rllmuk
Clipper

Commissioning Mini painting

I need to start this out with an apology. I cannot paint minis - I am hamfisted and rubbish.

I don't usually mind playing games with plain unpainted minis but there is a project on kickstarter that means a little bit more to me.

Night of the Living Dead is one of my favourite films by one of my favourite directors. The black and white original just feels that much more bleak and hopeless purely due to those black and white visuals.

The boardgame seems to true to the film in many ways with the gameplay and scenarios but obviously the minis are unpainted. They look fantastic with great moulding to make them look true to the film with the main characters and the iconic "featured zombies" from the film.

What I would like is for my minis to be painted purely in black and white shades to match the original film and match the original zombies and main characters. It is a tough ask because the zombies had lots of plain makeup (for instance the makeup on "I'm coming to get you Barbara" zombie is just iconic) which would need to be replicated and the humans would all need to be done "just so" as well.

Can you commission mini painters? Is the above request an impossible commission to replicate the look of the film characters and zombies and reflect them in the minis? Where would I go to find such artists.

And finally I am very aware this is likely to be cripplingly expensive so might need to be done over a long period a few minis at a time (maybe 1 year). Is this too much of an ask?

• Upvote 1

Excellent, that is a good starting point thankyou and gives me an idea of price (gulp). I see some fantastic work when I search but mostly in lots of colour... I am looking for someone with a knack for monochromatic black and white shading work instead of the typical fantasy style. But I am guessing there are mini painters who do such things as well as the fantasy colourful work.

Just need to research further I guess - just glad to see there are artists out there that can be commissioned!

Excellent tips though thanks.

There are a few painters who do commission painting on this forum. The Oidut studio is cheap. and the work reflects that.

As a commission painter who focuses on display models, vehicles, large mosnters etc, i feel i can give this advice without looking like im pitching for the work as i'd not take the commission as its out of my range.

Every hobbyist painter is seemingly a commission painter. You DO get what you pay for. for example if i were to paint a 20cm high model robot, you're looking at 400-600 quid. I have taken a commission in the past for a warship diorama for a grand. £13 a small model? where the profit margin there for them? unless they're slapping paint on and moving on.

Honestly? i'd be sending our very own @Cocky a message. and paying him whatever his rate is. if you're them done properly.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Nicky said:

There are a few painters who do commission painting on this forum. The Oidut studio is cheap. and the work reflects that.

As a commission painter who focuses on display models, vehicles, large mosnters etc, i feel i can give this advice without looking like im pitching for the work as i'd not take the commission as its out of my range.

Every hobbyist painter is seemingly a commission painter. You DO get what you pay for. for example if i were to paint a 20cm high model robot, you're looking at 400-600 quid. I have taken a commission in the past for a warship diorama for a grand. £13 a small model? where the profit margin there for them? unless they're slapping paint on and moving on.

Honestly? i'd be sending our very own @Cocky a message. and paying him whatever his rate is. if you're them done properly.

Yeah, I'd imagine Cocky could do a wonderful job on them. 

Despite me doing commissions, it's not my field of painting expertise either unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Again thanks for the info... useful to know there are alot of options out there and yes I am obviously looking for a high end finish... there are 66 minis so it will bankrupt me but Im willing to give it a go piecemeal for as long as it takes.

The Kickstarter doesnt deliver til october so I have time to put some emails together etc and work out a plan for the set. I will contact Cocky but why is this work "out of your range" just out of interest - is it because you don't do minis? or you don't do black and white work? just useful to know the different sorts of commission artists. (same question for Joek) in this realm.

I find having to paint in specific styles to meet specific requirements difficult, truth be told. I've kind of painted my way for the best part of...erm...christ, a long long time and I guess people ask me to paint for them because they like the way I do things.

It's why I try and avoid painting stuff like NMM - I've done it and absolutely hated doing it because I much prefer painting in real metals and I think it just looks better on figures (but that's a very personal opinion)! 

But also I guess it's the sheer amount of figures to do - and especially over a longer time period. Getting the consistency to do that would be especially difficult for me, as I have a serious failure in writing down anything remotely similar to recipes and 'how-to's ' most of the time :P 

• Upvote 1

appreciate the feedback - I did not consider the long period of time being harder - is it best I save up till I can afford to do all 66 as a job lot? Or are there painters who can do that sort of consistency over the longer period.

I am guessing the answer to this is now going to be "it depends on the painter you find" :D

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

appreciate the feedback - I did not consider the long period of time being harder - is it best I save up till I can afford to do all 66 as a job lot? Or are there painters who can do that sort of consistency over the longer period.

I am guessing the answer to this is now going to be "it depends on the painter you find" :D

I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who can do these things, for sure. 

I think there would be plenty of folk who’d like a go at painting those figures.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

yeah some will want a deposit for the job, a material cost. and some will want paid in batches. when every 10 or so models will be done. others will take half up front and half upon  completion.  I do the half and half method as opposed to an hourly rate.

I could do it!

Except I'm in the US which creates issues with customs charges as well as the added cost of international shipping.

You might want to check out https://stonecoldlead.webs.com/ 

I can't personally vouch for him but he's been around for years and does box art work so has the skills you're after.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cocky said:

You might want to check out https://stonecoldlead.webs.com/ 

I can't personally vouch for him but he's been around for years and does box art work so has the skills you're after.

I’m pretty sure he used to post on Frothers. That’s another avenue you could look at @Clipper  find some mini forums and post a request there. I only really know Frothers, which has become a mere shadow of its former self and Random Platypus which I think was supposed to be a successor but never really took off. 

From those forums I know of StoneColdLead, mentioned above and also RedZed and  Roy Duffy. Both seem to still be active. There must be others I have forgotten.

I’ve also come across lil legends and Gray Green on my various trips around the web following miniatures.

I can’t vouch for anyone in particular I am afraid I am mainly a lurker in this world. Waiting for when I have the time to paint (but working 50-60 hours a week and three small children, I don’t know when that will be :().

• Upvote 1

Yep @Doctor Shark but i only really focus on monster and vehicle category models. so not troops. painting troops kills my enthusiasm for painting beyond singular models

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I’ve also come across lil legends and Gray Green on my various trips around the web following miniatures.

Myles (Lil Legend Studio) is who I take lessons from, he’s a good guys & constantly working.  He regrets calling himself that, but he’s stuck with it now.  It won’t be cheap, but he’d probably be glad to have something that isn’t GW turn up in his inbox.

I've pmd you, @Clipper, but I'd do it. I haven't done a lot of commissions in the past, but I'm setting myself up to do them. I've painted loads of board game minis, and even painted in black and white in the past.  I think it's a cool idea to paint them in a monochrome, black and white movie theme. The only issue might be making sure they look finished and not like those grey plastic armies you see! I think I know roughly how I'd do it, lots of shadows and exaggerated highlights. 

• Upvote 1

I have replied in kind - thankyou feltmonkey. I can see the concern over them looking too grey :D I have sent some reference images and stuff. Note that the kickstarter doesn't deliver til October, this thread was me dipping my toes in water - didn't realise it was such a fertile area of the forum so I have plenty to think about - so thanks for all the help everyone!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I've pmd you, @Clipper, but I'd do it. I haven't done a lot of commissions in the past, but I'm setting myself up to do them. I've painted loads of board game minis, and even painted in black and white in the past.  I think it's a cool idea to paint them in a monochrome, black and white movie theme. The only issue might be making sure they look finished and not like those grey plastic armies you see! I think I know roughly how I'd do it, lots of shadows and exaggerated highlights. 

My only advice would be to add a little green into the mixes. If you watch Dawn of the Dead, the colours (or lack thereof) are not pure greys and blacks, there's other stuff in there due to the continuing degradation of the film over time - and that's where you get that extra bit of realism in the thing as opposed to doing everything in 'just' black with various additions of white in there :) 

• Upvote 2