rllmuk
CovisGod

Where do you buy your retro games?

6 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I use a mix of eBay, retro shops, forums and FB groups. Actually one of my best sources is a guy I have on my FB friends list who lives in Japan sells JPN retro stuff. He puts his stuff on his wall before he puts on his website or eBay.

Steve?

1 minute ago, DeciderVT said:

Steve?

Yea, you on there too?

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

That's not what I said at all. I said that when I last checked in I was surprised that the market had deteriorated to the point where people now have to openly demonstrate that their carts were genuine. I use an SD2SNES for some things now because I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of importing something, paying customs fees or returning an item internationally if it's fake or there's something else wrong with it. As pointed out elsewhere in the thread, importing has once again become an expensive process and one that has left me out of pocket when something goes wrong. If it's something I really want, I'll still go to the trouble of saving up and sourcing a copy in the best condition I can find. My days of taking a punt on something I'm not particularly passionate about are over though. If "having my cake and eating it" is saving me time, money and hassle, then so be it.

I were in the same position as the OP now, using flash carts would be a saner and more cost effective solution than chasing down my previous collection.

I didn't appreciate your pointless and predictable snarky remark. Lecturing me on how easy it is to open a SNES cart is exactly the sort of tedious pedantry I found tiresome and you have form for it. I'll ignore the rest though, much of what you've posted ("faking" games, etc.) has clearly been phrased to provoke a response.

You moan about not wanting to import games and have actually "stopped buying for cart-based consoles " as there is a chance they may be fake, "so many fakes are circulating" you state with anecdotal evidence.

And on the other hand are "astonished" that sellers have had to resort to showing rom chips on ebay to prove authenticity.

The two statements contradict.

I'm sorry that you have stopped buying games and are using everdrives, not because they are useful but because you don't want the hassle of returning items. I get that, you must have been unlucky.

I've been buying games online for many years, and i've not had a fake yet (though i have purchased fakes from CEX). I must (and appreciate) that i have been lucky as there are definitely around.

As for having a different opinion to you on an internet forum, isn't that the point? Yes i believe that FPGAs are emulation, but i still love my FPGA consoles. Each to their own. 

If you want a place where everyone HAS to have the same view or get banned, try Resetera

4 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Yea, you on there too?

Used to be until I deleted my account! He was lovely to deal with. He accidentally sent me two copies of about five or six different JP Saturn racers and told me to keep the duplicates instead of sending them back.

9 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Used to be until I deleted my account! He was lovely to deal with. He accidentally sent me two copies of about five or six different JP Saturn racers and told me to keep the duplicates instead of sending them back.

Yea, he’s spot on. Undervalues stuff and postage is always included in the price. 

7 minutes ago, ulala said:

You moan about not wanting to import games and have actually "stopped buying for cart-based consoles " as there is a chance they may be fake, "so many fakes are circulating" you state with anecdotal evidence.

And on the other hand are "astonished" that sellers have had to resort to showing rom chips on ebay to prove authenticity.

The two statements contradict.

One is a symptom of the other. And I said I largely stopped, not completely. I still look for SNES stuff occasionally but as noted, it's a dwindling market. I'm not "moaning", I've just changed my buying behaviour.

I'm sorry that you have stopped buying games and are using everdrives, not because they are useful but because you don't want the hassle of returning items. I get that, you must have been unlucky.

I also use my SD2SNES for patches and fan translations, not just for the stated reasons. I also use it to try before I buy, before I put money down. It has paid for itself many times over.

As for having a different opinion to you on an internet forum, isn't that the point? Yes i believe that FPGAs are emulation, but i still love my FPGA consoles. Each to their own.

If you want a place where everyone HAS to have the same view or get banned, try Resetera

I have no problem with differing views, you just choose to be a prick about it- repeatedly. And here we are in another cyclical discussion of yours.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Fenrir looks like a good option for Saturn too. It's a lot cheaper too. 20-pin drive only at the moment though.

Thats the kicker for me. Ive a 21 pin model, plus I like the fact i can stick a 2.5" sata drive in place of an SD Card. Ive a spare 1TB here already and Terraonion already has a good rep for their NEO GEO and PC Engine kit 

• Upvote 1

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 21:27, CovisGod said:

I’m just wondering wether there’s somewhere I’m unaware of or have massively overlooked when it comes to buying retro games? Generally if I want something I try -

Here

eBay

FB Selling Pages

And obvs not currently but Car Boots. Is there somewhere glaringly obvious that I’m missing because when it comes to eBay the prices are ridiculous, I’m not paid £60 for an unboxed Mario Tennis on the GBA, and it seems that folks on FB Selling are wise to it also, everything is snapped up within seconds or priced by retro game sellers instead of the average Joe,

I massively regret selling off my Retro Games collection when my first Daughter was born as I got literally peanuts and to replace would now cost me tens of thousands,

Thanks guys

CEX is good if you can view the item before buying. They seem to broadly price off eBay auctions, as opposed to eBay buy it now sold prices, so their prices tend to be at the more reasonable end of the scale.

Also organized retro sales can be good. I went to one in London last year, which whilst quite hellish (it was very busy and way too hot in the hotel function room where it was held) was good for a rummage. Around half the sellers there were dealers - who generally wanted eBay prices and the other half were individuals selling off parts of their collections who tended to be far more reasonably priced.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

CEX is good if you can view the item before buying. They seem to broadly price off eBay auctions, as opposed to eBay buy it now sold prices, so their prices tend to be at the more reasonable end of the scale.

Also organized retro sales can be good. I went to one in London last year, which whilst quite hellish (it was very busy and way too hot in the hotel function room where it was held) was good for a rummage. Around half the sellers there were dealers - who generally wanted eBay prices and the other half were individuals selling off parts of their collections who tended to be far more reasonably priced.

CEX can be good, but they can also let some fake carts though by accident, specifically GBA i've found.

There is a lag with their pricing as it is definitely taken from ebay, so it can result in some games being overpriced and even some games being underpriced as they haven't caught up with ebay.

Never sell them your games though, you get a fraction of their real value.

Games dealers just buy up all the reasonable stock early and punt it back to you for an inflated price.

I've got a collection of games starting from the SNES till modern days that I'm wanting to move on. Got Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, GameCube, stuff. I'm not a collector, but I never get rid of anything I've bought, mainly through laziness. But the cupboard is jammed and I need the room. I can assure you it's all genuine, but I'm not going to be opening carts to prove it. Would anybody be interested? Is it best to load these up to a Google Doc to see what I've got? 

6 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

I've got a collection of games starting from the SNES till modern days that I'm wanting to move on. Got Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, GameCube, stuff. I'm not a collector, but I never get rid of anything I've bought, mainly through laziness. But the cupboard is jammed and I need the room. I can assure you it's all genuine, but I'm not going to be opening carts to prove it. Would anybody be interested? Is it best to load these up to a Google Doc to see what I've got? 

Yeah, list would be a good idea :) Maybe a bit of blurb for condition, boxed etc.

13 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Also interested. Is it mostly PAL or imports?

1 hour ago, nightwaxon said:

I’m interested. 

So, with the excitement surrounding the new Terraonion Saturn / DC MODE - which will obviously be the best product of its kind available - I can't help but put a reminder out that the best Saturn modchip around (which obviously isn't quite plug 'n play but trivial to install with a mere single wire needing soldering to any number of easy to access spots) can be bought from the dude who makes them for £15:

https://retrogamerstuff.com/collections/saturn/products/phantom

Obviously I get that not everyone has (or wants) access to a CD burner, some people have one machine with a dead drive and the allure of buying a solution which might** be the 'final' one ever required is strong..but £180 + import duties is a bit much to make MODE attractive to me personally.

**I'm not sure if / how the MODE will able to act as a region / 50-60hz switcher (and/or an effective alternative to a region-free BIOS chip) required for true access to the entire library. We'll have to see. And I appreciate that this is a minor concern but as someone with almost as many OG PAL games (some of the best being 50hz optimised) as JPN ones this has always been important to me.

Yeah I imagine you'll want a custom BIOS and 50/60hz mod as well as an ODE. Although the BIOS part is probably not an issue if you can patch ISOs.

On 14/05/2020 at 17:49, DeciderVT said:

Customs have gotten very sharp with me in recent years. Nothing flies under the radar now, unless it's specifically undervalued by the seller. (Not that I ever ask for this!)

Absolutely this. Customs charges have now meant that it's become absolutely prohibitively expensive buying overseas. What annoys me the most is the fact that they factor in P&P costs. That takes the absolute piss. Goodness only knows what will happen next year... people will get what they voted for I guess.

Regarding retro prices in general, I feel sorry for anyone trying to get into it now. My only (ebay) tip would be that if you can wait, then you'll occasionally find things for sale by sellers who actually 'need' to sell. Only then will you maybe find a reasonable buy it now price or OMG(!) an actual auction!

Sorry for the late reply chaps. Mixture of pal, JAP and US across all. I'll do a doc over the weekend and give you a link. Got several Jap Saturn (,Radiant Silvergun, Elevator Action Returns, battle garegga)... And they're all boxed with instructions save for a few

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, ulala said:

CEX can be good, but they can also let some fake carts though by accident, specifically GBA i've found.

There is a lag with their pricing as it is definitely taken from ebay, so it can result in some games being overpriced and even some games being underpriced as they haven't caught up with ebay.

Never sell them your games though, you get a fraction of their real value.

Games dealers just buy up all the reasonable stock early and punt it back to you for an inflated price.

I’ve sold quite a few lower value items to CEX. Generally speaking anything with a fat case will cost you £3.50 to post first class. Once you factor in eBay and PayPal fees you’re left with less than £5 from a game you sold for £10. Much easier to simply get a credit voucher for £4 to £6 and use it to buy something where the price algorithm has made it cheaper than eBay. Games in cardboard boxes are also a pain too as you need to put them in a box. 

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2020 at 13:32, Anne Summers said:

As far as I can see, retro games are only going to get more expensive. Every year that goes by, more 8 and 16-bit stuff dies or breaks, so there's more demand for the ever diminishing remaining items, particularly if they are boxed or in good condition. Or just about any condition, if they are decent or rare games. 

It's the main reason I've started my own small collection of games that are important/personal to me - not because I think I'll be able to sell them for more in the future, but because I don't think I'll be able to justify the expense of buying them in the future, if I don't buy them now!

Of course there's always the chance it's a bubble of some sort - but I don't think that's the case. I can't see what would be creating it. (unless lots of people are thinking the same way as me - and trying to secure their long-lost childhood favourites before it's too late). 

Do ports/remakes/remasters of old games on new formats tend to reduce the prices of the originals? If so, how long does that effect tend to last?

For example, how were resale prices of the original versions of things like Rez, Shenmue, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga affected when the HD versions came out? Did N64 Majora's Mask and Conker's Bad Fur Day drop in value on eBay when they came out on the Wii Virtual Console and Rare Replay respectively?

Presumably, modern re-releases cause demand to plummet from people who just want a legal way to play those games, but they probably don't have much effect on people who collect because they want to own original copies in good condition.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Do ports/remakes/remasters of old games on new formats tend to reduce the prices of the originals? If so, how long does that effect tend to last?

For example, how were resale prices of the original versions of things like Rez, Shenmue, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga affected when the HD versions came out? Did N64 Majora's Mask and Conker's Bad Fur Day drop in value on eBay when they came out on the Wii Virtual Console and Rare Replay respectively?

Presumably, modern re-releases cause demand to plummet from people who just want a legal way to play those games, but they probably don't have much effect on people who collect because they want to own original copies in good condition.

They generally fall quite significantly in value - see @MikeBeaver‘s attempt to corner the market in copies of Crash Bandicoot for the PlayStation a few months before the PS4 remake was released.

21 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

Thanks for all your interests. I'll get back to you all as soon as. 

I’ve requested access