rllmuk
Meerman

Sim Racing Central

Hola! This thread is for exchanging thoughts about sim racing in general. So whether you're an avid sim racer or looking to get into it, this is the thread for you.

It doesn't matter if it's on PC or console... as long as the game simulates real-world visuals/physics/audio, supports FFB steering wheels and features tuning, it's a racing sim as far as I'm concerned. 

Show off your racing rig setup, talk about your favourite titles, what gear you use, ask or give advice and whatever else is on topic!

Willy-waving time! :eyebrows:

I'm heavy into Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. AC because it has a great community and loads of mods (such as the fantastic content manager UI and the Sol shader mod), and DR because it's the best rallying game I've played in ages. Other titles I'm playing are Dirt Rally 2, RaceRoom, Forza Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4, and I've recently bought Assetto Corsa Competitione.

I'm actually using a laptop to run these in 2K resolution (2560x1440). It's a Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN with a quad-core i5-7300HQ CPU, Nvidia 4GB GeForce GTX1050 GPU, 8GB RAM which does the job for most of those games, but lacks the muscle to run DR2 and ACC on high/ultra setting so I may have to upgrade to a more beefy setup in the near future.

Gear wise I'm using the Fanatec CSL wheel base with the P1 rim, CSR Elite pedals and the h-pattern/SQ shifter, which are hard-mounted on a Wheelstand Pro V2 deluxe. I'm using a very comfortable fully adjustable AutoStyle seat which I've hard-mounted (together with the wheel stand) onto a 22mm thick MDF base plate to minimise movement. I've screwed little rubber door stops underneath the base plate to minimise vibration into the floor. I'm using a Panasonic Viera TX-55CX700 as a monitor, which I'm planning to mount on the wall with a bracket soon so I won't need the table anymore. Lastly, I'm using a Turtle Beach Stealth 700 headset.

Now show me yours! :D

20200517_144201a.thumb.png.7ead0f458b5cdb352be59173c4262ea4.png

20200517_143642a.thumb.jpg.1362a60e672ce431ebf6681d58bcc7a9.jpg

20200517_143708a.thumb.png.0028ba1febcfc7a3048c3844318bf171.png

• Upvote 9

I sit at a desk with my G920 setup, but then I currently drive an Abarth 595 which has quite a high sitting position...

Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 in VR (Rift S) are amazing, particularly with open-wheeled cars, but I also like cruising along the open road courses in PC2 just taking in the scenery. 

I couldn’t get to grips with Dirt Rally. It gives me motion sickness and it’s also really difficult so I ran out of patience. :lol:

I’m currently really excited for Formula Retro Racing which is out on Friday, an arcade racer with flat shaded polygons and a recreation of Monaco. Shame it’s not in VR, but it still looks awesome IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I sit at a desk with my G920 setup, but then I currently drive an Abarth 595 which has quite a high sitting position...

Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 in VR (Rift S) are amazing, particularly with open-wheeled cars, but I also like cruising along the open road courses in PC2 just taking in the scenery. 

I couldn’t get to grips with Dirt Rally. It gives me motion sickness and it’s also really difficult so I ran out of patience. :lol:

I’m currently really excited for Formula Retro Racing which is out on Friday, an arcade racer with flat shaded polygons and a recreation of Monaco. Shame it’s not in VR, but it still looks awesome IMO.

Formula Retro looks awesome, Virtua Racing vibes! Definitely gonna check that out. :D

4 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

It's a slippery slope....

Oh man, I know. My fiancée isn't too happy with the slow stream of upgrades I'm bringing into the house...just ordered the wall bracket. :ph34r:

How do you find the height of the TV Meerman? I just got a Playseat Challenge to tide me over for a while but finding the height of the TV is a bit low now that im also lower to the ground but closer to the TV itself.

I just got into iRacing 9 days ago, running it on the PC I built a year ago (AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU). Still figuring out my way around it all but loving the custom onscreen overlays from dedicated racers making stuff available for free. Managed to get my first two wins on Sunday and tonight - it looks like its going to get expensive if I want to persue this though!

Also got some of the newer model CSR Elite pedals on the way in June! Will use them with this Thrustmaster T300 GTE for now until PS5 console compatibility is a bit clearer on the wheel front.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marmite said:

How do you find the height of the TV Meerman? I just got a Playseat Challenge to tide me over for a while but finding the height of the TV is a bit low now that im also lower to the ground but closer to the TV itself.

The TV positioning is crucial for sim racing, along with field of view angle. Check Empty Box' tutorial and this FoV calculator to set your FoV up correctly. I used to move the seat all the way back and ramp the FoV up to 90˚ to get some sense of speed in most games, which made it look like you were sitting on the back seat. That caused me to misjudge corners and overtakes, so after I've seen Empty Box' tuturial, I've changed my ways and it paid off massively.

As for the TV positioning - when I'm seated, the bottom bezel is just below the top part of the wheel base from my point of view. Then using the in-game camera settings, I set the FoV angle to what the calculator gave me, and then I 'move the seat' forwards/back/up/down so that the car's dashboard is at the bottom of the screen so that I can see it through the wheel's rim, as you do in a real car. This gives you the best sense of speed and depth/distance perception. Have a look at the pic below, you can see my wheel lines up perfectly with the in-game dashboard from my point of view.

20200514_101121.thumb.jpg.f98bcd8bdcd9c5db0b102b7404f23f91.jpg

Some games allow you have the camera look at the apex of a corner automatically or when you turn the wheel (that's the best us VR-less plebs have), and if you set the sensitivity and angle up correctly, adds to the immersion.

In general: the closer the screen is to the wheel, the better. That's why I've ordered a wall bracket so I can have the screen just as far in front of the wheel as the windscreen is in front of the wheel in a real car.

Don't forget to check if the game you're playing uses vertical or horizontal FoV.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Marmite said:

Also got some of the newer model CSR Elite pedals on the way in June! Will use them with this Thrustmaster T300 GTE for now until PS5 console compatibility is a bit clearer on the wheel front.

Have you got a Badger CPX? My CSR Elite pedals (from when we did the F1 league!) won't work without this little box I bought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Have you got a Badger CPX? My CSR Elite pedals (from when we did the F1 league!) won't work without this little box I bought.

I sold my CSL Elite because it didnt work on the PS4. That was before these adapter options existed though. 

Should be ok for now as the CSR pedals with the loadcell brake now come with a USB adapter so I can plaug them directly in to the PC itself. I'll need a compatibile wheel if I want to use with consoles moving forward though (hence why im waiting before making a purchase on that front). 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Marmite said:

I sold my CSL Elite because it didnt work on the PS4. That was before these adapter options existed though. 

Should be ok for now as the CSR pedals with the loadcell brake now come with a USB adapter so I can plaug them directly in to the PC itself. I'll need a compatibile wheel if I want to use with consoles moving forward though (hence why im waiting before making a purchase on that front). 

That's why I decided to do my racing on PC mostly. It's just too uncertain whether a new console supports your old wheel(s). Thankfully the Fanatec ecosystem allows me to use my old pedals and shifter, otherwise it would become rather expensive.

The wall bracket for my TV came in yesterday, gonna install it over the weekend. :D

Even though it's highly unlikely that the Fanatec wheels wouldn't be PS5 compatible, I'm holding off til they say for sure that they will work before potentially upgrading. It's the better brake pedal I'm craving. I'm on a G29 atm which has been great but as you get more into it, you want more feel. 

I'm playing AC and ACC on PC and GT Sport on PS4. I'm scared of touching iRacing cos then that could be life over. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

I'm playing AC and ACC on PC and GT Sport on PS4. I'm scared of touching iRacing cos then that could be life over. 

Its certainly a bit mindblowing at the start - there is a lot going on and its not explained all that well. Just over a week and a half in and I feel like I'm starting to work my way around things quite nicely though, running in the Mazda MX5 cup still despite having been promoted from Rooke to Class D - I'm holding off buying any more tracks or cars until the next season (of 12 weeks) starts in about 3 weeks or so. 

I'm actually finding the structure quite good for dipping in and out. At the moment I'm doing the one track in the series each week, in a fixed setup car, so my time is mainly spent in testing to learn the track and get faster before taking part in a few races (they are on the hour every hour in this series). 

I imagine things get a bit more intense when you get into the cars that allow for tuning, but right now it works nicely for somone like me who only plays in the evenings for maybe a couple of hours or so. 

• Upvote 2

On 14/05/2020 at 10:04, Meerman said:

The TV positioning is crucial for sim racing, along with field of view angle. Check Empty Box' tutorial and this FoV calculator to set your FoV up correctly. I used to move the seat all the way back and ramp the FoV up to 90˚ to get some sense of speed in most games, which made it look like you were sitting on the back seat. That caused me to misjudge corners and overtakes, so after I've seen Empty Box' tuturial, I've changed my ways and it paid off massively.

As for the TV positioning - when I'm seated, the bottom bezel is just below the top part of the wheel base from my point of view. Then using the in-game camera settings, I set the FoV angle to what the calculator gave me, and then I 'move the seat' forwards/back/up/down so that the car's dashboard is at the bottom of the screen so that I can see it through the wheel's rim, as you do in a real car. This gives you the best sense of speed and depth/distance perception. Have a look at the pic below, you can see my wheel lines up perfectly with the in-game dashboard from my point of view.

20200514_101121.thumb.jpg.f98bcd8bdcd9c5db0b102b7404f23f91.jpg

Some games allow you have the camera look at the apex of a corner automatically or when you turn the wheel (that's the best us VR-less plebs have), and if you set the sensitivity and angle up correctly, adds to the immersion.

In general: the closer the screen is to the wheel, the better. That's why I've ordered a wall bracket so I can have the screen just as far in front of the wheel as the windscreen is in front of the wheel in a real car.

Don't forget to check if the game you're playing uses vertical or horizontal FoV.

I've ordered a monitor arm to replace the wobbly stand on my 29" Ultrawide, and so I can position it right behind the wheel base as you've shown here.

I've also had a play around on ACC, and really reduced the field of view based on the calculators.  Much better.

I've started to become obsessed with SIM racing videos... wheel reviews... FOV discussion... monitor discussion (triple display vs Ultrawide vs VR etc)...

I don't even have a wheel yet! :D

Still waiting for stock to trickle back to vendors so I can pick up a Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Integral set.

• Upvote 2

All these people doing serious business sim racing.

Mostly all I do, and I'm really glad you can on games now, is set up a race at a fairly short or quick circuit like Watkins Glen, Silverstone National or Willow Springs with multi class opponents and just enjoy a race with traffic.  It's basically like going karting.

PCars allows 4 classes in a race, rFactor and AC actually let you specifically make up the field.  Did a race at WS last night with 23 different F1 cars over 39 opponents.  It was carnage.  First time I've had a sim really start to rag my machine too.

• Upvote 1

I always wanted to setup an iRacing rig at home but can't be arsed, so I got a wheel, stand and PS4 as lockdown was looming and I'm loving it :)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, davejm said:

I've started to become obsessed with SIM racing videos... wheel reviews... FOV discussion... monitor discussion (triple display vs Ultrawide vs VR etc)...

Yeah I'm the same at the moment. After work has finished and kids have gone to bed I'm watching videos and doing some racing, its great! I really want a proper setup now though - I'm talking a really rigid cockpit frame, triple screens etc. Not sure that will ever happen but something to think about if we ever actually get a house move done and I have the space/budget left. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve always loved racing and bike games. I didn’t understand GT Sport when it came out and the reviews were generally a travesty and didn’t do it justice, but at the time I did t know that and was just a bit sad there were no more good PS4 racing games. fast forward to Jan 19 and I see Alan Boiston from teamvvv streaming daily races. I remember it was GR4 round Tokyo and Gr3 round Interlagos and all of a sudden I get what it is about. I’d done lots of online racing in lobbies before, but having set rules and races was a game changer for me. I got it in a PSN sale and bought a cheap wheel stand and a refurbed t-150 pro ( got the half decent pedals) and other than a few months off when I had a herniated disc in my lower back I play it every week.

my best mod is I had 2 spare rolls of overgrip for my badminton racket so I wrapped them on the wheel as it’s a bit cheap and nasty plastic and hurts my delicate little hands. 
 Worse thing is i roll backwards in the chair I drag in from my home office under heavy braking....

7EF2E136-4506-4130-82A2-CDBAD808E162.jpeg

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Marmite said:

Yeah I'm the same at the moment. After work has finished and kids have gone to bed I'm watching videos and doing some racing, its great! I really want a proper setup now though - I'm talking a really rigid cockpit frame, triple screens etc. Not sure that will ever happen but something to think about if we ever actually get a house move done and I have the space/budget left. 

I'm going to see how I get on with my current Ultrawide 29", and if I really get the bug I'll think about either a triple screen setup or VR. 

By that time the new 30xx series Nvidia cards will be out and I'll have more to power more screens and VR.

Sadly, I have no idea when wheels are going to become available again.  I have stock alerts set up, but I'm still launching product pages every day and crossing my fingers only to find the same 'out of stock' messages.

Considering it could be weeks or months until they're available, I'm just punishing myself really!

• Upvote 1

Long shot, but does anyone have any pedals going spare?  I've managed to get hold of a wheel and base, but doesn't come with pedals.  I've got my eye on some of the more expensive Fanatec or Thrustmaster (Pro or LC), but I'm looking for some that can tide me over in the short term.

EDIT: Sorted.  Managed to get the standard two pedal set for £35 on eBay so that'll tide me over for a bit.

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2020 at 14:10, Junker said:

Worse thing is i roll backwards in the chair I drag in from my home office under heavy braking....

7EF2E136-4506-4130-82A2-CDBAD808E162.jpeg

Roll up a towel or two and place them behind the wheels of the chair. Sim racing improv!

Nice setup, by the way. Love the way you used that overgrip on the rim, Kickboxer style. Now you just need to dip it in glue and bits of glass. :D 

Has anyone made FFB brake pedals, and do any sims support them? Seems like it should be a thing.

• Upvote 1

I think there are some with vibration. I'm not aware of any that actually fight you.

Really you'd also want a gearshifter that physically won't engage if you don't have the clutch in and the revs matched.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Really you'd also want a gearshifter that physically won't engage if you don't have the clutch in and the revs matched.

That would be quite a technical feat! But yeah I don't see the point of clutch & H-pattern at the moment as it feels nothing like the real thing when you don't have the tactile feedback :) Same with a sequential box, in a real car like you say you'd lift and apply pressure until the gear engaged.

Actually that's one thing that really annoys me in GT Sport, if you drive the non race cars the revs rise up inbetween gearshifts like you're flat shifting using the clutch, and it sounds stupid. I wish there was an auto-lift option because otherwise you're trying to time it without being able to feel the clutch pedal/shifter.

• Upvote 1

I guess you could get a bit of the effect if you had a seat shaker. Feel the biting point through your bum.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, morcs said:

Has anyone made FFB brake pedals, and do any sims support them? Seems like it should be a thing.

My Fanatec pedals were supposed to provide feedback by rumbling when you started to lock up but they never worked. Maybe it was a PC only thing. I bet the high end kit all does this now.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mexos said:

My Fanatec pedals were supposed to provide feedback by rumbling when you started to lock up but they never worked. Maybe it was a PC only thing. I bet the high end kit all does this now.

It's indeed a PC feature with certain titles only. My pedals are fixed on the wheel stand so the vibration from the wheel travels through the frame into my pedals and through the MDF base into my seat. Not the same, but better than nothing I guess. :D 

42 minutes ago, morcs said:

That would be quite a technical feat! But yeah I don't see the point of clutch & H-pattern at the moment as it feels nothing like the real thing when you don't have the tactile feedback :)

The tension in the shifter I have can be tweaked with an allen bolt to suit your preference, but you're right, it's far from the real deal.

I've been busy this weekend and installed the wall bracket. I'm sitting closer to the screen now, so I've changed my FoV accordingly.

It's much more immersive this way, but the new FoV takes a bit getting used to as it's a tad narrower wider. :-/ 

20200517_143642a.jpg

20200517_143708a.png

20200517_144201a.png

• Upvote 3

Brilliant @Meerman.  Although if you've adjusted the field of view based on the screen being closer, surely it should be a bit wider than it was before because you have a closer window in to the action, so can see more?  Or am I being stupid?  I must admit all of this FOV stuff makes my head hurt at times.

• Upvote 1

Here's my setup.  Spot the issue with this?... :D

IMG_20200518_135033.thumb.jpg.dad6c64291feac684ca1b3fcec4f34db.jpg

Now begins the agonising wait for the wheel.   I've got this on order...

image.thumb.png.c50cb42a76fff3060036a7f0148368cb.png

... so I'm at the mercy of Thrustmasters delivery (they're saying 5-7 days) and probably longer in the current climate as I think they're based in France?

In the meantime I'm preparing my setup as best I can.  I've picked up the 2 pedal set from the Ebay seller today so I'll make do with these until I want to spend some more money and stock sorts itself out.  I've also bought a monitor arm so I can get my Ultrawide as close to the back of the wheel as possible.

IMG_20200518_135345.thumb.jpg.295e64ba987b7fb3f0fdcbab8f18e521.jpg

I'm not totally happy with my seating position but I need to make do with the office space at the moment.  My seat is pretty good (it'd be even better if I could stop the swivel motion) but I'd be happier if I could get the pedals a little higher.   When I get some more decent pedals I'll build some kind of mounting system, but I'm using the retractable keyboard shelf on the floor at the moment to prop it slightly.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Love the fan for that extra bit of immersion :D 

Not only that, it gets bloody hot up there with a laptop, wheel and TV producing a lot of heat after a while. :sherlock:

31 minutes ago, davejm said:

Brilliant @Meerman.  Although if you've adjusted the field of view based on the screen being closer, surely it should be a bit wider than it was before because you have a closer window in to the action, so can see more?  Or am I being stupid?  I must admit all of this FOV stuff makes my head hurt at times.

Oh yeah you're right! Did I say narrower? I meant wider. :D :unsure:

And that's a great setup. @davejm. And you can't go wrong with that wheel.

I need SimDashboard as well, going to take care of that soon (I assume you've got that running on the phone?)

Seating position is everything, I've found. See if you can stop the swivel with a pin or something.