Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

I picked up one of these unknown brand SSDs a few months back. Not a valid amount of time really but it's running fine and super cheap. The reviews on Amazon seemed more detailed and useful than most, I think they use Samsung chips so should be a good alternative given the price. 


What ssd did you buy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I got the 1TB version of this one for about 70 quid iirc, was cautious as I'd never heard of the brand before but the reviews were good.


Cheers, £67.99 for 1tb - will wait for prime day but that looks a decent buy! Do you use it in a pc or console with an adapter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shimmyhill said:


Cheers, £67.99 for 1tb - will wait for prime day but that looks a decent buy! Do you use it in a pc or console with an adapter?

It's in my PS4 Pro works perfectly, COD warzone used to have a tonne of pop-in as the textures got loaded up - all gone now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know if these things are powerful enough to do 120fps without serious graphical compromises, but I don't see it being a thing going forward. We're still very much in a 30fps world on consoles, and I don't see the triple AAA studios making the leap to even 60fps if they can get more out of the machines at 30fps. I think 120fps will be restricted to multiplayer modes and simpler games.

 

I wonder what the percentage of users with access to a 120Hz panel is these days? I imagine it must be tiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The jump from 30 to 60 as a standard is sufficient most console players I would say, whilst keeping enough pretties to make them pleasing enough @ 1800p or 4k . Any more than 60 I tend to get violently sick anyway so I'm all for keeping a lid on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Quick question on BC, if I bought a One or One X fed it all my old Xbox (OG) and 360 games, copied them over to an external HDD could I play them on the Series S via the HDD or do I need the disc to validate it?

They'll work exactly the same way they do now on your Xbox One. Digital will just play; physical will need the disc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I view the 120hz stuff as the new 60. They’ll make some noise about it but in reality very few games will hit it or try, but hopefully that will mean 60 is the new low bar. 
 

It’s 2020, I now refuse to play shit at 30fps. I know that sounds silly and pompous but fuck it. I don’t like it so I won’t do it. I don’t think that’s silly really. 
 

60 is my bottom line now and hopefully talk of 120 will make sure it’s hit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isaac said:

 

 

Normal visuals:

JpsOHCm.png

 

Performance mode:

 

image.thumb.png.ad10a78aaba70244f8d6aebcffb75784.png

 

 

 

 

 

Looking at the stands, this is just Covid-19 mode. The XSX will be able to render the crowds fine when there is a vaccine and they're allowed back in.

 

Anyway - the thing about 120 I want to ask is, does it even matter to most people?

It feels like a marketing gimmick to me because it is a statement of raw power - eg double the framerate!!! - but most people won't be able to see it even if the game could run that way? I say this because what I read and understood was that most people's tellies aren't likely to be able to do 120hz. Mine can't anyway, we only bought it last year I think? Even though it does 4k, I didn't know that was a thing. So I just want a solid 4k + 60fps because that's my limit (in theory I could do 1440p at 120 on my computer monitor but I won't be playing xbox in my office).

 

Or am I wrong about what the average person has? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying this is a direct 1:1 comparison but the XSX is most likely as powerful as the below PC being benchmarked. Have they mentioned if developers will have access to all 8 cores of the CPU for gaming?

 

 

A lot of games that you would expect to have really high fidelity as that is important to the experience they will be the ones that we will see more running at 60fps and have more shinies.

 

The online shooters etc, they should have 120fps performance modes. These games are made with high frame rates in mind and the XSX should deliver.

 

Is it a gimmick? Absolutely not if you have tried it, it's so smooth and responsive. Is it a marketing gimmick? Kind of if they are using it to sway people into the console space rather than buy a PC however there will be games running with 120fps and i'm sure it will be the type of games we expect to have it.

 

 

In other news, this is exciting to see (for some).....

 

npgalwgv5ns51.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's  got to be far too early to decide what the new systems are capable of, if you were only able to look at Dead Rising 3 or Battlefield 4 and draw conclusions

about the fidelity of current gen you'd get it wrong, right?

 

Having said that, as noted above I'll be happy to see the end of 30fps.

 

I wonder what Halo Infinite will end up at, it was apparently 120hz, before it got delayed. I wonder if they'll up the shinies and reduce the framerate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cowfields said:

 

Looking at the stands, this is just Covid-19 mode. The XSX will be able to render the crowds fine when there is a vaccine and they're allowed back in.

 

Anyway - the thing about 120 I want to ask is, does it even matter to most people?

It feels like a marketing gimmick to me because it is a statement of raw power - eg double the framerate!!! - but most people won't be able to see it even if the game could run that way? I say this because what I read and understood was that most people's tellies aren't likely to be able to do 120hz. Mine can't anyway, we only bought it last year I think? Even though it does 4k, I didn't know that was a thing. So I just want a solid 4k + 60fps because that's my limit (in theory I could do 1440p at 120 on my computer monitor but I won't be playing xbox in my office).

 

Or am I wrong about what the average person has? 


Too a large extent, it really doesn’t matter what the average person has, these are 4k 120hz capable consoles launching when the majority probably don’t even have 4k. The Xbox 360 launched HD gaming in an SD world. Is people like us early adopters that will drive these things forward.

I’m in day 1 for both consoles as it stands, and game on a 1080p plasma, but the offerings of 120hz, VRR, 4K are all important to me and, just like when the 360 launched and I made the jump to HD Ready 720p, I’ll look forward to a new TV and new features, especially in a couple of years time when the dev teams have got to grips with these things and start pushing them

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Freeman is right, these aren't consoles that are being built to support tech just available at this point in time, they are built to try and last for the next 7-10 years. Remember when everyone went on about it being ridiculous that the Xbox had to be used with broadband, because no-one had that, why couldn't it use dial-up? Or to Freeman's point the PS3 and Xbox 360 launching as HD consoles when the take up of HD was still very low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Freeman said:


Too a large extent, it really doesn’t matter what the average person has, these are 4k 120hz capable consoles launching when the majority probably don’t even have 4k. The Xbox 360 launched HD gaming in an SD world. Is people like us early adopters that will drive these things forward.

 

 

4K TV ownership is a lot higher than most people estimate. 

 

It went from 17% of households in 2017 to 35% in 2019. That will be even higher now. It's still a minority, sure, but it's a pretty significant one. 

 

However I imagine the number of people who own 4K 120hz TVs is minuscule - basically if you bought an OLED in the past 18 months you might  have one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryL85 said:

I'm not saying this is a direct 1:1 comparison but the XSX is most likely as powerful as the below PC being benchmarked. Have they mentioned if developers will have access to all 8 cores of the CPU for gaming?

 

 

 

But those are all current-gen games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wonder what the percentage of users with access to a 120Hz panel is these days? I imagine it must be tiny.

I hadn't even thought of that, my TV almost certainly doesn't do 120 hz. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2017 OLED, which will apparently do 1080p120. But I'm not sure I want 120fps enough to play at 1/4 native resolution. Will obviously give it a go, though.

 

I'll probably see what happens over the next 2 years and if next gen is all about 120fps, I might upgrade to a 4K120 set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I have a 2017 OLED, which will apparently do 1080p120. But I'm not sure I want 120fps enough to play at 1/4 native resolution. Will obviously give it a go, though.

 

I'll probably see what happens over the next 2 years and if next gen is all about 120fps, I might upgrade to a 4K120 set.

But can it do it via HDMI? I've got a sneaking suspicion that my LG C8 can do 120FPS but only via the built in apps, not via HDMI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

But can it do it via HDMI? I've got a sneaking suspicion that my LG C8 can do 120FPS but only via the built in apps, not via HDMI.

They can do it over HDMI. The reason for the resolution restriction is the reduced bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 can’t do 4K at that framerate. Internal sources should do 4K120 fine.
 

 

9 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

Xbox Series X unboxing.

 

I was just looking at the pile of boxes and thinking it must be hard to resist pinching one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else with a Series S pre-order starting to get concern about the lack of info on the little brother of the Series X?  Obviously the power of the X is going to make for much more interesting reading, but given the fact the price of the S makes it a much easier entry point, i would've thought they'd want to be getting word out there about just how good it is.  It features prominently in the recent advert, but hasn't had any 'hands on' type publicity like the X has.  I would've thought they'd want to be wow-ing people with the next-gen performance on 1080p TV's by now.

 

Series X has clearly had the most exposure, but it now feels like the PS5 is more advanced in its push than the series S, and that's saying something.  When do we think we'll get more on it?  The more they hold it back, the more I'm concerned my pre-order is for a dud...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impressed by that Digital Foundry video at all. I know it isn't the final build, but dynamic resolution and obvious screen tearing? I hope at least screen tearing is gone in the final game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sixkiller said:

Anyone else with a Series S pre-order starting to get concern about the lack of info on the little brother of the Series X?  Obviously the power of the X is going to make for much more interesting reading, but given the fact the price of the S makes it a much easier entry point, i would've thought they'd want to be getting word out there about just how good it is.  It features prominently in the recent advert, but hasn't had any 'hands on' type publicity like the X has.  I would've thought they'd want to be wow-ing people with the next-gen performance on 1080p TV's by now.

 

Series X has clearly had the most exposure, but it now feels like the PS5 is more advanced in its push than the series S, and that's saying something.  When do we think we'll get more on it?  The more they hold it back, the more I'm concerned my pre-order is for a dud...


 

I’ve said it before, but I don’t think the S is a 1080p console. The X is a native 4K console and the S is a scaled 4K console. There’s very reason to waste power rendering at 1440p - a resolution almost no console gamers have a display for - unless you want to scale to 4K. 1440p looks way better scaled to that resolution than 1080p does. 
 

I think any reluctance to show the S is because they will probably look very similar in terms of overall image quality, especially on a compressed YouTube video. 
 

The YouTube channel This Is had a Q&A and said the comparisons are definitely coming “soon,” as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

120fps at 1440p seems a good compromise to me.   Everybody was saying it's the perfect resolution and here we are being shown 120fps on it.   Bring it on.  Hopefully more games give us the options to prioritise fps, res or shinies.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.