rllmuk
Stigweard

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Wish they'd make an actual new Unreal game with this tech.

Ha, yes that would be fantastic.

Still, the new engine looks great just from this clip. No doubt will only get better too.

See, this sort of thing is what I’d have wanted MS to do as opposed to the colossal waste of time their last preview thing was.

I know it was just a demo, and looked more or less like Nathan Croft with magic but there’s stuff there that got me genuinely excited for what to expect from the new generation. 

Can’t bloody wait now.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

See, this sort of thing is what I’d have wanted MS to do as opposed to the colossal waste of time their last preview thing was.

I know it was just a demo, and looked more or less like Nathan Croft with magic but there’s stuff there that got me genuinely excited for what to expect from the new generation. 

Can’t bloody wait now.

Yes but we see this all the time with Unreal demos, they show the absolute optimum of how a game could look, but these demos are created by massively talented artists and the likes of, say, Fromsoft will still take ages to get anywhere near the fidelity of this, if ever. Great for Naughty Dog and Guerilla, but for everyone else probably a dream to make games at this level graphically. I remember seeing demos for fire/fluid sims/tornadoes etc in UE3 and 4 that we never even got close to on consoles.

14 minutes ago, JoeK said:

We would have still had the same arguments going on about 'gameplay' but even more so.

• Upvote 2

Just now, PC Master Race said:

We would have still had the same arguments going on about 'gameplay' but even more so.

Of course, but I’d be happy.

And that’s the main thing, surely?

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Comrade said:

Wow, Epic actually built the infinite polygon engine.

:)

Why the crawl through a crack? I thought that was over?

At least they've bothered to make it look like gameplay this time, rather than stuff like the Samaritan demo.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Yes but we see this all the time with Unreal demos, they show the absolute optimum of how a game could look... 

I am no engineer or technician, but like you said what's shown is the absolute optimum. 100% of all available resources go to visuals in a heavily controlled environment. No real-time sound, no artificial intelligence, no controller input. Nothing needs to be calculated but graphics.

A lot of what's being heavily touted regarding next gen tech seems to be concerned with giving devs greater flexibility and simplifying the asset pipeline. It'll be interesting to see what this means in practice for indie developers who aren't neccessarily chasing the absolute highest graphical fidelity or performance. Take something like, say, Rime. Took ages to develop. Still had some very obvious rough edges even when it was released. I would guess that a big part of that was the need to, despite picking an off the shelf engine, spend ages dealing with technical rather than creative concerns. Both consoles have fast SSDs able to stream assets in quickly as needed, and can run 16 (significantly faster) threads on the CPU. So Epic's suggestion that there could be bandwidth to process largely unoptimised assets in real time, even while running the rest of the game, doesn't seem that far fetched.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, footle said:

:)

Why the crawl through a crack? I thought that was over?

To emulate third party titles hamstrung by the puny XSX SSD.

I dread to think of the build iteration time of this. Pretty though!

• Upvote 1

That lighting made my jaw drop. I have so many questions about how development will change though to be able to make something like this. Current texturing tools like Substance ain't gunna run nicely with such high polycounts. How the hell do I UV a high poly asset cleanly? Given high quality zbrush files end up hundreds of mb in size, if not into the gigabytes (even without the undo history stored), how on earth do you handle storage for something like this? Can't wait to find out more :omg:

• Upvote 1

Ultra-realistic lighting, modelling and texture maps, but they still have “painted” walls so you know where to climb.

• Upvote 2

That looks amazing, and if this is anything like pre-release hype reels of prior generations, I can't wait to see this in my games starting with the PS6/Xbox THREESIXTY SERIES Y: classic ONE edition X. 

Jeff Bakalar's (Giant Bomb, CNET) 5 year-old son approves

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

That looks amazing, and if this is anything like pre-release hype reels of prior generations, I can't wait to see this in my games starting with the PS6/Xbox THREESIXTY SERIES Y: classic ONE edition X. 

Someone linked the PS4 version and it looks really rough, actually:

It's not even 30fps!

• Upvote 3

That is a one sweet ass looking engine demo.  Good indication of what the next Uncharted will look like with the climbing and walking.  I like the nod to the contextual putting hand on door stuff. I really liked that sort of small detail with uncharted. They didn't just march through environments, they'd do little things like put their hands on stuff to steady themselves etc.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Games will easily surpass this on PS5/XSX.

Pffft. In Dishonored 2 the enemies can close a door, when leaving a room using the door knob. Sometimes it's not perfect, as you'll see their arm clip through the door.

@rafaqat I wouldn't say Uncharted 4 is an absolute world away from how that looks? But it only reached those highs through being a largely linear adventure, with a small army of people working long (many would say unreasonable) hours on it. Using current workflows almost no developers can create a game that has that kind of visual variety and fidelity, only one with the billions of backing that a platform holder provides has a chance. What this demo shows is that this kind of visually rich presentation should come within the reach of much smaller teams, working faster, all the while being able to abandon linearity in favour of dynamism and emergence if they should so choose. They will also have much more of a guarantee that they won't find themselves, several years into a project, struggling to cram their vision into the available hardware with no easy way to scale things down.

• Upvote 3