rllmuk
MattyP

Wow moments in gaming

Legging it in an utter panic into an elevator, before I'm stabbed and smashed into mush by an angry Balder Knight and and angrier Berenike Knight. Bricking it the whole way down, imagining what awaits me below, when I suddenly realise im in Firelink. Beautiful, safe Firelink

• Upvote 3

When we first got a Megadrive we noticed a strange static-ish sound coming from the telly, and genuinely thought the Megadrive was faulty until we realised it was the sound of the waterfalls in the background.

Seeing Virtua Racing in action on the Megadrive - it looks ropey now but then it was miraculous.

• Upvote 3

I remember getting my Megadrive pretty early on along with Altered Beast and feeling my TV was an arcade machine now. 

I was about 8. 

• Upvote 3

I remember seeing mortal

kombat one when it released in the arcades in my local video shop (remember those?). 

Watching some kid do sub zeros fatality blew my mind. 

• Upvote 2

Titanfall 2's multiplayer, when everything clicks, is exhilarating. It gets load of credit for its single player mode, and rightly so, but nothing comes close to types of sequences you can put together in that game. The change of pace and tactics that the Titans bring, mixed with the speed and abilities of the pilots is sublime.

The scale of destruction in the EDF games. I keep introducing people to EDF 5, and after a couple of levels they're hooked. I can't think of another game that gets more hectic or has bigger explosions.

Gliding down from the plateau in Breath of the Wild,m realising the scale of the game.

Everything in Astrobot.

Seeing Super Mario World for the first time back in 1990.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

If you've only ever been to modern arcades I think it's very difficult to describe the wow factor of arcades from the 1980s and 1990s. But even today if I see a Sega Rally machine, I'll play it and it makes me happy. Not just because it's a great game but because that whole era really was magic.

Yeah, I spent a fair bit of time in the 70s and 80s in arcades. Annual trips to Blackpool, hanging around the local Pool Hall, then moving to London for Uni and heading to Leicester Square or Goodge Street on a Saturday.

Every year brought a new revelation.

• Upvote 1

Spending a fortune on Wave Race 64 on the N64 and was just blown away by how well it looked and played.  Loved it. Oh, and not an actual game but something that had the wow factor for me every time I read it - Mean Machines magazine.  

Modern day has to be the start of Death Stranding.  When that music hits, the ambience, scenery, everything was unreal.

• Upvote 2

Playing SF II on the SNES.

Playing Virtua Racing, first in the arcades, and later on the MD.

Entering Hyrule Field in OoT.

The last one was probably the BotW reveal in 2014.

Getting misty eyed at al the arcade reminiscing. Me and my mate once we’d passed our driving test used to drive up to Clacton every week and hit the arcades. Street Fighter 2, Virtua Racing, NBA Jam, old Golden Axe cab... heaven. Miss that excitement of seeing/playing something impossible on my Amiga or SNES. Great days

EDIT: Bloody phone... Virtual Racing? Corrected

• Upvote 4

Not entirely sure this is a 'wow' moment, but there's an early mission in Red Dead 2 that I find incredibly moving. Trying to get (and fail) a poor bugger to pay off his loan from Strauss. If you've played it, you'll know the bit. 

It's significant in that I think Arthur is - by and large - written as a vaguely honourable man. However, he's in the business of being dishonourable and I find him fascinating in how you see in the aftermath of that moment just how fucking conflicted he is.

Obviously, it has other consequences for the rest of the game but it's an impressive bit of writing, and acted out wonderfully well.

• Upvote 1

In the original Xbox Splinter Cell demo there was a part when you could walk through a semi transparent curtain next to a medical bed. Pretty amazing when the curtain flowed around Sam's body... Something that today you wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

13 hours ago, spanx said:

Getting misty eyed at al the arcade reminiscing. Me and my mate once we’d passed our driving test used to drive up to Clacton every week and hit the arcades. Street Fighter 2, Virtual Racing, NBA Jam, old Golden Axe cab... heaven. Miss that excitement of seeing/playing something impossible on my Amiga or SNES. Great days

I cannot overstate what an experience going to the arcade was from the 80's till approx the PlayStation era. You would walk in and be presented with scores of machines all bright, loud and battling for your attention. Some for single player right up to your Turtles/Simpson which supported 4 player. You would have simple machines along side big monsters like Hang On that had an actual tilting motorbike to sit on, Operation Wolf with it's mounted machine gun and even the humble Paperboy machine had a protruding BMX handlebar controller. Most of all you would see graphics beyond your wildest imaginations. I would play stuff on a C64 or at best have played an NES in the shop, but I was walking into the arcade and seeing the jumbo sprites of Final Fight, the almost cartoon quality (to my eyes at the time) graphics of the TMHT game, and the real FMV of Mad Dog Mcree. All this I was seeing was impossible and I could only dream of a time where the quality of what I was playing at home would match anything like this. As a kid of 11/12 in that era my tiny mind was absolutely blown away. 

• Upvote 8

Replaying through Days Gone made me once again realise how wonderful the weather effects are, the snowfall particularly. It's difficult to accurately describe it so let me call it "gradually fast". When it starts to snow you notice flakes falling from the sky, the surfaces becoming more white and before you know it but unable to pinpoint an exact moment the entire landscape is covered in snow. It's such a beautiful transition that never ceases to amaze me. There's patches of snow and ice on your clothing and bike as well, it is such a nice thing to witness.

It wasn't just the jump in graphics in the arcades, it was the choice. SNES or MD games were expensive - you only maybe got a few a year, maybe you played through more with your friends. But you walked into the arcade and there were 50, 100 games to choose from, probably ranging from 8 but graphics to full 3D. 

There was also magic in watch some people - free too. I remember in a campsite on holiday watching someone do Wardner front to back. Must have cost a fortune to get that good. Or watching someone knock out all comers in Street Fighter or MKII. No YouTube, No Evo. That dude was probably the best you'd ever see. 

MAME gives a healthy dose of retrospect on exactly how shitty a lot of arcade games where. But when it was good, it was very very good, and it was axing at the time. 

• Upvote 6

I don't remember playing bad arcade machines.  MAME show us that they did exist and there were plenty of them but the ones I saw in arcades at the time we're pretty much all great. I even used to love an old arcade called Shebang on Morecambe promenade which had loads of old Victorian era games.  A road painted on a rolling cylinder with a toy car on a stick on top of it, that sort of thing.  

Climbing the Agency Tower in Crackdown. So tense - what if I fall? - such a real sense of scale, but the view from the top (and jumping down into the water) was pretty exhilarating. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Climbing the Agency Tower in Crackdown. So tense - what if I fall? - such a real sense of scale, but the view from the top (and jumping down into the water) was pretty exhilarating. 

I never played crackdown. But have been revisiting a lot of 360 games lately and might give it a go now!

• Upvote 2

I've said it before, and I know it's a daft one, but reaching for my phone when hearing the interference over the car radio in GTAIV.

4 minutes ago, Droo said:

I never played crackdown. But have been revisiting a lot of 360 games lately and might give it a go now!

Never been a better time as Crackdown 1 & 2 are currently free!

Getting a Japanese Mega Drive as a kid and thinking I was the best thing ever. I loved going to those tiny indie shops that seemed to spring up all over Sheffield and buying random Japanese games.  My number one wow moment on the Mega Drive was that first level of Strider. It felt like the coolest game ever. Having no money as a kid meant I only played games on hard and never continued to make them last longer. I never finished Strider. I was an idiot.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Never been a better time as Crackdown 1 & 2 are currently free!

On the 360??

34 minutes ago, Droo said:

On the 360??

Guessing so they are both on the store....

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Crackdown/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307dc

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/product/Crackdown-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5308bc

I have them both on digital format and play them on my 360. Think MS gave both away a while back shortly before the release of Crackdown 3. I downloaded them when I had a XBO and found them on the 360 when I powered it up.

• Upvote 1

On 19/05/2020 at 16:03, Ry said:

Seeing (and playing) the sega GLOC 360 degree space, astronaut training flight sim thingy. Mind blowing. And scary. 

No other arcade has came close to it. Ever. 

Opening up my zx spectrum on Christmas day.

Playing VR for the first time. Floored me. 

More recently so many things in RDR2. Attention to detail off the charts. 

There's an excellent emulated version in the Sega Ages series on the Switch btw.

• Upvote 1

Literally a wow moment in the ‘original game ‘......first trip across badlands (?) and seeing thousand needles. 

Halo has lots of them but slipping into the sky in a banshee for the first time was pretty special.  The snow effects, the orchestral score, the realisation that the game world was huge.  That game is ace.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

There's an excellent emulated version in the Sega Ages series on the Switch btw.

Yeah but the Switch can't roll you upside down :)

Ignoring some of the obvious ones that have already been covered (Mario 64, Wave Race, WoW, BoTW);

DK Jungle Beat - A rhythm platform game played with bongo's? Surely that can't wor....oh my fucking god this is amazing.

Wario Ware Inc (I know Twisted came first) - plus a nod to Bishi Bashi as well.

On the graphics front, playing Rogue Leader through RGB when I got an import Gamecube.

• Upvote 1