Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)

mdn2

19 minutes ago, smac said:

You did what?

I never got past them slinging me the odd heart.

In the second half of the game, throwing them the maximum amount of money gets them to refill your health, give you items and rearrange the rings to the optimum position. I don't know if it relates to the amount of Toads you rescue, but they did it every time for me. 

The weapon breaking is so pointless. It worked in Breath of the Wild because it forced you to mix up your weapons, and made every hidden weapon and chest an actual reward. There are so many great things about the game, but the battle system is not one of them. Such a shame.

In Paper Mario 2, this ‘puzzle battle’ mechanic would have been used in a single chapter and then discarded.

If you hold down the button when throwing coins to the toads they can do one, two or three moves for you depending on the puzzle, if you really hate it. Costs 1000 coins for 3 moves if I recall. By end game you can bypass all the fights like this as you’ll be swimming in cash. 

I was tired last night but played it this morning and abused the recording function on the Switch to get through it.

Honestly I’m loving this game but that section is horrible. On some of the games I knew the answers first time round but didn’t understand what I needed to do on the battle board to place the correct answer. I’ll never understand why they have time limited some of the things on this. 

Chickened out on the last round and skipped it. I’m not a glutton. 

3 hours ago, Chooch said:

Realised early in there was little chance getting 100% in this. Found that quite freeing actually. 

This is "unofficially" my GOTY mostly because I was able to ignore the major issues with it. But they are there. 

I agree that once you just enjoy the ride of the core play-through and not worry about collecting everything, it improves. I don't think you really miss anything. It's still fun to find stuff like toads, but I'm not going to faff about feeling for slight vibrations for every little thing.

And yeah.... cheat with the camera a lot because fuck timers in games.

And now a boss with insta-death moves. This has taken a turn for the worse this chapter. 

With a mini boss you have to do each time as well - it’s like it’s aiming to frustrate the player.

EDIT: nothing like a good moan to then go on and finish something the next try.  

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, memories said:

Thanks.

That sounds like a good mechanic too, assuming you mean pay using some in game currency though?

Anyone selling a copy?

Oops, yes - no IAPs here!

According to Deku Deals it’s on sale on Amazon for £36.99. 

It's funny to see this thread bumped - someone bought this for me for Christmas (knowing I had just got a Switch) and I'm really enjoying the humour and imagination going on here. I'm still near the beginning (so have not come across some issues I read skimming this thread) but it has been pretty fantastic so far. If a game of this nature has enough charm / atmosphere I usually find it easy to overlook those kinds of flaws in mechanics anyway...!

9 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

£32 for mine?

Thanks for the offer. I was looking as my son was interested in spending his Xmas money on the game, turns out though since I went looking he has now apparently bought a Newton's Cradle, a bankie that is a small touch screen ATM machine and a mini toy one armed bandit.

I knew kids can change there mind fast but that's ridiculous :lol:.

I will have a chat with him and see if he wants to maybe go halves with me.

This is a bit of a curates egg for me. I normally love all things Mario, but the battle system is confusing me beyond all belief. I don't think my brain is wired to deal with this type of puzzle. I got to the first boss and after 3 attempts I completely fluked it. I will persevere, but I've never seen a game over screen in a Mario game as often as I have with this, even on the normal battles. Am I missing something obvious?

Just cleared the first streamer.  I don't think this is for me. The battles are boring and I just muddle through them. Luckily, it's a physical copy so I can trade it in for something else. I love all things Mario usually, but this is just not clicking with me. it's boring. A chore to play.