rllmuk
BadgerFarmer

Journey to the Savage Planet - 28/01/2020 - PC, XBox1, PS4

On 27/01/2020 at 18:52, HarryBizzle said:

There is literally no information in that article relating why it's not coming to Game Pass at some point. It just says it's not coming at launch.

And the wording from the dev doesn’t exactly say it won’t be coming to Game Pass, in fact it implies the opposite: ‘Seems to be a mistake. JTTSP is not coming to Game Pass tomorrow.‘

36 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah the npc thing has me confused, but I've noticed any bugs no. Not yet anyway.

Sorry, wasn't thinking. By NPC I just meant the creatures themselves. I've had multiple rocket into the sky and others float 6ft or so above the ground.

13 hours ago, Jamie John said:

@murray and @elmo were both bigging this up on this week's TCGS podcast and it sounds like a great explore 'em up. Definitely going to get on it.

Thanks! And here's our first impressions in video form.

• Upvote 3

The bugs I saw seemed to be a one off. Never happened again.

Currently 12 hours in and this is wonderful. Brilliant level design, constantly edging you forward when you realise how you can now get somewhere previously unreachable. 

• Upvote 4

Bought this on Friday, really enjoyed Alex Hutchinsons Column in Edge. Really nice insights and very entertaining. Least I could do was show my support and at £25 its a no brainer.

I hope it does well for them, but there seems to be a bit of a flood of games that aesthetically look quite similar on paper, not to us fanatical peeps, who can tell the Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds are chalk and cheese but to Joe public they might not.

• Upvote 1

I didn’t know this dude had a column in Edge. He was on the Designer Notes podcast recently (although it was recorded in 2016). He was a great guest, very engaging and funny with a lot of interesting stuff to say. I’ll be picking this game up for sure. 

I'm really liking it but my OH has basically bumped up against the late game platforming (she really doesn't like that style of game). She was loving it up to that point.

Regarding an alternate ending (massive spoiler)

When you get to 100% fuel regardless of where you are with the missions you can just leave. There's an achievement.

I love how awful all the live action stuff is. The adverts start to grate when they auto play as you enter the Javelin but I think that's the point. 

I found the platforming fine once I got the triple jump upgrade. If you haven't, it's worth doing the experiments to unlock it.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I love how awful all the live action stuff is. The adverts start to grate when they auto play as you enter the Javelin but I think that's the point. 

Indeed. Which one is the savage planet? Hmm? Yeah.

I think while a lot of the satire is very obvious and on the nose, the way it works with the game structure makes it quite interesting in some ways.

• Upvote 1

Bought this for £13 with my Epic store discount voucher.  Even at £23 it was cheaper than I was expecting when I went into the store, and was delighted to see my voucher was still valid.  Result!

Is anyone still playing this? I need to find a co-op partner on PS4 to help me with the final boss..

I've been dipping in and out, but only on PC.  Not a very helpful reply I'm afraid!

I picked this up in the Xbox sale for £14.99 and I'm really enjoying it. After Doom, I've been looking for something a bit more chilled out and open ended, especially with the currently lockdown stuff going on. This seems just what I need.

IMG-0165.jpg

IMG-0164.jpg

All that to explore!

• Upvote 1

This game is wonderful. Some of the reviews made it sound like an open ended game lacking structure, but it’s got plenty. It’s just gives you lots of freedom, too. 

It reminds me of a bit of a cross between Metroid Prime and No Man’s Sky.

I’m absolutely loving it. 

hYqvxOB.jpg

• Upvote 4

I finished this today. What a game. It's got its flaws, but on the whole, I loved it. They manage to create a brilliant world with rewarding exploration and a genuine sense of discovery. The world design is brilliant. Locations are linked together in unexpected ways, they make wonderful use of perspective and it's just great fun to muck about in.

It's a very different game to BOTW, but reminds me of it with the sense that you can go pretty much anywhere, you'll always be rewarded in some way for exploring, and it creates a beautiful world with alien/ancient tech in it that you go around exploring.

I played the whole thing in single player and despite some initial difficulty with the combat, it gets much easier as you unlock upgrades. The last boss was actually a walk in the park.

I've got 80% completion but will probably go back and mop up a few more bits. 

• Upvote 4

On 27/01/2020 at 16:48, HarryBizzle said:

How long do we reckon before Game Pass? I give it 3 months.

Close!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

Close!

Yep. Guess I was right. Still didn’t stop me buying it though.

Looking back through the thread I think that the trailers pitch this game totally wrong. It looks like an indie game which relies heavily on having a co-op buddy to make it better, filled with stupid humour and doesn’t really demonstrate any of the games strengths.

The humour does run through the game but it actually works quite well - your ship is full of all the unbearable space exploration company crap. It’s horrrible being in there and you just pop in, 3D print a new upgrade and get the hell back out to the wonderful solitude of exploring the planet. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yep. Guess I was right. Still didn’t stop me buying it though.

Looking back through the thread I think that the trailers pitch this game totally wrong. It looks like an indie game which relies heavily on having a co-op buddy to make it better, filled with stupid humour and doesn’t really demonstrate any of the games strengths.

The humour does run through the game but it actually works quite well - your ship is full of all the unbearable space exploration company crap. It’s horrrible being in there and you just pop in, 3D print a new upgrade and get the hell back out to the wonderful solitude of exploring the planet. 

Is it good then? I haven’t read through the thread (as you can see, the last time I looked in here was when you made your prediction!). I was going to give it a go after Ori.

This is rather good. Started it in co-op with @batistutauk last night and despite a few "huh?" moments we sank just over 2 hours into it exploring and hoovering up resources. We're only up to just beyond the first "boss", but it has a No Man's Sky vibe except with an actual guided story / quest running through it. 

Gamepass is the gift that keeps on giving :) 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JPL said:

Is it good then? I haven’t read through the thread (as you can see, the last time I looked in here was when you made your prediction!). I was going to give it a go after Ori.

It's really good, yeah.

On 31/01/2020 at 06:48, Eighthours said:

And the wording from the dev doesn’t exactly say it won’t be coming to Game Pass, in fact it implies the opposite: ‘Seems to be a mistake. JTTSP is not coming to Game Pass tomorrow.‘

Yup!

Wondering if this is bugged, I got to the Up Up And Away mission where you need to unblock 3 extractor switches to access the shrine. However when I fire the green plant stuff to destroy the amber around them the extractors don't move. When I look at youtube playthroughs they start pumping like oil drills. 

Anybody got any protips? Going back to the shrine after switches activated 3 of 3 just tells me it's blocked.

Have you tried scanning them?

Other than that, the save system is pretty good, so maybe quit and reload. 

Yeah scanned the shrine and the extractors, no difference, also quit and reloaded and it’s the same. Clear off the amber and they don’t move.

I just done that mission as well, using the acid turd balls from nearby plants to dissolve the amber, unlocks the super boost?

Try throwing more acid at the pumps again?

Yep, been lobbing it at them even when cleared and nothing. The pink squid things also free it so was letting them fire their gunk at them. No random bit behind the shrine to clear or anything daft I'm missing? 

I know it was three pumps with the shrine on a middle island (was that covered in Amber?). I will have a check later and see if there is anything I can see, I am currently in that area of the game anyway.

• Upvote 1