Xbox Series X | S

22 minutes ago, skondo said:

Amazon are expecting deliveries of the new XBox headset (not the B&O one)on Monday. I have been able to place an order today.

Yeah but can you pretend you’re recording the Band Aid single with them?

Got my Xbox wireless headset on Monday, changed the setting to some recommended ones and set up Atmos.

They’re fine, but I can’t tell much difference between these and my old Sony Platinum headset. In fact I got a better sense of surround sound on the platinum ones. Not sure of I need to change the settings again??

Been using them mostly on Destiny 2 and Gears 5.

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Presumably that sort of wizzy architecture needs to be baked into the game so it will be for first part studios to make use of mainly? 

Or is it magic stuff that 'just works' for multiformat? Is this going to give Xbox a big advantage over the competition or does PS5 have something similar in its locker? 

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

No think its at API level (Velocity Architecture) - so it will be specific to the Xbox Series devices.

The Sampler Feedback Streaming tech is DX12U so supported on the PC as well. It's likely one of the hardware features Microsoft delayed production for which Sony don't have in their own chip.

If I were to sell my series x & extra pad what would be a reasonable price on here. Is £450 too much these days?

Im just not using it enough right now and with the sun coming out I keep looking at pizza ovens and think that would be a good swap :lol:

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

If I were to sell my series x & extra pad what would be a reasonable price on here. Is £450 too much these days?

Im just not using it enough right now and with the sun coming out I keep looking at pizza ovens and think that would be a good swap :lol:

They'll be impossible to find come winter time so if you see yourself playing in winter I'd keep it. You won't get fat eating all those pizzas over summer too.... :D

4 minutes ago, MattyP said:

They'll be impossible to find come winter time so if you see yourself playing in winter I'd keep it. You won't get fat eating all those pizzas over summer too.... :D

Why do you say that? Surely supply is only going to increase from here on?

2 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Why do you say that? Surely supply is only going to increase from here on?

Ordinarily, but there's currently a semiconductor shortage due to high demand of common components. You will be able to pick up a console with a bit of perseverance, but I'm not sure they'll be readily available this year.

23 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Pfffft, Xbox’s are a piece of cake to get hold of compared to an Ooni!

Exactly, John Lewis currently have stock though so I’m hovering over the buy button…

10 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Exactly, John Lewis currently have stock though so I’m hovering over the buy button…

Id snap it up or tomorrow I’ll be expecting your series x and PS5 for my ooni ;) 

had to initiate a return to try my luck with a fourth elite series 2 controller, yet another one bites the dust. luckily i didn't wait any longer as i only had a day left on the warranty they gave me on the replacement! got lucky last time too with just a few days left if i remember correctly. customer service were fine once again but starting to lose faith in ever getting a sturdy elite pad

5 hours ago, Ferine said:

Ordinarily, but there's currently a semiconductor shortage due to high demand of common components. You will be able to pick up a console with a bit of perseverance, but I'm not sure they'll be readily available this year.

Exactly this and season demands will go through the roof. You'll get one with perseverance however you'll be fighting bots and well personally I'd rather avoid the stress. Buy a Pizza oven too and sell that at the end of summer. :) That's what I'd do anyway rather than risk been without my favourite toy over winter anyway. 

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Exactly this and season demands will go through the roof. You'll get one with perseverance however you'll be fighting bots and well personally I'd rather avoid the stress. Buy a Pizza oven too and sell that at the end of summer. :) That's what I'd do anyway rather than risk been without my favourite toy over winter anyway. 

Saaaaaay whaaaaaat.... Pizza ovens are for life not just summer!

11 hours ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

had to initiate a return to try my luck with a fourth elite series 2 controller, yet another one bites the dust. luckily i didn't wait any longer as i only had a day left on the warranty they gave me on the replacement! got lucky last time too with just a few days left if i remember correctly. customer service were fine once again but starting to lose faith in ever getting a sturdy elite pad

What’s going wrong with it? 

Not had any problems with mine and now I’m wondering if it’s just that I’ve not noticed. Having 4 go wrong seems like mad bad luck. 

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

What’s going wrong with it? 

Not had any problems with mine and now I’m wondering if it’s just that I’ve not noticed. Having 4 go wrong seems like mad bad luck. 

First one I got had a sticky A button which would get jammed out of the box, returned that to the shop for a replacement and it developed RB problems, sent that off to Microsoft and the one they sent back out the box had a sticky A button also, but that seemed to fix itself so I left it.

Now it has developed the same RB issues; Registering no input or double inputs alot of the time, making it a nightmare for active reload in gears or pinging enemies instead of tagging loot in apex etc. So I've had 3 go wrong and the replacement will be my fourth

I know it's a bit of a niche question but until about an hour ago I was thinking about getting a series s to buy this "Dev mode for but it seems I can use my Series X, buy dev mode, install retroarch and STILL switch to normal mode to play online etc?

Has anyone else done this? Is there limitations / things to consider?

What's so good about Game Pass? I was about to buy a series X as I was under the impression the GP library was packed with great things but looking at the website list and it's not the best of choices. Have I missed something like every 360/original Xbox game is tucked away somewhere? I can't see much that is worth £15 a month?

I'd agree that for £15 a month it's a pretty bad deal, but paying £15 a month would be an odd choice really.

For one thing, that price applies to Gamepass Ultimate, which is the combination of Gamepass for console, Gamepass for PC and Xbox Live Gold. If you're only interested in the games, not online play, and don't want it across console and PC, you'd be better off with plain Gamepass [console or PC], at £8 per month base.

For another, it's far cheaper if you use workarounds to get a better deal - see the first post of the Gamepass topic for details on that. The end result is you can get three years of Gamepass Ultimate for £121, i.e. <£4 per month. That's a somewhat more compelling price point.

Other than that, the main thing to bear in mind is that it's a rotating selection - games are constantly being added and removed from it. So what you see as now is quite different from what it was 4 months ago, or will be in 4 months' time. You can guarantee first-party Microsoft games will go up on it day one (as have e.g. all the Gears and Forza games), though they won't necessarily stay forever (see again the Forza games), which is a significant benefit if you like their games. Meanwhile the third-party stuff is frequently compelling (particularly the indie games - Streets of Rage 4 was a pleasant surprise to see on the service day one, for example) - I generally find it to be a good selection in any given month.

But yeah, it's a rotating subscription service - the upside is you get a lot of new stuff to try regularly, the downside is you don't meaningfully get to keep anything. That's a severe downside, so may reasonably put you off it. I certainly wouldn't pay the base price for it, but at the reduced rate it's more than worth it to me.

Yeah, Microsoft don't make it too straightforward to understand the various forms - they really just want to get everyone on Ultimate! I should probably clarify that most games will generally be on the service for many months before leaving it (and that Microsoft games without licensing issues are permanent fixtures) - it's just that each game is on its own timeframe, and the service has been running long enough now that it means you're getting games leaving every month, as well as new games every week!

You download the games on your console or PC  or steam them to your phone/browser. You keep the save files and can buy the games at a a 20% discount while they are on the service. To be honest each month the games leaving announcements are generally less games than were added and with a few exceptions (MGSV/GTAV/RDR2) are generally the smaller titles that you rarely noticed were there to begin with.

I've  considered cancelling my GP a couple of times as I tend to play very few of the games added to it each month and I already had EA Access which I rarely used. Along with having acquired the majority of first party games on it over the last gen in sales/ Games with Gold etc... However they just keep adding more and when I do get around to trying a selection from it. Even just a couple of smaller indie games works out economically better than if I'd bought them.

Its pretty far from a pay for demos service. Carry on though between getting the price wrong and desperate critique maybe you'll land a genuine concern if you throw enough shite at a wall eventually some of it will stick I guess. Although god knows I've tried over the years but Sony are the Teflon Dons of this game. I admire your tenacity though.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S