rllmuk

So, Fall Guys has a release date - the 4th August. I have absolutely no idea if this will be any good or not, but a lot about it appeals to me. It's bright, colourful - looks as though it's got questionable physics and doesn't really require any sort of skill outside of persistence so it's not something that I'm going to be automatically terrible at as I close on my 40th year.

... it basically seems to be some sort of obstacle course game for 60 people based loosely on those questionably safe Japanese game shows where you need to cross a bridge while they fire a sandblasters at you from all directions. If you fail to make the course, you're out and everyone else proceeds to the next round, until there's only one player remaining.

On top of all this, it features digital dress-up and is only £16 on the Steam store, which is about the amount of money I'm willing to risk on something like this on the off-chance I periodically have a bit of fun with it. If it was coming out at £44.99, I might feel a little different, but depending on how well the thing controls, this could be a lot of fun.

• Upvote 8

I think it looks cool. Like you say, how it controls will be really important (at least, for determining my interest), but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I like the idea that it's a battle royale that isn't based on battling.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Very disappointed at the lack of Colt Seavers.

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't secure his likeness for the game, but it's clearly very closely based on the original source material.

• Upvote 5

It's not like Lee Majors is doing anything these days either*

*I have no idea if Lee Majors is still alive. And this joke is now played out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

thanks for the heads up - just been watching the developer video and its a digital crack title like Rocket League. Good times!

Link please?

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

*I have no idea if Lee Majors is still alive. And this joke is now played out.

I might run a joke into the ground,

I might roll a brand new car...

• Upvote 3

I was a Senior Producer on this game! Left Mediatonic last year, nice to see its come on well since then! 

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

they fire a sandblasters at you from all directions.

:lol:

Yeah, I think this game looks superb!

The NDA lifted this weekend, so I'm now able to talk about my experience with the closed beta. They've been running a proper beta too - limited periods, RSVP for numbers, the works.

I guess when you've got a game where 60 people are bumping into and climbing all over one another, you need to make sure it's solid. I've only seen the server fall over once in about 10 hours, which isn't too bad.

So anyway, the game.

The first thing I'd like to say is that the controls feel really solid. I'm not going to say Nintendo Platformer, but 90% of the way there. On an Xbone pad, it feels precise and weighty without being sluggish.

There are moments were you do feel out of control, but these are the points where everyone is crashing through a gate and you get swept along by the crowd. I don't think it's a huge, problem, it's just the game. Because of the loss of control it can feel a bit bullshit if you're swept over an edge into a worse path by the writing morass of sausage people.

The rounds tend to come in three types: -

Races - a point to point dash across an obstacle course where only the top X number of players across the line will go through to the next round. Some races require a modicum of co-operation, such as trying to race across a series of see-saws. The fastest way ends up being swamped, the saw flips too far and everyone gets flipped off!

Survival - there's some perilous environment and you mustn't fall foul of it. The last X remaining people will go through.

Team - the players are divided into teams and your outfit is colour coded. You then compete and the lowest scoring team is eliminated as a whole. Games range from football through to a crazy Hungry Hungry Hippos-esque object hording game, where you can raid other teams stockpile.

There are no Comms, so team tactics seem to just evolve spontaneously.

All in all, the game feels pretty great to play - there's a sense of total and utter chaos to it, and it never goes on so long that you feel annoyed when you get knocked out. In game currency gets handed out even if you lose th first round, but you get more and more the longer you're in.

No information on how much cosmetics will cost yet, though.

All in all, I think if the game looks even vaguely interesting to you, I'd pick it up. It's exactly what it looks like, controls solidly, and is clearly put together with a lot of love.

• Upvote 7

Thanks for that @Lying Cat! I watched a couple of streamers play this today (was desperate for a code but sadly missed out :() and it looked so damn fun! I can't wait to try it out.

• Upvote 2

Played an absolute ton of this over the beta weekend, absolutely hilarious and insta-bought.
A few drinks and a party with like minded mates and it's lodged itself as a firm favourite and some of the funniest play sessions I've ever had.
Even solo it's still wonderful and utterly charming, really just genuinely a joy to play.
Utterly brilliant.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2020 at 21:41, jon_cybernet said:

I was a Senior Producer on this game! Left Mediatonic last year, nice to see its come on well since then! 

What does a (senior) producer do on game dev/production?

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

What does a (senior) producer do on game dev/production?

Mostly budgeting, planning, leading the team, dealing with inter-personal relationships, and really being prepared to do anything it takes to keep the ball rolling - you’re basically the Coach, Quarterback and Cheerleader all rolled into one. 

On Fall Guys I spent a lot of time discussing the controls with the team, talking about how tight the controls on Nintendo platformers are, we spent a lot of time thinking about the backstory (last year we’d decided it was essentially the outer space version of Gladiators, filmed in the intergalactic equivalent of the Birmingham NEC, but I’m not sure if any of that made the actual game). I was also really keen on having a dive button in the game, which was definitely there when I left, but I don’t know if it’s still in there now. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

Iwas also really keen on having a dive button in the game, which was definitely there when I left, but I don’t know if it’s still in there now. 

Your legacy remains intact and is something I use in almost every match.

Been playing the beta for a good 5 hours or so now. Its a great game - mix of mario, monkey ball and mario party really!

Love the music too, that's probably the monkey ball side of things.

I kinda wish there was a solo mode rather than the team battles that can be more luck than anything though. I think i will buy this on the PC on launch.

I've played a few hours on PC and those same games came to mind. The games alone are not amazing, it's like a bunch of good Mario Party mini games but having 60 players just adds this whole new fun dimension to those types of party games. I think the Monkey Ball comparison comes from the look of the arenas, the music and that really clean/simple/polished presentation.

It's frustrating but in quite a fun way, you can be really unlucky and get knocked back a fair bit but you can also be lucky and be knocked forward too. That's not to say this is entirely a skill-less game, it's around 70% skill, 30% luck which for me is fine. If I had one reservation it's that the jumping feels a bit floaty (sackboy) 

Yeah I agree with the solo stuff being better than team based games. I'm sure they will eventually separate solo/team games in separate competitions  as another option. The 'Fortnite' aspect of this game is quite exciting, they can just keep adding these small games in and maybe even remove ones that are clearly not favorites. 

There is something special about this game, even if it isn't critically acclaimed I think this is destined to become a cultural hit for some time.

I want this for the PS4 but don't have PS+, wondering if it's cheaper just to buy the thing rather than subscribe. Though I won't be able to play it without PS+ right?

50 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I want this for the PS4 but don't have PS+, wondering if it's cheaper just to buy the thing rather than subscribe. Though I won't be able to play it without PS+ right?

Yep. IIRC, only F2P games are exempt from the PS+ requirement. EA's Rocket Arena would suffer the same problem (in being a modestly priced multiplayer-based title).

Is this 'It's a Knockout the video game'? It looks very cutesy and at first a little too much so for me, but then I thought it actually looks like a Battle Royale I'd actually like. One that fits with the BR setup perfectly imo.

I bought PUBG long ago and enjoyed a few games but then left it alone. This is more my daft side type of game. Hopefully.

I think this is exactly the sort of daft, low stakes crazy the BR genre needs.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Flub said:

I think this is exactly the sort of daft, low stakes crazy the BR genre needs.

Yeah it's a really nice alternative, non of this slowly entering the arena and building up resources. It's just action from the go, from one game to the next. I'm sure this has been done many times  before but I think this one is destined to become the first popular 'casual'  battle royale game.

2 hours ago, amc said:

Is this 'It's a Knockout the video game'?

Yeah its like Takeshi's castle meets the minons - but so much fun ive been playing along with my two little ones all day today and we have been having a great laugh on it - so for me will be an intsant buy (on steam then using the steam link to stream to the tv) 

Just got into the beta weekend and it’s an insta buy now - little one Was hooked and I can just see this being a load of fun for even folk spectating. 

I'm on the beta for this but I can't get my xbox one controller working. It works in Steam but the game doesn't recognise it, has anyone else got it working?