Devs - Alex Garland sci-fi TV show

Spoiler

Also by seeing it and telling him about it she caused it to happen, so it reduced/eliminated the amount of universes he survives in.

As well as Katie wanting to follow the determined path, he was also a risk in that he knew all about Devs and could potentially blow the lid open if he didn’t get his way.

I liked this and I love recent Alex Garland, but I didn’t find it as clever or deep as it thought it was. Perhaps because I’ve been exposed to these concepts heavily already. Rather than being left wanting more, I was left wishing it had been more. 

I also think the cast were broadly wrong for their roles and the main actress was out of her depth. I think I’d have enjoyed it more with a really powerful performance underpinning everything.

It doesn't posit itself as particularly clever or deep though, I would say that is projection on your part. As others have posted previously, the story is told fairly straightforwardly, with little hidden from the viewer to be revealed as gotcha moments later on, despite how easy it would have been to do so.

Spoiler

Forrest's grief has caused him to refuse to believe in many worlds, as that absolves him of his partial responsibility for the death of his family.

Katie is explicitly shown to believe in many worlds, and many worlds is the only way the system can work. She forgoes her own belief for the chance to be with Forrest as a replacement for his wife.

I thought it was an excellent series and would highly recommend.

TV's mixing of quantum physics and quasi-religious iconography has always rubbed me the wrong way. It explored a few notions that have been explored elsewhere but didn't have much to say, besides some of those ideas are neat and present interesting paradoxes, and the

Spoiler

simulation hypothesis

is interesting. It is interesting, but the show doesn't do a lot with it. I was expecting another level of intrigue, like

Spoiler

the initial reality of the show in which we spend most of our time turns out to be a simulation, and the machine was interfacing with another machine in base reality (or at least the reality in which they're being simulated) and affecting the simulation to cause events to transpire. 

Either that or the themes would be mirrored and bear out in the character arcs more deeply. But it all wrapped up quite neatly and disappointingly without really piquing my imagination or emotions much past the first few episodes. Reading an Indiewire article with Garland afterwards also made me think he doesn't have much of a grasp on the subject beyond a surface sci-fi screenwriter level, and some of his themes were a bit clumsy and overdone (fringe science and religion being interchangeable, omnipotent paradox etc. It's a bit "makes u think").

I'm not really dunking on it , I did enjoy it. Just not as much as Annihilation or Ex Machina which I found really engaging intellectually and emotionally.

Haha I wonder why that might be!

Are you in the field yourself Moz? I imagine as soon as you’re into this kind of thing, fiction based on it is basically ruined for you. They have to make a show that will appeal to a broader audience after all. 

(sorry about the double post, quoting is shagged on iOS)

Ha no! I spent my 20s getting stoned and reading popular science and sci-fi books. I was affected by Annihilation and Ex Machina more deeply (in totally different ways) than anything Garland had done before and I attributed it to his move into the director's chair. So I was looking forward to 8 full episodes directed by him but it didn't quite hit the spot.

12 hours ago, choddo said:

I thought Annihilation was good for the first 30 minutes then completely forgot what it wanted to say.

You could say that about 2001 though. The onus is on you to interpret it.

I'd probably tweak the ending and go really dark with a montage of the

Spoiler

simulated Lily revenge-killing simulated Forest's simulated family in every simulated reality, prompting simulated Forest to build another machine inside each simulated reality, causing a fractal cascade of infinite branching nested realities being simulated which overload and crash the system in the show's baseline reality, finally revealing that the baseline reality is in fact just another simulation which crashes, perhaps sending crashes infinitely up through the chain of realities crashing every machine simulating every nested reality all the way back to true baseline reality, or at least as far up as there is processing power capable of running infinite nested simulations. I'm really interested in the question of how the inhabitants of a simulated reality might create simulated realities of their own, but more interested in the question of how they might contact or affect the reality in which they're being simulated. Assume you have free will and believed our current reality was a simulation, how would you crash it?

I'm not stoned now I promise. Though reading that back I'm starting to wonder.

I agree. 

Alex Garland would have written and directed a really interesting Assassin’s Creed film though. That’s not meant as an insult. 

Dislikers unite! Sorry, but I didn't get on with this either. The production, acting etc. were all spot on, but two things put me off.

The pacing. It was a story easily told in an hour or two. There was just too much padding.

The soundtrack. Oh my god the droning noises. It wasn't building tension with me, just annoyance. 

mute/10

I did like it, just not as much as I expected to. I liked the soundtrack. Agree it was more of a short story - could have been told as a film, something akin to Arrival.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to this party, but I'm firmly on the side of thinking this was pretty great. It's also the first show in ages that hasn't disappointed me, so extra marks for making me feel less certain I'm just becoming a miserable grump. 

Took me a little while to realise that Kenton was in Deadwood. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished this. Enjoyed it a lot. The only science thing that slightly bothered me was in Ep 8...

Spoiler

Why didn’t Lily and Forest get bloated and partially freeze-dried in the vacuum between the Devs chamber and the other shell. Should have been cold in there, right?

Anyway, lovely stuff.

17 hours ago, jonamok said:

Just finished this. Enjoyed it a lot. The only science thing that slightly bothered me was in Ep 8...

Hide contents

Why didn’t Lily and Forest get bloated and partially freeze-dried in the vacuum between the Devs chamber and the other shell. Should have been cold in there, right?

Anyway, lovely stuff.

Spoiler

Edit: massive content warning on this link - details of animal experiments lurk within

Survival in Space Unprotected Is Possible--Briefly

I think the freezing effect of vacuums has been overstated by cinema. Sure, the rapid expansion of whatever atmosphere you had will feel cold, but once that's gone there's nothing left to cool you down further. Indeed, one of the serious engineering problems faced by spacecraft is finding a way to get rid of heat - no atmosphere means no loss via convection.

I just finished watching this too:

Spoiler

Some of incongruous points like why they didn't try a change fate I think can mainly be explained by their motivations, also the idea that by observing they essentially selected the future they would experience.

Letting Lynton get on the bridge was still a dick move!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 22:01, three1ne said:
  Hide contents

Right. But she believed in the multi verse theory didn't she? She though Forrest was wrong with the single verse?

Just because she's a bit of a dick I don't see why she'd actively goed Lyndon to his death. All he wanted was to get his job back. 

Just watched it through to the end myself.

I saw that scene as basically a murder, she persuaded someone to kill themselves pretending it was a dare but knowing full well it would end in death. Maybe it was just the actress but Katie came across as quite inhuman already, the outburst at the lecture etc. so I went into that scene with strong suspicion of what she was doing.

As to why - they murdered Sergei for industrial espionage in the first episode, and Forest threatened Linden when (he?) was fired - Stuart even warned they would kill (him?) if he talked so it was not even remotely a stretch to think that’s what was going on. Tying up loose ends to protect their secret.

They absolved themselves of any blame for all the murder etc through their belief that they had no choice in the matter.

Regarding Linden, I watched the whole show viewing her as a female character, especially after they said she was 19 I never remotely considered it was supposed to be a male until I came to post about the show and read this. I’m not familiar with the name Linden, I guess I missed a personal pronoun or two.