in game encyclopedia is actually super useful and updates regularly.

Just completed the tutorial and yeah, I think I can calm down with that now. Still nice to have a reference for a few newer names while they’re expositing at each other in battle.

If the talking, wish-granting cat doesn’t get a Sentinel I’m docking points.

• 4 weeks later...