rllmuk
Robo_1

E3 2020 - Sony Not Attending

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Ah . All of the sudden next generation exclusives are shafting the userbase for the previous gen . Gotcha. I wonder what event could have caused this sudden concern . 

I think it was Sony saying their first party stuff is going to not be for Ps4 owners.  Reminds me of when Ms dropped the original Xbox early to get a head start on Xbox 360 stuff.   I don't blame them. If that's what they think is the best way to show off a potentially technically weaker console then fair play to them.   I'll be buying one anyway as long as it's relatively quiet.  The games are going to be great and it's going to be cool traversing across an open world super fast like in that Ps5 Spiderman demo. 

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

What's this about MS buying From? That puts the kibosh on a sequel to Bloodborne, surely.

It’s not true! I assume it was a joke post following someone’s joke announcement of them buying Konami.

33 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s not true! I assume it was a joke post following someone’s joke announcement of them buying Konami.

+1

i didn’t think it would last one post...

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Microsoft should buy Sony and then simply cancel the PS5.

(Stan told me that) Sony aren’t exhibiting at E3 because they’re in the last stages of a secret buyout by Apple, and Apple only want to present stuff in the Steve Jobs Theatre.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Microsoft should buy Sony and then simply cancel the PS5.

Apple should buy Sega, fund the Dreamcast 2. 

E3 auto-win. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone says about how Sony don't need E3 and all that, but thats missing the point entirely.

Can anyone remember when FFVII remake, Shemue 3 and Last Guardian were announced? That was history being made right there.

I'll miss all that shit.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Such a shame that you can only ever announce things at E3. But who are we to change the law, you can’t fight City Hall.

• Upvote 3

On 14/01/2020 at 16:20, Stanley said:

No doubt there will still be plenty of PS5 games at the show anyway as the third parties all start revealing their wares. 

I wonder though, if they’re not going to reveal PS5 at E3 then when/where will they do that? Hopefully before E3.

The PS4, PS Vita and Nintendo's Switch didn't get revealed at E3. The only part of E3 that most people pay attention to is the bit which happens before the E3 trade show actually officially happens.

PlayStation Meetings have generally been scheduled for early in the year for new gen reveals. I'd fully expect the PS5 to be shown before the summer to the general press.

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

The PS4, PS Vita and Nintendo's Switch didn't get revealed at E3. The only part of E3 that most people pay attention to is the bit which happens before the E3 trade show actually officially happens.

Neither did XB1 or the 360, I thought?

So why the fuss over the pre-E3 press briefing then? That can be held at any time or place in the world.

X360 was revealed on a MTV broadcast special FFS, X1 technically got revealed in May of that year, but the game part was largely held back for E3 so for all practical purposes, it was launched at E3 as a games machine :)

14 minutes ago, mushashi said:

X1 technically got revealed in May of that year, but the TV, TeeVee, tv, Television, & Kinect part was largely held back for E3 so for all practical purposes, it was launched at E3 as a cable box that couldn't play pre-owned games.:)

Fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Rumours of Nintendo as well but I reckon that’s people getting mixed up with them not having a conference anymore rather than not being a presence on the show floor.

I quite like E3. Not the event, I doubt I’ll ever go, but all the news about new games all at once.

The thought of having to watch through all the YouTubers and influencers sounds pretty awful.

Basically they need more new games, Keane every year and Ubisoft need to bring back Aisha Tyler and Sony need to get over themselves and play again, but without the banjo playing last of us nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I quite like E3. Not the event, I doubt I’ll ever go, but all the news about new games all at once.

The thought of having to watch through all the YouTubers and influencers sounds pretty awful.

Basically they need more new games, Keane every year and Ubisoft need to bring back Aisha Tyler and Sony need to get over themselves and play again, but without the banjo playing last of us nonsense.

I don’t think anybody is planning to just distribute their information via youtubers, unless you mean the Sony YouTube channel. They’ll probably still do a press conference for the PS5, just not at e3 or around that time.

e3 just doesn’t really make sense anymore. When the industry was small, banding together to attract attention was necessary. And when all information had to be distributed by journalists, gathering them and you together made sense to maximise exposure for everyone.

Now, the internet means that journalists jobs at e3 are partially pointless. All the old news is irrelevant, because everyone can hear it at the same time and you don’t need to pay for someone to go to LA to do that. And the big publishers don’t need each other to attract attention. If you’re Sony, and your Twitter stream is going to get the same number of viewers whether you do it at e3 or not, why share the stage with Microsoft? Why make all your announcements the same week they do?

51 minutes ago, Broker said:

I don’t think anybody is planning to just distribute their information via youtubers, unless you mean the Sony YouTube channel. They’ll probably still do a press conference for the PS5, just not at e3 or around that time.

e3 just doesn’t really make sense anymore. When the industry was small, banding together to attract attention was necessary. And when all information had to be distributed by journalists, gathering them and you together made sense to maximise exposure for everyone.

Now, the internet means that journalists jobs at e3 are partially pointless. All the old news is irrelevant, because everyone can hear it at the same time and you don’t need to pay for someone to go to LA to do that. And the big publishers don’t need each other to attract attention. If you’re Sony, and your Twitter stream is going to get the same number of viewers whether you do it at e3 or not, why share the stage with Microsoft? Why make all your announcements the same week they do?

I don’t think you’re wrong and I can see why the big boys might not want to share a stage. But not everyone is a massive publisher. There’s so many games that get press because they’re at E3, if they just released a trailer online nobody would watch it. The big publishers benefit in the long term by getting eyes on what could be the next big thing, that in a few years they could be proudly parading out onto their stage.

It’s a bit like saying what’s the point of music festivals when you can just go to individual gigs? One of the best parts of a festivals is wandering around discovering new music in between seeing the headliners. And if you’re not there, good coverage by journalists and broadcasters can do it for you. Same with E3.

Now...they are fucking this aspect of E3 up at the moment don’t get me wrong. All of the above doesn’t happen if the journalists/youtubers etc. can’t discover anything new because the queues are insane and they can’t just walk up and play stuff on a whim.

But I think E3 needs fixing, not getting rid of.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I’m referring to the talk of them bringing in all these youtubers and influencers to take part in the show.

I do love e3, I just think the days of it being the big spectacle are numbered. If it’s going to be full of influencers and members of the public then it’s just like numerous other events.

I think the Information Age (or whatever it is) kind of diluted the impact of E3 for me. It's not just the fact that there are these livestreamed events bringing reveals to everyone at the same time, but before the events happen you're preparing a pitch to an audience who frequently digests news and opinions online every day. I think around the late '90s I went through a phase of reading (don't laugh) Gamesmaster magazine; since I wasn't using the internet at the time, those E3 issues were pretty special. Today E3 is just part of the continuous feed of promotion we digest online and in magazines all of the time. In addition, I'm increasingly nonplussed about skipping the live events and just catching up on headlines later - yes, it's nice to join in with live reactions, but you might end up seeing a lot of stuff that simply doesn't interest you. If games coverage is your business (streamers, journalists) then of course it’s in your interest to deliver your hot take on each announcement, but there have been occasions where a show has ended and I felt like I could have used that last hour doing something else... :)