rllmuk
Jamie John

'Pass the pad' / spouse-friendly co-op games

Years ago now my wife and I played through Until Dawn on the PS4 together. I would control the movement and the actions, but when it came to any decisions or puzzles, we'd talk through them together and take it in turns to make a choice.

Anyway, in the fits of Covid-19 boredom, she's decided that she's no longer content to allow me to play games by myself for three hours each night while she sleeps, and has decided to impinge on my solitude by demanding that we spend more time together - a ridiculous notion, I know, but one to which I am nonetheless obligated to acquiesce.

So, can anyone recommend any games that are similar to Until Dawn that we can play through, preferably on Switch? My wife doesn't game much at all, so it needs to be something that's either simple enough for a newbie, or ideally something like UD where I can control the action but there's bits where we make decisions together. If it only requires one pad then it can be PS4 as well as Switch.

To clarify, I'm not talking about party games - stuff like Overcooked or Heave-Ho, which we play with friends - but stuff that's a bit less involved and less heavy on the action.

Any recommendations?

• Upvote 4

Similar to Until Dawn? You've got the Telltale stuff - Walking Dead, Batman and The Wolf Among Us are probably your best bets. 

• Upvote 2

It isn’t like Until Dawn, but my wife and I had loads of fun with Good Job:

Easy to play, funny, lots of variety and teamwork, and some puzzles to talk through.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Similar to Until Dawn? You've got the Telltale stuff - Walking Dead, Batman and The Wolf Among Us are probably your best bets. 

:facepalm: Of course! We actually watched The Walking Dead together, too (before it got shit, anyway) so that's a good place to start.

1 minute ago, bobin said:

Super Chariot is simple enough and allows some degree of taking control in sticky situations. 

Snipperclips is good too. 

Or play Doom and pause before you shoot. Discuss if you should shoot, or try and talk. 

We've got Super Chariot - forgot to mention that one. It was enjoyable but still led to frustration at points when we felt like the one person wasn't following the other's instructions.

Essentially, I don't want anything that's going to cause a row.

Life is Strange 1 and 2? I loved the story in both and you can control it and you make the decisions together?

Oh hang on switch wasn’t it? I don’t think it’s on that.

• Upvote 5

Slightly off topic but this does remind me of my partner who caned Nier: Automata recently but just couldn’t get his head around the hacking mini game, which is essentially a twin sticks shooter, and would always ask me to do it because he couldn’t. Like, literally could not comprehend the concept of moving and aiming on the left and right sticks and having to do both at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I would have thought the best fit for what you’re after would be The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvo4-Ly-sA

That's proper bobbins though. So disappointing after Until Dawn. 

39 minutes ago, Popo said:

Slightly off topic but this does remind me of my partner who caned Nier: Automata recently but just couldn’t get his head around the hacking mini game, which is essentially a twin sticks shooter, and would always ask me to do it because he couldn’t. Like, literally could not comprehend the concept of moving and aiming on the left and right sticks and having to do both at the same time. 

My dad is like this. He used to really enjoy gaming, but following the advent of the twin analog sticks he's just never been able to get on with modern games that use them. He's absolutely caner Resi 4 about 5 times on the GameCube because it doesn't require dual stick control.

23 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I would have thought the best fit for what you’re after would be The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvo4-Ly-sA

I did think that. Maybe if it's on sale because, as mdn2 says, it's not supposed to be all that.

I think Telltale/LiS-style games sound like the safest bet. I was planning on picking up the complete Walking Dead series anyway, so this gives me another excuse to now.

I don't know if this is on console but how about Keep Talking Or Everyone Explodes? 

One person is trapped in a room with a bomb, the other players have access to the manual to defuse the bomb. As the timer runs down you have to work together to defuse each part of the bomb. 

Me and the Mrs had a great time playing through Return of the Obra Dinn over Christmas. Very much a game that you can enjoy both playing and observing.

• Upvote 2

I was going to suggest Until Dawn.

Me and my back then non-gamer mate had an absolute blast playing through L.A. Noire. The action stuff was my thing, we both did the interrogations. Often with hilarious results.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Laine said:

Life is Strange 1 and 2? I loved the story in both and you can control it and you make the decisions together?

I feel obliged to point out here that Life is Strange 2 is really, REALLY good, and everyone should play it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blunted said:

Me and the Mrs had a great time playing through Return of the Obra Dinn over Christmas. Very much a game that you can enjoy both playing and observing.

Good one. One of the best investigation games ever made.

• Upvote 1

Why not play the free Captain Spirit demo and then Life is Strange 2 if it appeals

The Walking Dead Telltale game I think is perfect. Time pressured decisions, some of which will haunt you for years. And you can blame her for making them.

Also instead of just videogames, perhaps look at a modern two player board game. Jaipur, 7 Wonders Dual even Fog of love... something for everyone these days. 

• Upvote 1

A Way Out was a great co-op game to play with the missus (who isn’t particularly into anything other than Mario Kart). 

We also enjoy the Peggle games and Puzzle Quest for pass the pad. 

• Upvote 2

The lockdown has been great for my partner and me when it comes to videogames. On our first date several years ago, she told me she liked videogames, but then she would never find time to play them. We certainly have the time now.

It started when Sony played a blinder and gave away the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, which I told my partner about just as a point of interest, and she then suggested we play them together. We rattled through all three of those, then into a replay of The Last of Us, then Resident Evil 4, and now onto Uncharted 4. While she's had some occasional frustrations that nearly derailed things - early moments in both The Last of Us and Resident Evil 4 seemed less generous than Uncharted - we've ultimately made our way through them all. We play it by ear in terms of who's in control, and I don't feel like I haven't played the game for the sections I've been spectating. I'd even say I could happily watch her play an entire game. I hope we can still find time for games once the lockdown is over (if ever...).

I realise that's not the most helpful response, but it might be worth noting that the Uncharted games have modes and options that allow things to be tackled in more relaxed ways. Not just your simple Easy mode, but also explorer modes without enemies and various player assist options (that we haven't yet used, so I can't report on further).

• Upvote 1

@Jamie John, what about The Council? Think it's a fiver on XB1 now, not sure about on PSN. I really enjoyed it, although I would consider it flawed in a few areas. Basically, you go to an island to look for your mother, meet a load of famous historical figures and try to get to the bottom of a mystery which involves political machinations, the occult, scientific discoveries and a range of puzzles. 

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

@Jamie John, what about The Council? Think it's a fiver on XB1 now, not sure about on PSN. I really enjoyed it, although I would consider it flawed in a few areas. Basically, you go to an island to look for your mother, meet a load of famous historical figures and try to get to the bottom of a mystery which involves political machinations, the occult, scientific discoveries and a range of puzzles. 

Sounds interesting but I don't have an Xbox, unfortunately.

Has anyone seen the definitive version of The Walking Dead going cheap on PS4? There's a few sites doing the Xbone version for £20, but not for PlayStation.

23 hours ago, Laine said:

Not forgetting Before the Storm either. Really loved that.

I think Firewatch is interesting to watch as well as play. Not too long and it held my attention all the way. It's on Switch and PS4.

My wife and I have been playing Kingdom Two Crowns recently.  In terms of your interaction with the game, it's really simple; you're walking left or right, you're dropping or spending coins.  That's about it - perfect if your wife isn't used to playing much.  It's more about the decisions you make.  What to upgrade, when to go exploring, how to split up the duties.  Simple, but fun, and quite a lot to discover.