IGNORED

PSP Battery

buizel

Where do I find a PSP battery that actually holds charge ?

I bought 2 shit ones from eBay and they

1. Dont really hold a charge

2. Randomly move out the holding, powering off the PSP

3. Fiddly to get the charger to even charge it.

Anyone had sucess? I got 5 PSP's and 1 official battery.

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I can’t help as I’m in the same position - so hopefully someone knows.

I’ve ordered 2 Insten batteries from eBay, but not holding much hope when they arrive.

Mines were cheap from ebay, but i saw ones on amazon about £15 and reviews vary as well. Some say crap, some say 2-4 hours.

22 hours ago, buizel said:

Mines were cheap from ebay, but i saw ones on amazon about £15 and reviews vary as well. Some say crap, some say 2-4 hours.

I’ve ordered the £13 battery from Amazon - for PSP 1000.

My original battery is holding up quite well to be honest, having not been used for well over 10 years.

I got this one last October:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DFH1SVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been great, decent capacity, holds charge about as well as I remember the official ones did. And sleep mode works 100% now (the previous third party battery I had would shut down the system down in sleep mode sometimes even on full charge). It's probably as good as you can get.

I wouldn't 100% trust amazon third party sellers to be selling that specific pictured battery if I needed to get hold of another one though...

EDIT: The previous one I had was one of the Ostent ones. It didn't fit properly in my PSP3000, had the sleep mode issue and didn't hold much charge but it sort of worked...

• 1 year later...
On 27/08/2020 at 15:08, Droo said:

More importantly!

i checked both mine this week and both were expanded. 

if any of you own a PSP best check them. 

Just found my old PSP in its case - battery literally popped out the back as soon as I took it out. I couldn't work it out why it wouldn't go back in, and then you see it doesn't fit

Glad I read this thread - looks like getting another battery is a pointless exercise. 

I can't remember if this thing will just work off the mains, or if it needs the battery inserted to work?

Just checked my PSP3000 and the official battery seems fine. I have a 1000 as well but that's somewhere in the clutter so will check it out.

It's always frustrating buying these sorts of things as they're often cheap and nasty. Had the same issue with GC/Wii AV cables that would claim to be RGB but weren't. I bought three of the damn things from eBay before giving up.

On 31/10/2021 at 14:26, englishbob said:

Just found my old PSP in its case - battery literally popped out the back as soon as I took it out. I couldn't work it out why it wouldn't go back in, and then you see it doesn't fit

Glad I read this thread - looks like getting another battery is a pointless exercise. 

I can't remember if this thing will just work off the mains, or if it needs the battery inserted to work?

Yeah they'll run from mains, just checked it on mine. My battery seems to be ok expansion-wise, doesn't hold a great charge though.

On 01/11/2021 at 21:16, Adrock said:

I have a sealed official extra capacity battery. Any milage in that being in a decent condition?

I think it should be OK. They expand when they're left in the console for long periods of time, so if it's never been put in one it should be OK as far as I'm aware.

Li-ion batteries start to degrade as soon as they leave the factory, at a rate depending on how they've been stored. At this late stage I think that's going to have a significant effect on how good the battery is. Lots of sealed, unused batteries from that era are going to be DOA.

For the amount I've spent on replacement PSP batteries Vs the hassle and the faults and the knock offs received , I'd give up.  On Facebook marketplace near me there are 2 people selling Vita's for 60 quid.  Get that, mod it, whack your PSP collection on it and play on DAT SCREEEEEN , it's a better long term solution.

On 03/11/2021 at 17:40, dumpster said:

For the amount I've spent on replacement PSP batteries Vs the hassle and the faults and the knock offs received , I'd give up.  On Facebook marketplace near me there are 2 people selling Vita's for 60 quid.  Get that, mod it, whack your PSP collection on it and play on DAT SCREEEEEN , it's a better long term solution.

Is Vita battery substantially stronger and better at holding charge down the line?

On 03/11/2021 at 07:42, Alex W. said:

Li-ion batteries start to degrade as soon as they leave the factory, at a rate depending on how they've been stored. At this late stage I think that's going to have a significant effect on how good the battery is. Lots of sealed, unused batteries from that era are going to be DOA.

I bought a whole load of still sealed pap 3000’s a couple years back, every single one had an expanded, knackered battery, straight out the box!

I kept one for myself, as a display piece, still sealed of course 😂

I find the knock off batteries are on, but not great, but at this point in time, there really isn’t much you can do about it I’m afraid, other than stick a portable usb charger on the back on the console and then buy a usb charging cable 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, buizel said:

Is Vita battery substantially stronger and better at holding charge down the line?

Don't know, but it's proven that PSP batteries expand and we know there are loads of terrible 3rd party ones.  Never had an issue with the Vita, and a modded Vita has so many benefits over the PSP. The Vita (and now the Xbox Series) seem to be the best way to play PSP games.