rllmuk
Jamie John

AC:NH Trading Post

I thought it'd be an idea to separate out the trading talk from the main Animal Crossing: New Horizons megathread, where posts can get lost easily, and also to create an FAQ of sorts to provide answers to some questions that are commonly asked regarding trading, which the game doesn't do an especially good job of telling you about. If you can think of any other FAQ questions, any way of improving the format, or if there's anything I've got wrong, let me know and I'll update the OP. 

How it works

Post what items you want and what you can offer in exchange.

Use this Google sheet to find people's codes and names.

Use this Fossil Exchange Google sheet to keep track of fossil wants and spares.

Original post:

Spoiler

Simply make a post using the template below to request items and/or post your duplicate fossils. Forumites who think they can meet your needs based on what they have in storage and/or their item catalogues can quote your post and set up an exchange. It's up to you and the person you trade with how the exchange is conducted: you can either pay them the value of the item plus a finder's fee (say 10%), ideally rounded to the nearest 1,000 or 10,000 bells; swap the item you want for an item you have that the person you're trading with wants; or some kind souls might sort you out with an item free of charge. For duplicate fossil trades, straight swaps or free donations are probably best. In the template, I've suggested posting your friend code, Switch name, AC name and island name to make it easier for the person you're exchanging with (this info is also available on @thesnwmn's handy Google sheet).

When it comes to requests, be quite specific (i.e., don't just write 'Cool stuff') and if you want items in a particular set or that belong to a particular theme then list what you have already. I think we should also limit ourselves to no more than three active requests at any one time per forumite to try to mitigate confusion. As requests are met and new requests are made, users should update their earlier posts to show that they no longer require these items.

Lastly, trading is supposed to be a fun and communal metagame to the main AC experience, so in light of the chilled-out nature of the game, try not to take it too seriously :hat:

Template

Forum name:

Friend code:

Switch username:

AC Name:

AC Island:

Wanted 1:

Wanted 2:

Wanted 3:

Duplicate fossils for trade:

-------------

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Trading FAQ

Spoiler

What can be traded?

More or less everything except bugs, fish and certain special items. Furniture, fruit, fossils, flowers, shells, clothing, materials, bags of bells, unlearnt DIY recipe cards and pretty much everything else can all be exchanged in some way or another.

How do I trade items with another user?

There are a few different methods depending on the situation:

1) Drop the item for the other user to collect in person.

This is the easiest way to trade. To do this, you will need to actually have access to the item (i.e., it's on your person or accessible from storage). Visit the airport and tell Orville you want to invite visitors. If the person you're trading with is a friend then choose 'All my friends' when he asks you who you want to invite:

Spoiler

EUO-5HFU0AAwGAv?format=jpg&name=large

The recipient will then be able to access your island from their airport. If the recipient is not on your friend's list then you will have to choose 'Invite via Dodo Code'. You will then need to let the recipient know what this code is.

Once, or before, the recipient arrives, select the item to be traded from your inventory and select 'drop item' (not 'place item'). The item will appear on the floor. The recipient should then be able to pick it up and add it to their own inventory.

2) Send the item as a gift with a postcard.

To do this, as with method 1, you will need access to the item. You will also need to be friends with the person you're trading with and you will need to have either visited their island at least once or they will have had to have visited yours. Go to the postcard stand at the airport and choose a card (they all cost 200 bells). When Orville asks you who you want to send it to, choose 'A friend' then select the relevant person. Write your message, then click on the 'add present' icon to choose your gift:

Spoiler

EUO-5GxUwAEQ7Hz?format=jpg&name=large

Send the card. The person you're sending it to will receive it that day in the post box next to their house (they may need to go in and out of a building to 'refresh' their post box though). If you are the recipient of a traded item then you can use this method to send bells to the sender of the item in order to 'pay' for it (see below for more info re. bell bags). Bear in mind that only two messages with attached gifts can be sent to another player each day.

3) Order the item as a gift to the trader's island

Use this option if the item to be traded is in your Nook Stop catalogue but you don't actually have access to a physical version of it yourself, or if you do have access to the item but you want to send a duplicate so you can keep the original. You will also need to be friends with the person you're trading with and you will need to have either visited their island at least once or they will have had to have visited yours. Visit the Nook Stop in Resident Services. Click on 'Nook Shopping'. Choose the item to be traded and then hit 'Send as a gift'. The process from then on is almost exactly the same as method 2: choose the friend, choose the card, write your message and send. The only difference this time is that you don't need to attach the item as this has been done for you, and (as far as I'm aware) you don't have to pay the 200 bells for the postcard. The person you send the item to will receive it either that day or the next day (anyone able to confirm regarding this?). Bear in mind that only two gift items can be ordered and sent to another player each day.

Spoiler

EUO-5G7UwAE-D0J?format=jpg&name=large

How do I know how much an item is worth?

Most items will have their value listed in the Nook Stop catalogue. For those that don't, negotiate a price with the buyer.

How do I create bags of bells so I can pay for items?

Open up your inventory, move the cursor down to your wallet and click on it. You will be given a list of bell bags in different denominations. Choose the one you want. They will appear in your inventory.

Spoiler

EUO_CQuU8AEYIQd?format=jpg&name=large

From there you can drop them at the feet of the person you're trading with if they're there in person, or attach them to postcards at the airport. Bear in mind you can only attach one item at a time, so sending the exact change for an item will take multiple postcards and you're better off just rounding up or meeting up with the trader in person so you can drop multiple 1,000 or 100 bags in front of them.

Why are some items listed as 'Not for Sale' in the Nook Stop catalogue?

These are either special gift items or items that you have created from a DIY recipe. If you want to send these as a gift then you have to send the original, if you still own it, or create a duplicate of the item from the recipe.

How do I know what fossils I already own?

If you take an assessed fossil to Blathers that you have donated already then you won't be able to donate it again, so you know it's a duplicate. As for a list of previously-donated fossils, annoyingly there is no Critterpedia equivalent for this in the same way that there is for fish and bugs. You can either go round the museum and make a note of the fossils you own, or, if you go to your Nook Stop catalogue and click on the 'Wallpaper, flooring and more' icon, there is a fossils tab showing a list of all the fossils you have, at some point, owned and which you have most likely donated. Fossil trading will likely become more relevant as time goes by and people start wanting specific trades.

Spoiler

EUO_CQZUUAADT8v?format=jpg&name=large

• Upvote 6

I'll get things rolling:

Forum name: Jamie John

Friend code: 2649-7243-6308

Switch username: Jamie

AC Name: Jamie

AC Island: Dewey Dell

Wanted 1: Gym equipment for my beach gym: bench press, weights, yoga mat - that sort of thing. Already own: speed bag, punching bag, pull up bar, barbell, exercise bike and protein shaker.

Wanted 2: Japanese culinary items/bamboo set for my exterior dining area. Already own: bamboo noodle slide, traditional Japanese open stove, bamboo basket, bamboo lamp, wooden fish, bamboo bench.

Wanted 3: Playground equipment for my children's play area: swings, see-saws, roundabouts, outdoor games. Already own: elephant slide, wooden toy set, ring toss, American football, tricycle.

Duplicate fossils for trade: Spino Torso; Brachio Tail

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Do you own a a bar bell and/or the recipe? I have a spare recipe card.

Nope, but that's be great!

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Also I think we have a spare rice cooker if that's of interest.

Yep, that'll do nicely. I want one of those IRL, too. Do you have a spare IRL one? Can pay you in bells.

:lol:

I'll log in tomorrow, confirm the presence or otherwise of said spare cooker and friend/send you something. And talk to my wife about what sort of things we're after.

• Upvote 1

Forum name: Lyrical Donut

Friend code: 5371-2060-1455

Switch username: Donut

AC Name: Donut 

AC Island: Donutville

Wanted 1: Bathroom stuff (it'll be my next room upgrade, given what's in my storage atm)

Wanted 2: Kitchen furniture (it currently looks like a student setup)

Wanted 3: ARCADE MACHINES / mancave nonsense (no rush, but I'll be clucking when I get my basement sorted)

Duplicate fossils for trade:

Currently N/A - I've traded / given away some spare bits already

9 hours ago, Laminated Tramp said:

@Jamie John, I can get you a weight bench. Can sort it out for you tomorrow along with the espresso machine.

Will have a think and make a wanted post tomorrow.

Yes please!

9 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Wanted 1: Bathroom stuff (it'll be my next room upgrade, given what's in my storage atm)

I've got the squat toilet and the wooden sink, if that's any use.

Edit: Now also have the bathroom sink that comes with a mirror and a long bathtub in turquoise.

@Jamie John

Can confirm we have spare barbell and spare rice cooker.

We are interested in outdoor cooking/picnic items. We have: barbecue, pizza oven, picnic basket, outdoor water cooler, hearth.

We are also interested in kitchenwares. We have: pot rack, coffee machine, mini fridge, microwave, soup kettle, kettle, steamer, rice cooker, toaster

23 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

@Jamie John

Can confirm we have spare barbell and spare rice cooker.

We are interested in outdoor cooking/picnic items. We have: barbecue, pizza oven, picnic basket, outdoor water cooler, hearth.

We are also interested in kitchenwares. We have: pot rack, coffee machine, mini fridge, microwave, soup kettle, kettle, steamer, rice cooker, toaster

Ok. I've got a stand mixer (basically a Kitchenaid) in pink and an analog scale in dark green I can swap you for your barbell and rice cooker?

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Done! My friend code is 6173-7901-7419. We're online now if you want to visit, otherwise I'll post them later.

Great - just added you. Will try to come over now but may be AFK suddenly.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yes please!

I've got the squat toilet and the wooden sink, if that's any use.

Edit: Now also have the bathroom sink that comes with a mirror and a long bathtub in turquoise.

Ooh, yes please. Definitely interested in the sink/mirror and squat toilet.

I've got a tricycle and a bamboo bench if you're interested.

3 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Ooh, yes please. Definitely interested in the sink/mirror and squat toilet.

I've got a tricycle and a bamboo bench if you're interested.

Just got a tricycle but bamboo bench sounds good. I'll be online later or will send them to you if not.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Just got a tricycle but bamboo bench sounds good. I'll be online later or will send them to you if not.

Need an exercise bike?

STOP PRESS!

Items arrive the same day! I've just received the items @Lyrical Donut sent me and an unexpected but welcome protein shaker donation from @ryodi. Cheers both ^_^

I'll update the FAQs.

I've just added you @Jamie John

Forum name: Laminated Tramp

Friend code: SW-2378-9589-5773

Switch username: hardy_m

AC Name: Hardy

AC Island: Kay hole

Wanted 1: Armchairs and a tall lamp (not the folding one)

Wanted 2: Kitchen counters, coffee cups

Wanted 3: Games room stuff. Already have a dartboard

Duplicate fossils for trade: Plesio body & tail, Myllokunmingia, Megacero tail, Iguanodon skull, Diplo skull, Archelon tail

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Laminated Tramp said:

I've just added you @Jamie John

Forum name: Laminated Tramp

Friend code: SW-2378-9589-5773

Switch username: hardy_m

AC Name: Hardy

AC Island: Kay hole

Wanted 1: Armchairs and a tall lamp (not the folding one)

Wanted 2: Kitchen counters, coffee cups

Wanted 3: Games room stuff. Already have a dartboard

Duplicate fossils for trade: Plesio body & tail, Myllokunmingia, Megacero tail, Iguanodon skull, Diplo skull, Archelon tail

Cheers. I've got a dark blue coffee cup you can have. Gate is open if you want to come over.

Forum name: CovisGod

Friend code: Incoming!

Switch username: CovisGod

AC Name: Tommy

AC Island: Demalicé 

Wanted 1 Diner / Sweets / Kitchen related shiz, ie Diner Counter, Diner Floor, Kitchen Worktops etc.

Wanted 2: Games room stuff - Dart Board (will add more)

Wanted 3: Recipes & Star Fragments

7 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Forum name: CovisGod

Friend code: Incoming!

Switch username: CovisGod

AC Name: Tommy

AC Island: Demalicé 

Wanted 1 Diner / Sweets / Kitchen related shiz, ie Diner Counter, Diner Floor, Kitchen Worktops etc.

Wanted 2: Games room stuff - Dart Board (will add more)

Wanted 3: Recipes & Star Fragments

I can order you a candy machine if you want?