rllmuk
Jamie John

Animal Crossing 'Open Islands' Contest - Final RESULTS now being posted - currently showing 1st place

Nice idea. Maybe in another few weeks when I have landscaping unlocked and can max out my house space.

• Upvote 1

I'm down for this too, but also up for giving people time to get their shit together. Virtual Chelsea Flower Show (last week of May?) would be my suggestion :)

• Upvote 2

This sounds like a lovely idea and I’d be game.

An overall open “best island” would probably be the main prize. With no criteria. It’s just what people like.

But maybe there could be little categories that focus a little on smaller scale elements

* Best garden 

* Best representation of a penis on the minimap

Although maybe that pushes people into building certain things. So just a “best feature” where people vote for their favourite parts of islands.

• Upvote 4

This sounds cool. I love visiting other islands for a poke about to see all the hidden little secrets. 

Is there some sort of better way that I can narrate the tour of the umbrella zoo other than typing it out over and over again...? So people can experience it when I’m afk as well?
Need some in game headsets they have at museums... 

6 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

This sounds like a lovely idea and I’d be game.

An overall open “best island” would probably be the main prize. With no criteria. It’s just what people like.

But maybe there could be little categories that focus a little on smaller scale elements

* Best garden 

* Best representation of a penis on the minimap

Although maybe that pushes people into building certain things. So just a “best feature” where people vote for their favourite parts of islands.

Oh more ideas...

* Best home

* Best room

Great ^_^

In that case I think we should get some dates decided upon. Although I agree that people need some more time to progress through the game enough to unlock enough stuff to get their island looking nice, at the same time I don't want to leave it so long that the AC buzz has died down and people have moved on to other things by the time we have come to the contest (although AC is LIFE so that's obviously never going to happen).

I think @Lyrical Donut's suggestion of making it coincide with the Chelsea Flower Show (even if it probably won't happen this year) is nice, but at the same time a month and a half seems like a long time to wait. I was thinking we could start the 'prep week' as early as the 20th of this month, which happens to be a Monday, and will also be exactly one month since the game's release. After that the viewing window would begin w/c 27th April and then voting could take place a week later from 4th May. Do people like that idea or is it too early?

As for @thesnwmn's suggestion regarding categories, that sounds like it'd be fun, too, although I think they'd have to be nominal awards only - organising prize money for each one would be a bit too much of a faff and would take away from the main prize pot. But yeah, 'Best individual feature', 'Best home', 'Best room' all sound good. Any others?

I'll put a list in the OP of people who have said that they want to take part along with their AC and island names. If this info isn't on the spreadsheet in the main thread anyway, please add it or let me know via PM. If your name gets added to the list but you change your mind, just let me know.

Cool!

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago but somehow missed the thread. 

There are no doubt some people who have invested as much time in their house as they have in their island, especially as landscaping has only become available to even the most regular players within the past couple of days.

Here's my suggestion for categories

Best overall island

Best overall house interior 

Most creative location within an island 

Best individual room within a house

Best use of flowers

Most creative use of available items

That's it. 

Suggest people are limited to submissions in 2 categories only to reduce judging overhead. Deadline for submissions 9pm Friday 1 May.

Judging to take place during next weekend 2-3 May then voting next Monday 4 May.

Happy to help administrate.

Jetman

Thanks @NexivRed for the heads up, sounds like fun and definitely up for it. I would post a note of caution though, if we start posting dodo codes Willy nilly its already been proven there's some unsavoury types about who will happily pick rare flowers and sprint through stuff, so maybe we need some kind of discord/PM thing to allow judges to enter islands.

Perhaps everyone should choose a day/ half day they’re willing to be open for? Then post a code?

I think I was a bit premature when I first suggested this, but now that the game has been out for more than a month it might be a better time to do it. Unfortunately, work (and an 18 month old with cabin fever) has now meant I'm a lot busier than I was back when I made the thread, so although I'd be able to administrate a general 'Best island' award (including both the island and house), if people want to start doing lots of individual categories then someone else who has a bit more time might be better suited to the task. We could always keep it simple to begin with and then do another round in June or something with more categories. I'm happy to go with the forum hivemind.

Anyway, who's still up for it? So far the following people have registered an interest:

@jonamok

@Lyrical Donut

@thesnwmn

@NexivRed

@skittles

@letsbook

@Rob Rule

@spanx

@MagicalDrop

@Alan Stock

That's 10, but I think we'd need a few more entrants to make it interesting. Magical Drop's timings sound good, however: this week to get ready, next weekend to judge, week after to vote and then results the following weekend. If people like the prize money idea then we'd have to organise a time for the bells to be collated - they'd have to be sent to me, or whoever else we trust to be the 'treasurer'.

And can we not just use the Turnip exchange website to solve the dodo code issue? Make it private and for friends only?

• Upvote 1

I’m in :)

Only just started venturing online but I’ll join in, pretty much the whole left of my island needs work but happy with the rest so far so would be good to get some feedback, it’s a shared island with my wife and 7 and 4 year old girls 

My friend code is SW-3054-6535-9129, have added to Google sheet :)

I think I’m out for now, very much still a mess of an island and a work in progress.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

And can we not just use the Turnip exchange website to solve the dodo code issue? Make it private and for friends only?

Me and GF are in. (two separate islands)

Probably shouldn't use turnip exchange as it's getting some bad press at the moment for breaches of nintendo terms of service.

Happy to be a judge, but not ready to enter.

Not sure why people are concerned with dodo codes, there's very little a visitor can do and the people on this forum are, for the most part, very trust worthy.

I'd imagine that the competitors would leave their gates open for most of a day and then we can all go between them. It'll likely take a week or so to do all the visits and judging.

Maybe have a panel of 10 nominated judges? Or 8 and everyone can enter at once..

My island is still a shit-hole, but happy to open up for crackden purposes. 

Nah, kidding, but this is a great idea. 

17 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

There are no doubt some people who have invested as much time in their house as they have in their island, especially as landscaping has only become available to even the most regular players within the past couple of days.

I've had the landscaping tools for three or four days despite starting a week after everyone else, what's the bottleneck that slows down their unlocking? Does me using amiibo cards to fill my island faster speed it up?

I'll not have finished all my moves until half way through so not sure I can compete in the contest (there's people everywhere and a lot of roads and sand plots with construction signs).