IGNORED

Tunic

Unofficial Who

I’m quite enjoying this so far. I really, really like the conceit of the manual, and I sort of wish that I’d been a SNES boy growing up rather than a Megadrive / Amiga boy, because I’ve never really been into Zelda, and the game is basically Your Memories of Zelda: The Game. I can only imagine how much fun this would be if you’d spent your youth struggling through import SNES games, trying to decrypt the in-game text and the manual which is all in foreign. 

As it is, I’m appreciating the game more than I’m enjoying it. The visuals are very nice - love the way light plays off the surface of water and the way it filters through trees - and the structure and the use of the manual is incredibly clever, but I’m not enjoying the actual Zelda bit as much. 

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Next question!

I've now got 5 of the "things" from the Hero's Grave warps, the only one I haven't got is top left/11 o'clock as you look at them arranged around the central statue/pillar when you warp to them. So there's another hero's grave somewhere that I've not found (or not been back to since getting the you know what power) but I've no idea where it is. Any clues?

Once I've got that, next on the agenda is finding the last few missing pages.

I can’t remember which one that is off the top of my head, but the hero’s grave locations are:

Spoiler

East Forest

Eastern Vault

West Garden

The Monastery

The Great Library

The Cathedral

I wish I’d taken note of them as I first discovered them, because it comes in so handy for later. 

20 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oof I’m bouncing hard off the last boss. What a spike!

Any tips for effective loadouts?

The manual mentions the best way to… overcome… the last boss. I won’t say anymore!

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Next question!

I've now got 5 of the "things" from the Hero's Grave warps, the only one I haven't got is top left/11 o'clock as you look at them arranged around the central statue/pillar when you warp to them. So there's another hero's grave somewhere that I've not found (or not been back to since getting the you know what power) but I've no idea where it is. Any clues?

Once I've got that, next on the agenda is finding the last few missing pages.

I think that one is in the same place as where you found a certain item that helps you to breathe in noxious environments. You have to find the path to get it to it, however, now that you can't go the way you would have gone originally...

40 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oof I’m bouncing hard off the last boss. What a spike!

Any tips for effective loadouts?

The best loadout is knowledge. Complete some more puzzles and share your wisdom!

Right, that’s all the hero’s grave goodies found. The one I was missing was in the monastery, I had assumed that since the quarry was

Spoiler

no longer accessible

then there wouldn’t be one there, but I’d forgotten there was another way in!

And then I must confess I resorted to a guide to help me find literally the last three pages of the manual. Which I’d never have found without looking them up, to be honest, and the last of which I still haven’t, because…

Spoiler

Secret fairies?!?!

• 3 weeks later...

Is this game so good that I should buy it on my steam deck instead of streaming it through xcloud? 

It seems perfectly playable on gamepass streaming but the resolution isn’t the highest and colours are a bit washed out.

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

Is this game so good that I should buy it on my steam deck instead of streaming it through xcloud? 

It seems perfectly playable on gamepass streaming but the resolution isn’t the highest and colours are a bit washed out.

Alternatively: yes!

Although it does seem to be quite divisive, so YMMV. Maybe playing it for a couple of hours first on Game Pass to see if you like it. I thought you could play Game Pass games natively on the Deck, anyway?

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

. I thought you could play Game Pass games natively on the Deck, anyway?

You can but that means installing windows on it and currently you can’t duel boot so it would mean wiping steam off it. To the best of my knowledge, anyway.

I so want to play this - the zelda side of things is right up my alley but i've heard the combat can be quite frustating and some of the puzzles can be too?

Is there much back tracking?

28 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

I so want to play this - the zelda side of things is right up my alley but i've heard the combat can be quite frustating and some of the puzzles can be too?

It has a no death option - towards the end the demands of the game begin to exceed the capabilities of the combat system (it’s my only criticism) and you might want to turn it on, which means you can get back to the good stuff much faster. 

49 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

Just bear it mind that the game only looks like Zelda; really, it's quite different. And there is back-tracking in that you return to a central hub area, before finding your way to the next zone (like Zelda, admittedly).

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

I find some of the puzzles incredibly obtuse, even after reading the answer I still don't understand how you arrive there. 

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

The puzzles start off ok, but by the end you’re in full on pretentious Fish/Blow territory

Having just re-played Fez after finishing Tunic, some of the puzzles in that game are far, far more obscure than in this one, like having to translate morse code. Testament to this is the fact that Fez's biggest puzzle people have had to find the answer to via brute force; we still don't know why the solution to that puzzle is what it is. I think Tunic does a really good job of providing enough titbits to help you figure out everything for yourself, more so than Fez, in fact, where the logical and (literal) perspective jumps you have to make are a lot bigger. In Tunic, it's literally all in the manual!

The only thing I couldn't make head nor tail of what the language - Fez does this better, I think. They're both excellent games, however. The Witness, too.

I’m playing this atm, and it’s a very frustrating game imo. I really try to look for the best in pretty much any game I play but I’m finding the combat in this to be incredibly annoying. 

i’m a fair bit through it, post 3 stones at the 

Spoiler

Cathedral boss rush

and the character action combat sometimes feels kind of, horrible! The walking speed with raised shield is so slow, making any kind of reach of distance closing to enemies super annoying. As is the recharge penalty when you’re out of stamina. I can’t help but feel it would all be so much better if it was literally just like Dark Souls 😂 

This and Death’s Door are complete opposite’s, DD has amazingly snappy combat with lukewarm level design and adventuring where as this has incredible level design and an amazing sense of adventure with really stiff and sluggish combat (which there’s loads of, and it’s fucking hard too)

I might be missing a truck here? 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I’m playing this atm, and it’s a very frustrating game imo. I really try to look for the best in pretty much any game I play but I’m finding the combat in this to be incredibly annoying. 

Hide contents

Cathedral boss rush

and the character action combat sometimes feels kind of, horrible! The walking speed with raised shield is so slow, making any kind of reach of distance closing to enemies super annoying. As is the recharge penalty when you’re out of stamina. I can’t help but feel it would all be so much better if it was literally just like Dark Souls 😂 

This and Death’s Door are complete opposite’s, DD has amazingly snappy combat with lukewarm level design and adventuring where as this has incredible level design and an amazing sense of adventure with really stiff and sluggish combat (which there’s loads of, and it’s fucking hard too)

Banish all the combat by disabling stamina or even going no fail. Then you can eliminate that frustration and enjoy what is great about this game.

13 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Banish all the combat by disabling stamina or even going no fail. Then you can eliminate that frustration and enjoy what is great about this game.

I actually just got past the bit in question by just utilising everything I had, I threw as many bombs as possible and did it pretty easily. 

Im the kind of person that enjoys pushing through the challenge, but this is good to know! I had no idea you could turn these things off! Stamina gauge is particularly a bit annoying and maybe a step too far. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hide contents

Cathedral boss rush

This bit is probably the worst point in the game and the section where I think I turned invincibility mode on. Once you're through it then you can get into the proper meat of the game, which is all the puzzles. That's when it becomes GOTY material, or it did for me, at least.

I finished this earlier, and while the combat is definitely the weakest thing about it, I never felt the need to disable stamina or enable the no fail mode. Even that bit in the Cathedral just needed a bit of strategy, mainly in regards to the tools you use for each bout and the order you do them in.

Where the combat is merely average the puzzles in the game are astoundingly good. I have to admit feeling like an absolute genius when I finally figured out the Golden Path. Some of the environmental puzzles are really superb as well.

I completed the manual, and found most but not all of the secrets, but I completely failed to translate more than a few "words" of the language. I think I can recognise the key in the manual but I've stared at it for a while and nothing is coming, so I might have to admit defeat there. Fair play to any who managed to figure that out.

A game that started off well, had a definite lull in the middle, and by the end had me shaking my head in admiration at the ingenuity of the designers.

45 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I finished this earlier, and while the combat is definitely the weakest thing about it, I never felt the need to disable stamina or enable the no fail mode. Even that bit in the Cathedral just needed a bit of strategy, mainly in regards to the tools you use for each bout and the order you do them in.

Where the combat is merely average the puzzles in the game are astoundingly good. I have to admit feeling like an absolute genius when I finally figured out the Golden Path. Some of the environmental puzzles are really superb as well.

I completed the manual, and found most but not all of the secrets, but I completely failed to translate more than a few "words" of the language. I think I can recognise the key in the manual but I've stared at it for a while and nothing is coming, so I might have to admit defeat there. Fair play to any who managed to figure that out.

A game that started off well, had a definite lull in the middle, and by the end had me shaking my head in admiration at the ingenuity of the designers.

The alphabet is really quite obscure, more so than Fez, even, so don't worry about it. Thankfully, you don't need to know it for any of the puzzles, except one or two of the optional ones.

Did you get the 

Spoiler

good ending?

Seeing this topic being bumped reminded me that I had meant to check it out. Glad I did :)

I'm about 8 hours in but life is too short so switched on the no stamina for now. I'm completely lost in where I have to go or what to do next (not a bad thing) and loving it

I've only beaten 1 boss (I think)

Spoiler

The Garden One

I know I've got a long way to go from skimming this thread

Spoiler

Picked up the lamp, the shield, the grapple and the fire wand.

Spent most of the time re-visiting the starting areas with the grapple to see what's new and I think I've unlocked a couple of new areas but I forget what they are lol (The Library?).

Oh, also opened up the big golden doors but didn't go far after entering

I'll probably need to start using a guide soon. I do like these games but on good days I struggle with the puzzles so playing this with covid is definitely challenging me!

Also love the manual! Nice piece of game design/mechanic

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The alphabet is really quite obscure, more so than Fez, even, so don't worry about it. Thankfully, you don't need to know it for any of the puzzles, except one or two of the optional ones.

Did you get the 

Reveal hidden contents

good ending?

Spoiler

I think so, I'd completed the manual so there were some tears and then a happy reunion, and we wall went out for ice cream. If and when I replay it I might try the less peaceful ending.

11 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Seeing this topic being bumped reminded me that I had meant to check it out. Glad I did :)

I'm about 8 hours in but life is too short so switched on the no stamina for now. I'm completely lost in where I have to go or what to do next (not a bad thing) and loving it

I've only beaten 1 boss (I think)

Reveal hidden contents

The Garden One

I know I've got a long way to go from skimming this thread

Hide contents

Picked up the lamp, the shield, the grapple and the fire wand.

Spent most of the time re-visiting the starting areas with the grapple to see what's new and I think I've unlocked a couple of new areas but I forget what they are lol (The Library?).

Oh, also opened up the big golden doors but didn't go far after entering

I'll probably need to start using a guide soon. I do like these games but on good days I struggle with the puzzles so playing this with covid is definitely challenging me!

Also love the manual! Nice piece of game design/mechanic

Keep exploring! Pick one of the cardinal directions and see how far you can get before you have to turn back. You won't need a guide for a good while yet.

On 09/07/2022 at 18:26, Jamie John said:

Keep exploring! Pick one of the cardinal directions and see how far you can get before you have to turn back. You won't need a guide for a good while yet.

Didn't realise how far into the game I was...and now done lol

Spoiler

Only needed a guide to remind me where the Hero's Graves were and I got the bad ending 😕 

Not too bothered. Still had 10 pages to collect but couldn't be arsed going looking for them. Really enjoyed and may come back to it at some point to mop up what's left

Finished. 

I found the last boss to be even more infuriating than the final boss rush of Death's Door and even WAY harder than anything in Elden Ring :lol:

It does appear to be that the key to the combat in this is to use all the items available to you, including the buff-cards. But you soon run out of supplies. 

I beat the last boss, but doubt that's the final ending and not fussed to collect everything as the game is left in not much of a fun state to actually navagate and find everything :lol:

It's been a while where I've played a game with such a focus on combat, yet the actual character action side of things is so slow and sluggish but the game still throws absolutely everything at you. 

The art is absolutely stunning, as is the environment navigation (I'd not really call it puzzling) but for me, the core of the game is really quite lackluster and not all that fun at all. I literally can not believe the super high-scoring reviews for this one. EDGE 8 LOL.

I also don't really get the review's that claim this is a love letter to Zelda. It is on the surface making very obvious nods to Zelda but it's absolutely nothing like those game - and not as good as literally any of the main-line Zelda games :lol: - and I found it far more strongly influenced by the likes of Dark Souls or Fez, and also not as good as any Souls game or Fez. 

...but it is absolutely beautiful, so clap, clap, clap we go!